360 replies to this topic

#41 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Carman @ January 19, 2010 - 02:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not turning on Osgood. I'm just not happy that he feels it's necessary to create controversy when the goaltending situation so far this season has been practically the only bright spot. Osgood has plenty of time to get in playoff shape down the stretch when the Wing's need a goalie to step up like Howard has lately, there was no reason for him to bring this up to the media other than his own personal ego.

I wasn't directing that comment specifically at you. I never know when to take your comments serious. tongue.gif It was more at the people who only seem to show up here to bash Ozzie and then disappear or say they were fans all along when Ozzie dominates in the playoffs. That's frustrating because if Ozzie does well, the Red Wings do well. There are people here who undoubtely want to see Ozzie fail.

I agree with you. I don't think using the media outlet was the best way for Ozzie to vent his frustration. Although, I disagree with Babcock's handling of the situation, the best way for Ozzie to "get his job back" is to play well starting tonight.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#42 Williams29fan

Williams29fan

THe NiCkeRS

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (interminded @ January 19, 2010 - 02:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a lot of love for Ozzie here right now.
I guess the Jimmy Howard bandwagon is quite comfortable nowadays..
I get it.
But it will get bumpier.

Like any goalie, the only thing Ozzie needs is a good team in front of him that will come to play every game. If he gets hung out to dry, then somebody screwed up long before the puck ended up in the net. And if you haden't noticed, this team was playing horrible in october / november and a good portion of december as well.(regardless of who was in net, mind you.)
Ozzie will come through when the Wings need him, he still is one of the top goalies in the NHL. I have no doubt in my mind.
So to all the Ozzie doubters, dont bother chanting "Ozzie" anywhere, including your own house, when he comes up with a big save or backstopping the Wings on another Stanley Cup run.
Don't chant his name or scream how great a goalie you think he is, because obviously you don't.

Jimmy Howard is a great kid and hopefully he will be able to satisfy the ridiculous expectations this city has of its NHL-goaltenders one day.
But if you think you won't need Chris Osgood down the stretch, you might be sorely mistaken..

QFT

Where was the rest of the team in Oct/Nov? I can assure you they were not back in their own zone playing any kind of D. They were not scoring either. They were chasing the puck 90% of the game, and leaving Ozzie out to dry. Not fair to grade the Oz on that stretch of poor team performances.

Since then, yes, Jimmy has been playing great. He is giving the team a chance to win every game. I am not taking anything away from Jimmy, but he has gotten more than 1 game to get into a rhythm. When is it Ozzie's chance to get into a rhythm before Babs throws him to the wolves at the start of the playoffs? Of course he is going to be inconsistent when he's only playing once a month!

#43 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ January 19, 2010 - 02:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't directing that comment specifically at you. I never know when to take your comments serious. tongue.gif It was more at the people who only seem to show up here to bash Ozzie and then disappear or say they were fans all along when Ozzie dominates in the playoffs. That's frustrating because if Ozzie does well, the Red Wings do well. There are people here who undoubtely want to see Ozzie fail.

I agree with you. I don't think using the media outlet was the best way for Ozzie to vent his frustration. Although, I disagree with Babcock's handling of the situation, the best way for Ozzie to "get his job back" is to play well starting tonight.

Yeah I thought so. I also disagree with all the people bashing Osgood. I wish people would focus on how well Howard is doing, instead of making it sound like Osgood is declining or anything. People need to realize that Howard is playing because he is playing well, not because Osgood is playing bad. Hell Howard is outperforming over 30 other goalies in the league right now anyways.

#44 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

When he learns how to stop a puck again, I will have a bit more sympathy for him.

#45 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (mindfly @ January 19, 2010 - 02:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because they wear a red wing uniform doesn't mean you like them or want them to stay on the team (for example a few players i dont want here; Leino, Williams, Lebda, Meech, Maltby)

Nothing personal, but you turn on the players and the team in a split second when something goes wrong. I love the Red Wings. There are players who frustrate the hell out of me, but as long as they are here, I want them to do well because I want the team as a whole to do well.

Being a fan means supporting your team even when things aren't going well. Ozzie has done far too many good things in his career for the Red Wings to receive this type of treatment.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#46 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (interminded @ January 19, 2010 - 03:43PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course you can't like all of them.
But you should still root for 'em.
You're a fan of the Detroit Red Wings. Not of 'most of the Detroit Red Wings'.

Being a fan shouldn't be conditional.
imo.

Being a player should mean being a team player then as well. He shouldn't be bitching about his starts and especially going to the media with his thoughts on the situation.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#47 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (interminded @ January 19, 2010 - 02:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like any goalie, the only thing Ozzie needs is a good team in front of him that will come to play every game.

