• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holliday

Patrice Cormier with shocking hit on Mikael Tam

Rate this topic

Warning, the video is not for the faint of heart.

"Tonight, during a game between the Quebec Remparts and Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, Devils prospect Patrice Cormier elbowed Quebec's Mikael Tam, in the face while he wasn't looking. Tam hit the ice face first and lost a lot of blood. He convulsed for at least 2 minutes. They feared for a traumatic brain injury but reports say it's a severe concussion."

"He's feeling well given the circumstances. He has a traumatic brain injury, he almost died tonight. Several scans were made to make sure he didn't have anything major to his brain. Good news is that he's got no oedema (accumulation of water in his brain). The shock was so big that the diagnostic places him between a severe concussion and a brain death. He'll stay under observation at the Rouyn Noranda hospital for 48 hours. He has no fractures but his mouth is not looking good and he lost some teeths. He has to pass some other tests tomorrow, for his pelvis and his back.

Mikael is conscious. He spoke with his family. He's in good hands at the hospital. Continue to pray for him, he needs it."

http://www.quebec800.com/blogs/view/32

What a terrible play on Cormier's part. Absolutely terrible.

One time you could say it was an tragic accident, twice, you're a repeat offender. This f***** doesn't deserve to be allowed on the ice ever again. Lifetime ban for this kid. I remember the CoHL gave Gary Coupal a lifetime ban for throwing his stick into the stands. Granted, he just moved on to the CHL, but while a random stick in the stands is serious (in this case no one was hurt), these 2 intent to injure elbows are way more dangerous and just plain stupid.

By the way, is he a Flyer prospect? :)

One time you could say it was an tragic accident, twice, you're a repeat offender. This f***** doesn't deserve to be allowed on the ice ever again. Lifetime ban for this kid. I remember the CoHL gave Gary Coupal a lifetime ban for throwing his stick into the stands. Granted, he just moved on to the CHL, but while a random stick in the stands is serious (in this case no one was hurt), these 2 intent to injure elbows are way more dangerous and just plain stupid.

By the way, is he a Flyer prospect? :)

He was drafted by Devils.

I know we all want to throw Cormier under the bus, and rightfully so, but if his coaches in the CHL or the team he was drafted by never speak up, then the kid has no idea what is right or wrong as stupid and wrong as it sounds.

If no ones ever told him that hockey shouldn't be played this way, then you let him continue to play hockey, this kid probably has nothing else in life. Dumb dumb dumb move, but if no one has told this under 20? year old not to do this sprt of dirty hockey move, then you can't blame him too much, even though we all know and should have the common sense to NEVER ever do something like this.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Cormier should never skate again. This elbow wasn't only reckless, it was criminal. Cheap s*** like this has no place at any level of hockey.

I know we all want to throw Cormier under the bus, and rightfully so, but if his coaches in the CHL or the team he was drafted by never speak up, then the kid has no idea what is right or wrong as stupid and wrong as it sounds.

If no ones ever told him that hockey shouldn't be played this way, then you let him continue to play hockey, this kid probably has nothing else in life. Dumb dumb dumb move, but if no one has told this under 20? year old not to do this sprt of dirty hockey move, then you can't blame him too much, even though we all know and should have the common sense to NEVER ever do something like this.

Sorry dude, I am not attempting to rag on you in the least but I totally disagree with your statement. Even little peewee kids know not to do s*** like this. When I was 11 years old, I got on a breakaway and a defender hooked me from behind, causing me to fall backwards and hit the ice. On the way back I flung my stick back making it look like an accident and WHACKED that defenders helmet clear off. My coach reemed me a new ******* and sat me for the rest of the game. Little kids know not to do this s*** too. His coaches are not to blame. He is ultimately the one throwin them bows and he knows damn well what he's doin. He IS AN ADULT afterall. He needs severe punishment, especially after narrowly ending another players life/career.

Again, this is not a jab at you. I just disagree with what you said is all.

With all respect to you guys he should be dealt a huge punishment but to ban him is ridiculous. Criminal charges? Really? The injury definitely magnifies the situation. He should be handed a sever punishment which probably wouldn't end up much of a punishment to him seeing as how if he is banned from the CHL he will just go play for Lowell in the AHL.

Ban him from ever playing hockey again? There are a lot of instances like this that don't get punished half as bad. nIt was terrible on Cormier and looked very deliberate but he isn't the first and won't be the last. Some guys are just boneheads.

