• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Instead of Overeacting educate yourself on the Facts of Ott's Goal

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Just thought I'd make this thread to clear up some confusion on Ott's goal so idiots don't freak out at the wrong thing.

Ott's shot was waved off by the Ref, BUT was ruled a goal by the linesmen. Because of this the Warroom had to have CONCLUSIVE PROOF of the puck NOT CROSSING THE LINE, rather than vice versa which we are more accustomed to seeing.

The linesmen got the wrong call, but due to it they actually followed procedure. Blame the linesmen not the War room. I personally think the procedure is f***ed up, but thats for you to decide on your own.

I am not defending the call and saying it is right, merely pointing the blame in the right direction.

Carry on LGW.

Guest micah

This is correct. It was not the ruling by the ref in adjacent to the goal that proof was needed to overrule - it was the "goal" call made by either a Linesman or the other ref, I don't recall which.

Agreed, but I think a lot of us our upset by the fact that the NHL even ALLOWED the linesmen to overturn the ref's decision (who was right next to the damn net). That itself is inexcusable.

Rabble rabble booooPronger rabble rabble Bettman sucks rabble rabble cheating cheating rabble rabble

Refs->War room communication/planning/outline/procedure is fundamentally flawed. It's remarkable the amount of controversial calls happening this year. I'd almost rather just have the referees just call the game without replays so we don't expect perfection and can almost anticipate calls being missed. It's one thing to make one mistake in the heat of the game, it's a complete debacle when you take 5 minutes out of a game and still end up with a controversial call that isn't clear in the slightest.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
The fact that this is the explanation makes it even more wrong to me.

Agreed, and I do think we got screwed but the ignorance in this forum is horrific.

Just thought I'd make this thread to clear up some confusion on Ott's goal so idiots don't freak out at the wrong thing.

Ott's shot was waved off by the Ref, BUT was ruled a goal by the linesmen. Because of this the Warroom had to have CONCLUSIVE PROOF of the puck NOT CROSSING THE LINE, rather than vice versa which we are more accustomed to seeing.

The linesmen got the wrong call, but due to it they actually followed procedure. Blame the linesmen not the War room. I personally think the procedure is f***ed up, but thats for you to decide on your own.

I am not defending the call and saying it is right, merely pointing the blame in the right direction.

Carry on LGW.

My question is how can a linesman overturn a refs decision. Especially when the ref was in the best (and only) position to see it?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
My question is how can a linesman overturn a refs decision. Especially when the ref was in the best (and only) position to see it?

The rule is that if there are conflicting opinions it should be counted as a goal until proven otherwise. Doesn't make a lot of sense but that is just the way it works currently. Probably to give the illusion of more scoring. It sucks but just the way it is currently.

The rule is that if there are conflicting opinions it should be counted as a goal until proven otherwise. Doesn't make a lot of sense but that is just the way it works currently. Probably to give the illusion of more scoring. It sucks but just the way it is currently.

I thought the way Kenny and Mick described it is the linesman can't overturn a refs decision. And since it was waived off they have to have conclusive proof that it crossed the goal line, which there was none.

Carry on LGW.

What about the FACT that we had 6 chances to end the game during the shootout and not one of them came close. Even if it was decided a no-goal, I don't have much confidence that we would've gotten a different outcome.

What about the FACT that we had 6 chances to end the game during the shootout and not one of them came close. Even if it was decided a no-goal, I don't have much confidence that we would've gotten a different outcome.

I would rather Wings lose by a legit goal than a non-legit-goal. That's just me though. Another point I'd like to make is people need to start complaining and demanding for higher standards in officiating. What if this continues on to the finals? Something has to be done about it.

Demand higher standards.

Found this link. I already contacted them.

PLEASE. Feel free.

http://www.nhlofficials.com/thank_contact.asp

You can see that the puck went over the line so it's clearly a good goal. Nice win for Dallas.

I was watching FSN with DVR so I could rewind and slow down. The angle that you describe does not exist on FSN's feed. Can you post screenshots or a video to the angle that you're talking about. Because I have not seen that angle (if it even exists)

Edited by Miller Brew

I was watching FSN with DVR so I could rewind and slow down. The angle that you describe does not exist on FSN's feed. Can you post screenshots or a video to the angle that you're talking about. Because I have not seen that angle (if it even exists)
I was under the rink and I could see through the floor and ice (with my goggles) that it was a good goal.

If a video replay can't show the puck clearly across the line, it's not a goal.

Why can't that be the rule? It's 2010 for f***s sakes. Why do we put so much trust in these refs? It's simple, video replays don't lie. It's so illogical how the NHL has screwed up this sport.

I would go so far as saying EVERY penalty call can be challenged by a coach, and a replay must be watched. It's not hard, takes 15 seconds. At least they get the right call.

Edited by TheOwl

Guest micah
I just dont understand the point of even having a war room in Toronto. If they aren't allowed to overrule a terrible call on the ice about a goal... why do they exist at all?

They are allowed to overturn bad goal calls - and they would have overturned this call IF the video evidence proved conclusively that the puck did NOT go in. That evidence wasn't there. Toronto did what they were supposed to do.

Where is the source on this one?

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Thank you for trying to explain the call, but you still don't have it quite right. Martell was the ref closest to the play. Leggo was the trailing ref. Martell ruled "no goal" and a conference of all on-ice officials occurred soon after. Leggo, the trailing ref, and a linesman said that they had saw the puck cross the line. Leggo and the linesman overruled Martell's initial "no goal" call and the call on the ice was changed to "good goal". The important part to understand is that all of this occurred before the call to Toronto came down. Therefore, it is now up to Toronto to prove with conclusive video evidence that the "good goal" call should be reversed. Toronto ruled that the video replays were inconclusive, so by default, the on-ice decision stands, which was "good goal".