That's a flawed argument. No NHL-caliber goalie should require a "good team in front of him." If you can't settle yourself between the pipes and find a way to steal games for your club, especially when they're facing a whole pile of adversity due to injuries, then you don't deserve an opportunity to start games on a regular basis. Jimmy has learned this, why can't Osgood? Need I remind you of the Los Angeles game where our squad played like complete and utter s***, and yet, Jimmy gave us an opportunity to win? When Osgood manages to relight his ember, he will get an opportunity, but until then, quit crying about it and sit on the bench where you belong.

#48 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (RedArmy @ January 19, 2010 - 12:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ozzie hasn't had a chance to earn his job so far... early on he wasn't exactly stellar, just alright... let's hope the wings can stop Ovechkin, should be an awesome game if wings show up...

He also didn't do enough to keep it either.

Ozzie's played brilliantly for Detroit in the postseason since he's taken the reins, but this type of lackluster regular season play is well ingrained in Babs' head from last year. Now, the Wings are actually in for a fight to even make the postseason. They don't have the luxury they did last year to let him get his head on straight for the playoff run. The team has dealt with a sick amount of injuries and every 2 points is vital.

This takes nothing away from Ozzie, its just the severity of the situation.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#49 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (zettie85 @ January 19, 2010 - 03:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being a player should mean being a team player then as well. He shouldn't be bitching about his starts and especially going to the media with his thoughts on the situation.

You are correct. I dont blame Ozzie for being frustrated. I completely understand that. Hell even if he says he's frustrated and wants to play more, thats okay with me.. shows some passion.. But instead of that he pretty much says it isnt fair and even takes a shot at the coach while kinda sounding like he expects to lose this game.. For years I've heard about how much of a great team player Ozzie is, but this doesnt sound like it to me.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#50 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (interminded @ January 19, 2010 - 01:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get it.
But it will get bumpier.

Like any goalie, the only thing Ozzie needs is a good team in front of him that will come to play every game. If he gets hung out to dry, then somebody screwed up long before the puck ended up in the net. And if you haden't noticed, this team was playing horrible in october / november and a good portion of december as well.(regardless of who was in net, mind you.)
Ozzie will come through when the Wings need him, he still is one of the top goalies in the NHL. I have no doubt in my mind.
So to all the Ozzie doubters, dont bother chanting "Ozzie" anywhere, including your own house, when he comes up with a big save or backstopping the Wings on another Stanley Cup run.
Don't chant his name or scream how great a goalie you think he is, because obviously you don't.

Jimmy Howard is a great kid and hopefully he will be able to satisfy the ridiculous expectations this city has of its NHL-goaltenders one day.
But if you think you won't need Chris Osgood down the stretch, you might be sorely mistaken..

This is the type of comments that drove me nuts about the Hasek loyalists. When Ozzie was outplaying Hasek they all complained that the team played differently in front of Ozzie than they did in front of Dom. IMO, it was BS then and its BS now.

Dom has proven over the course of his career that he's capable of stellar play. Anyone that's paid any attention to the entirety of Ozzie's career (and if not that, even just the last two postseasons) knows what he's capable of. However, this is the second regular season in a row where he's seemed extremely unfocused and his play has been up & down. The difference is Howard is playing lights out, just like Ozzie was when Dom struggled. Anyone with half a brain won't forget what Dom did for the Wings when Ozzie took over in net, and the same can be said about Ozzie given that Howard is outplaying him at this point.

No one with half a brain has forgotten what Ozzie has done for us, but when fans start making comments such as "Like any goalie, the only thing Ozzie needs is a good team in front of him that will come to play every game", they're simply excusing lackluster play from a guy we all know is capable of so much more.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#51 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

Ozzie has to keep his focus on the big picture.
Big picture meaning:
Our future #1 goaltender is extremely hot right now. Coming off a start of this season where many questioned if he could even make it in the NHL. For the past work/resources/money that we've invested in Howie, getting him going in a major way is paramount. Ozzie has been around long enough to (hopefully) realize that he is not the future (2-4 years down the road) and he's much closer to the end of his career than to the beginning. This is a business....a lot of our future team/cap space/drafting depends on Howie being successful. This is a business first and foremost (not to me...but to Mr. Reality and Wings ownership/management).
Point Two: Ozzie will NO DOUBT get his fair chance come last month and a half of the season, AND in the playoff's (knock on wood we make the playoffs). He needs to be focused and prepared for that time of the season when he will be looked to (as he was last year). He'd be foolish to think that the Kenny and Babs don't know who they have...I believe they fully know what Ozzie brings to the table in regards to experience, track record, playoff victories, Stanley Cups. Bottom line: He's needed, and will be looked to.
Point Three-Many a team have rode a hot, unproven goaltender into the playoff's. Columbus last year is a good example (pretty much a fail after that point, but never-the-less they wouldn't have been anywhere close to a playoff spot without Mason). Giggy a while back. The list goes on. We are fighting desperately for a playoff spot, and need to ride the hot hand.
Point Four-Let's face it, if come April we are still struggling for a playoff spot, Ozzie may see very little playing time this regular season. In this case, (unless Howie completley implodes), he'll get very few chances to get his game back in order. This is not a President's trophy team, and we don't have that luxury to stick a guy in there a bunch of times so he can "find" his game.