Including Jack Johnson who is enjoying a good young career in L.A., not banned from hockey.

Guest mindfly

Still pissed off since the loss against the americans, takin it out on a innocent quebec leaguer..........

Edited by mindfly

Guest Shoreline

He needs a long break from hockey until he realizes this is not what it's about. Indeed it should be comparable to how long Tam is out as the hit was unnecessary and so was the resulting injury. Really need to come down hard on senseless plays like this.

Guest mindfly
He needs a long break from hockey until he realizes this is not what it's about. Indeed it should be comparable to how long Tam is out as the hit was unnecessary and so was the resulting injury. Really need to come down hard on senseless plays like this.

Gutless........................... :hehe:

I usually try to defend the hitters in this situation(Ben Fanelli hit I didn't mind), I absolutely love hitting in hockey and it's my favorite part of the game. But this has no justification whatsoever. Not too mention he has past infractions for the same type of play. Absolutely gutless, inexcusable, nauseating, and embarrassing play for the game of hockey. There are so many other ways for players to let out aggression, elbowing to the head should not be tolerated at all. I wouldn't even know where to begin the punishment for this, considering if you ban him he'll just go play in the AHL and not miss a beat. I'd hate to bring criminal charges into play(Obviously nothing horribly long), but it may be the only effective punishment to detour future players from recklessly hitting like this.

I usually try to defend the hitters in this situation(Ben Fanelli hit I didn't mind), I absolutely love hitting in hockey and it's my favorite part of the game. But this has no justification whatsoever. Not too mention he has past infractions for the same type of play. Absolutely gutless, inexcusable, nauseating, and embarrassing play for the game of hockey. There are so many other ways for players to let out aggression, elbowing to the head should not be tolerated at all. I wouldn't even know where to begin the punishment for this, considering if you ban him he'll just go play in the AHL and not miss a beat. I'd hate to bring criminal charges into play(Obviously nothing horribly long), but it may be the only effective punishment to detour future players from recklessly hitting like this.

They could tell him and the Devil's organization that they won't pursue criminal charges if the Devils suspended him themselves from participating on their minor league team. Just a thought though.

They could tell him and the Devil's organization that they won't pursue criminal charges if the Devils suspended him themselves from participating on their minor league team. Just a thought though.

Yeah that may work. Just something that can be shown publicly that there is a punishment for hits like this.

What I don't get about the people who always say "Criminal charges? Are you kidding me?" Is this:

Why do people feel that just because this stuff happens during a sporting event that it should not be punished by law? Sure, hitting is allowed in hockey. Good clean hits that hurt people are never looked twice at (Ohlund's hit on hank for example). Players know what they should and shouldn't do, just like in the real world. Hitting somebody like that is purposely intending to cause them harm and that's not exactly what the hitting in hockey is all about. Just because he's doing it during a game doesn't mean he's not breaking a law. I suppose you are the same people who said Mike Tyson shouldn't have gotten in any trouble for biting off Evander Holyfield's ear? It's not part of the sport to purposely try to hurt someone.

It's also against the law to purposely try to injure someone. So, what does it matter if it was done on the streets or during a sporting event? I guess having a team logo on your sweater grants you special rights to injure people as a citizen now? Anyone sticking up for this kind of stuff, are obviously delusional on how society actually works. Either that or they are so involved in the sport that they can't differentiate between that and real life itself.

Agreed, he wasn't good enough to make the hit and resorted to sticking his elbow out.

I say lengthy suspension. Criminal charges are not appropriate here- do people realize that when you call the law into a matter you're throwing up a big 'the situation is out of league control' flag, and this is not the case.

edit-

It doesn't have to be the case. If the league he plays in suspends him for a length of time, I'd like to see other leagues honor that. As it's been pointed out Cormier has the option to bolt to another league, then it's out of control. If it's not an option for him, then it's not out of control.

Edited by ltgator333

I say lengthy suspension. Criminal charges are not appropriate here- do people realize that when you call the law into a matter you're throwing up a big 'the situation is out of league control' flag, and this is not the case.

So you are ok with Cormier leaving the CHL and go to the AHL/ECHL without any repercussions? If this was a one shot mistake, then I see your point, I just don't think there is anything the CHL can do that would have an appropriate punishment. I'm not asking for anything huge from the law, but it's not like Cormier is undeserving of punishment.

Edit:Hopefully other leagues would honor that suspension, but that's a major assumption.

Edited by Carman