• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bdavis

Anyone here ever see the Stanley Cup in person?

Rate this topic

Ive seen it twice at the HHOF, but hate to be the bearer of bad news - if you see it during the Summer months, its the replica. The players who have just won the cup get their days during the summer, so they plug a fake one in its spot. As far as a I know though, during the season they have the real one on display.

Ive seen it twice at the HHOF, but hate to be the bearer of bad news - if you see it during the Summer months, its the replica. The players who have just won the cup get their days during the summer, so they plug a fake one in its spot. As far as a I know though, during the season they have the real one on display.

A local memorabilia store had it for a day, during the lockout. I got to touch it and got a few pictures.

I should say - at least this is my understanding - I got some explanation like this when i went to the HHOF during the summer a couple of years ago.

Saw it at the HHOF two years ago. Both my husband and I refused to touch it though! It was such an awesome experience to marvel at the greatest before us, so much history. We must have stared at it for about 20 minutes. I got the chills as we stood there studying it and searching for the names of all the great legends! Such a beautiful trophy!

I should say - at least this is my understanding - I got some explanation like this when i went to the HHOF during the summer a couple of years ago.

Im pretty sure I saw a replica, but I went near the end of winter. Maybe they had the cup out for a special event or something of that sort. <_<

I saw it in person for the first time in '02 at local sports arena, but didn't get close enough to examine it. Then, just a few months ago, Dan MacKinnon of the Penguins brought it into a local rink and we got the chance have our pictures taken with it & inspect it closely for a couple of hours. I did NOT touch it.

I was surprised to see some of the inscriptions near the top, I had never seen a high enough resolution image of it before to even know that they were there. In a few spots, they were almost completely worn away. Someday I hope to get to the HHoF to see the original & the rest of the pieces in the vault.

Edited by Bender

Guest mindfly

Yep I saw it when zetterberg brought it to Eon arena (where his team from sweden, Timrå, play) just 60mins away from me

unfortunately both times I've seen it, was when another team had won. Last year, I was on the ice during the penguins celebration. (I work with a tv station in MI) The other time was up at Ferris when Kunitz brought it after winning with the Ducks. I got a picture with it then since I am a Ferris grad.

You survived four years of Big Rapids??? I don't know whether to congratulate you on your courage or commiserate with you ( I used to live near B.R.).

And yes, I have seen the Cup at the Hockey Hall of Fame. It was just before Hall of Fame weekend, so I know it was the real thing.

Edited by Kira

Guest ZetterbergFourty

I've seen the one at the HHOF in Toronto a bunch of times, but not the actual one they polish up and award to the teams. I'm still a young fellow, I'll get that chance one day hopefully.

I saw it in 08 when Helm returned to his home rec center in St.Andrews where he played all his childhood hockey.....it was quite a day with an estimated 3000- 5000 people coming out with a lotta love for the hometown hero. He came into the arena with the cup on a Zamboni driven by his brother....got to even kiss the holy grail......it was a special day!

I haven't seen it (yet), but my mom has (wtf, mom??) after the 08 win it was in Lansing at the capital building for a day and, as my mom works there, she got to see it with a bunch of people. Of course, she's not completely oblivious... she wore a red shirt and looked but didn't touch. ;)

I've seen the one at the Hockey Hall of Fame 3 times. Every time I've seen it I quote Stevie at the end of the 1997 Championship Video/DVD, "Is this the real one or the replica?"

Edit: I have yet to have someone say it's the real one, or else I'd say, "This is the real one? The one that's been around forever?"

:lol: I wonder how many times I've watched the 1997 Championship video?

Edited by Barrie

Guest Howard He Do It?!

This should clear up any confusion about which Cup you saw at the HHOF.

There are actually three Stanley Cups: the original bowl, the authenticated Cup, and the replica at the Hall of Fame. The original bowl purchased by Lord Stanley, and physically awarded to the champion for the first 71 years of competition, is currently displayed at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ontario.

The authenticated version or "Presentation Cup" was created in 1963 by Montreal silversmith Carl Petersen. It is authenticated by the seal of the Hockey Hall of Fame on the bottom of the Cup, which can be seen when winning players lift the Cup over their heads, and it is the one currently awarded to the champions of the playoffs and used for promotions.[41] This version was made in secret, and its production was only revealed three years later.[52]

The replica trophy, called the Replica Cup, was created in 1993 by Montreal silversmith Louise St. Jacques to be used as a stand-in at the Hockey Hall of Fame whenever the Presentation Cup is not available for display.[52]

There are very few differences between the authenticated version and the replica version. The quickest way to determine if it is the authenticated version is to check the 1984 Stanley Cup winning Edmonton Oilers. The authenticated version has Basil Pocklington's with X's over his name. The replica version does not have his name at all.

Wikipedia

Yup! In 2003 it was touring the remaining cities in the Western/Eastern Conference finals which happened to be Anaheim at the time. I worked with a guy that is a huge Kings fan. He left work early and he told me to call him when I left work so I could hop in line with him. It's a good thing I did because they shut the line down right after where he was standing in line! We waited something like three hours and had the best time in line waiting. I got up there, touched Vladdy's name, hugged, kissed the cup and had my picture taken with it (twice.. my other friend that I called and met me there pulled me into his picture too). I examined that Cup as long as they would possibly let me and was staring at it nonstop once we got close enough to it. My boss the next day scanned the photo for me and entitled it "Jacqui and Stan" everyone thought it was my new boyfriend before they opened it ahahahaha :)

It was epic and completely worth the wait. I couldn't believe how shiny it was either. It was like meeting someone famous. My mom happened to be at the same mall that night having dinner so I ran over to show her the picture before I left to go home.

The ironic thing is one of the guys friends (who is now my best friend) was at a different place the following day and the Cup was there just sitting out, no line, no audience.. just him and Phil Pritchard. He's a Kings fan too so he didn't touch it lol.

I for one have never seen it, but my roommate in the Fall of 2002 got to unlock the Cup out of Ken Daniles SUV. Ken was taking the Cup to his daughters Elementary School in West Bloomfield when he locked his keys in the SUV and the Cup. My Roommate worked for the towing company that worked for the Police Department (ETS Towing). He got to unlock the vehicle and actually pick the Cup up and got his picture with it. So, everytime I went to the fridge there would be the picture of him holding the Stanley Cup!! SO JEALOUS. He even called me while he was unlocking the car!! Oh, and Ken Daniels was a bit embrassed about locking his keys up in the SUV!!