• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Jimmy Howard Not Getting Rest Any Time Soon

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Lots of pressure on Jim Bernard(spelling?) the goaliecoach to make him achieve better rebound control, the sooner the better, alot of teams lately just fire the puck from just inside the blueline and crash the net for rebounds, the defense can only clear so many pucks before it ends it the back of your net...

Edited by mindfly

So this starts begging the questions: If Howard continues his outstanding defense and gets us into the playoffs, who will start for the playoffs? I think if that is the case, and howard is still playing this well, you have to give him consideration. Ozzie looks like he has completely lost it. The argument though is that he looked this way last year and was outstanding when it mattered.

I would hate to make that decision.

I will say this, and am very pleased to be able to say it:

Over the last several years we have been clamouring for a goalie on this team that can stop 30+ shots on goal and win us games doing it, instead of facing 20 shots and allowing 3-4 goals. It looks like, at least for now, Howard is that guy. I am sure other teams will figure him out a bit more next year, but hopefully he will also get better with rebounds and such.

Lots of pressure of Jim Bernard(spelling?) the goaliecoach to make him achieve better rebound control, the sooner the better, alot of teams lately just fire the puck from just inside the blueline and crash the net for rebounds, the defense can only clear so many pucks before it ends it the back of your net...

Sounds an awful lot like a team I used to know.... ;)

The way i look at it, Jimmy needs all the starts as he can get to prove himself(not saying he hasn't played decent for us). Not only that but with all the time the front office let him "season" in GR, he should have the opportunity.

So this starts begging the questions: If Howard continues his outstanding defense and gets us into the playoffs, who will start for the playoffs? I think if that is the case, and howard is still playing this well, you have to give him consideration. Ozzie looks like he has completely lost it. The argument though is that he looked this way last year and was outstanding when it mattered.

That is actually kind of a blessing in disguise.

Howard is playing well. He is gaining the confidence of his coach and team. We know what Ozzie can do. Now we get to see Howard.

Eventually, Howard's hot streak will come to an end. It happens to the best of goalies. When that happens, we still have Ozzie.

If the playoffs come, and Howard is still on this streak, put him in. If not, play Ozzie.

Either we have a hot young 'tender on a streak or one that has proven that he can crank it up for the important games.

Lots of pressure on Jim Bernard(spelling?) the goaliecoach to make him achieve better rebound control, the sooner the better, alot of teams lately just fire the puck from just inside the blueline and crash the net for rebounds, the defense can only clear so many pucks before it ends it the back of your net...

"A lot of teams lately"? You mean Carolina, because they suck too much to actually get quality scoring chances. And of course it's unheard of a team crashing the net! If only we had a goalie that was so good that the other team just took weak shots and then skated back to their own zone because they knew going to the net is pointless.

To me it's a no brainer. We have to stick with Jimmy between the pipes if we make the playoffs. He'll never get playoff experience if we don't give him a chance. Now, if he starts out the gate struggling really bad, then that's a different story. But he's vastly outplayed Osgood on a consistent basis this year. Unless Howard falters, it would be borderline insane to take the starting job away from him for the playoffs.

I will say this, and am very pleased to be able to say it:

Over the last several years we have been clamouring for a goalie on this team that can stop 30+ shots on goal and win us games doing it, instead of facing 20 shots and allowing 3-4 goals. It looks like, at least for now, Howard is that guy. I am sure other teams will figure him out a bit more next year, but hopefully he will also get better with rebounds and such.

Umm, what?

2002-03 3.05 25.0

2003-04 2.24 25.6

2005-06 2.76 26.6

2006-07 2.38 24.6

2007-08 2.09 23.5

2008-09 3.09 27.7

2009-10 2.81 29.5

Last year was the first time since 2003 (when he played for the Blues) that his GAA was over 3. So that is an average of 2-3 goals on an average of 25 shots against. And yes the discrepancy is a big deal when one goal can win/lose a game.

And essentially it looks like Babcock doesn't really care to see what Osgood is playing like right now (keyword is right now) since Howard is at least playing solid and consistent and Detroit is in a serious dog hunt for a playoff position (and the western conference isn't helping any).

Osgood will probably get a few starts AFTER the olympic break and gradually get more if he improves. I am worried about him getting rusty though, but we will see. That isn't the top priority at the moment.

Guest lilja4mvp

babcock isn't in any hurry to throw the worst 5-hole in hockey back out there any time soon.

Even if Babcock is set on going with riding Howard all the way, even into the playoffs, you've got to put Ozzie in once in a while to give the kid a rest ... or is Babcock thinking 2 weeks over Olympics is plenty of rest ?? I'm really concerned that we'll burn this kid out. You can't give a kid like 95% of the games like a Brodeur or Luongo ... even these guys run out of gas. I still think Ozzie should have taken one of the Islanders or Carolina games.

Edited by RedWingsRox

Even if Babcock is set on going with riding Howard all the way, even into the playoffs, you've got to put Ozzie in once in a while to give the kid a rest ... or is Babcock thinking 2 weeks over Olympics is plenty of rest ?? I'm really concerned that we'll burn this kid out. You can't give a kid like 95% of the games like a Brodeur or Luongo ... even these guys run out of gas. I still think Ozzie should have taken one of the Islanders or Carolina games.

I agree with you about burning goalies out. We've all seen what it does to Nabokov, Turco, Luongo, Kipper and to a lesser extent to Brodeur (see last year's playoffs). At this point I think Babcock is just fighting to get the Wings as many wins as possible. Once we're comfortably in the playoffs he'll give Howie a rest.

Not to discredit either side of the goalie debate, as both sides have put forward some tremendous arguments but it truly is amazing that LGW has a goalie debate when they have a goalie who is top 5 in GAA and save % league wide. I think the most interesting stat, however, is the fact that since the end of October, all the Wings losses with Jimmy in net our offense has scored one or fewer goals, with one single exception.

Guest mindfly

This team is not ready to face chicago yet... I fear another shutout, chicago is scary strong and wings are too injured....

I was a bit surprised to see Howard in net against Carolina. I thought after the Islanders game Ozzie would have gotten the start. But, as others have pointed out his rebound control is keeping him from eventually joining the greats. His rebound control, or lack thereof, cost him a shutout against Carolina.

That being said, I don't think Babcock rides him back to back days especially since they are both afternoon games. I would think Ozzie would get one of them.

This team can't afford to play Ozzie right now he's too much of a risk. We are giving up more shots against since who knows and Ozzie probably can't handle that on a consistent basis. Like last nite we were out shot 38 to 35. Ozzie is known for giving up 2-3 goals on 20 shots guys not knocking him but... lol.

We are battling for a playoff spot as well Ozzie is gonna have to deal with it and im sure he already has.