Ozzie has the "gift of gab" with the media, and I think if he senses this is getting out of control he'll be the professional he always has been and tone it down.
Go Ozzie!!
ENJOY THE RIDE

#52 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (GoWings1905 @ January 19, 2010 - 03:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Ozzie. I find it somewhat strange Babcock decided tonight to go with Ozzie against the highest scoring team in the league as well. I don't like the way Babcock has handled the goaltender situation either. I hope Ozzie gets his chance now to string some starts together at least. It would be a pretty low move for Babcock to start Ozzie against the Capitals and go right back to Howard for another stretch.

Ozzie needs some starts. People here are bitching about him and he hasn't even played in a month. How can he prove anything to the people always on his case when he is tracking face-offs on the bench for the past month? Jimmy Howard has been terrific for the Red Wings, but I still believe our playoff goalie (yes I know, they have to get there first) is Chris Osgood when the time comes.

Go Ozzie! Prove the doubters wrong for the millionth time in your career.

You've said it all for me. THANKS. thumbup.gif It's almost as if he's trying to find reasons to get rid of Ozzie without even playing him enough. Beyond weird. And it's unfair to Ozzie and could be ultimately unfair to the team.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#53 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (Vladifan @ January 19, 2010 - 03:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've said it all for me. THANKS. thumbup.gif It's almost as if he's trying to find reasons to get rid of Ozzie without even playing him enough. Beyond weird. And it's unfair to Ozzie and could be ultimately unfair to the team.

The only thing unfair to the team is Osgood's inability to keep his frustration over his performance in check.

#54 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (interminded @ January 19, 2010 - 03:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get it.
But it will get bumpier.

deal.gif clap.gif

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#55 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (The Mule @ January 19, 2010 - 03:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When he learns how to stop a puck again, I will have a bit more sympathy for him.

And when the team in front of him starts scoring consistently again, I'll have more confidence in them.

Edited by Vladifan, 19 January 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#56 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

Sucks for him, but he's sucked this season and Howie has been the third best goalie in the league (GAA, SV%). If Ozzie is going to be a locker room cancer, trade his ass.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#57 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Vladifan @ January 19, 2010 - 08:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What if he is trying to protect the ego of a rookie and not worry about the mental state of a vet?

What if Ozzie blanks the Caps, what does that do for him mentally?

All these Babs v Ozzie, and Ozzie v Howard, and Ozzie v the World threads are all predicting gloom and doom before anything has a chance to happen.

Maybe Babs sees this as motivator for Ozzie, he has needed those recently in the regular season. An angry Ozzie goes out and plays out of his mind, do you honestly think Babs doesn't give him another shot.

Follow my logic for a second this may be a long one;
Babs has a rookie in net, one who started the year with not a lot of confidence, he has one of the mentally toughest guys in the game in Ozzie, not just in the net but in the league. Why on earth would he want to throw that away (especially when it is one of the cheapest contracts in net in the NHL)? Why wouldn't Babs (whose job relies on Det winning) want the best and cheapest(coincidence not on purpose) option to mentor his future goalie?

I love how the tinfoil hat crowd finds a way in every Ozzie thread to make the starting of Howard personal!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#58 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Vladifan @ January 19, 2010 - 03:21PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh Puhlease, This is no Babcock conspiracy against Osgood. The reason Osgood is starting is simple. Washington is in the Eastern Conference and not ahead of the wings in the standings.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#59 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Vladifan @ January 19, 2010 - 03:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And when the team in front of him starts scoring consistently again, I'll have more confidence in them.

Even if this statement wasn't total bulls***, (I seem to remember a recent 50+ shot game when Howard was in net) then you might want to ask yourself why this is so. Maybe a little problem with confidence in said goaltender. My prediction is that Osgood will get lit tonight, and the apologists will do what they best as will the critics.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#60 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

The funny thing about this thread is that if you took out the issue about complaining to the press and flipped the goalie positions, you would think this was a thread from the beginning of the season.