• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cupforwings

Respect

Rate this topic

nhl.com

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Chicago Blackhawks see the gap in the Western Conference standings, but aren't falling for it. They look at successive 3-0 shutout wins over Detroit in December and now three-straight wins over the Red Wings following Sunday's 4-3 Chicago win and aren't buying in.

No, the Blackhawks know the Red Wings have gone through injuries like few other teams this season, so they aren't buying into any notion the Wings are in decline. As a result, we saw as good a hockey game as you'll find Sunday afternoon in a 4-3 Chicago win in a shootout in which the Hawks scored three times, the Wings twice.

"They've had some injuries and some tough breaks this year, and we've been playing well and have a lot of confidence," Chicago's Patrick Kane said. "Every game against these guys, no matter when you play it, is going to be a competitive game.

"I still think they're the team to beat until proven otherwise in the playoffs," Kane said.

On the flip side, one better believe these Blackhawks are for real. The Detroit lineup that took the ice at Joe Louis Arena Sunday afternoon had Henrik Zetterberg, Dan Cleary, Brian Rafalski and Jonathan Ericsson in place, so a Chicago win says a lot about these guys too.

"They got three or four players back from the last time we played them and obviously you could tell," Hawks winger and former Wing Marian Hossa told reporters. "They played really well. It was an even game and could go both ways, and we got lucky at the end.

"It's a great start for us going on the long road trip. We got the first two wins on the road and it always helps with the confidence."

Despite the loss, Wings coach Mike Babcock liked the way his team competed.

"I thought both teams played real well," he said. "Obviously their power play set us on our heels there a little bit in the first period, but I thought we started good and then I thought we responded and played a good game. We had two breakaways in overtime -- it would have been nice to score on one of those, but that's the way life is."

kind of a good article. Its interesting to see how they still think the the Wings are the team to beat in the west, even more than San Jose I bet. Both teams respect each other, but want to be the best, which should make for a good rival in the years to come. The last team Chicago is going to want to play in the first round will be Detroit. That would be epic.

To bad their fans suck. then again most have them have only been fans for the last two years

Every team has bad fans, and good fans. Chicago is just starting to become a very good team, so obviously they are going to attract newer maybe even less mature fans on their way up. Just like how many became Wing's fan during the late 90's, it's no wonder that the Red Wing's seem to have hated fans. Primarily due to the amount of fans, rather than quality of fans.

A few bad apples don't mean the fans sucks. Just those fans suck.

/endrant

Every team has bad fans, and good fans. Chicago is just starting to become a very good team, so obviously they are going to attract newer maybe even less mature fans on their way up. Just like how many became Wing's fan during the late 90's, it's no wonder that the Red Wing's seem to have hated fans. Primarily due to the amount of fans, rather than quality of fans.

A few bad apples don't mean the fans sucks. Just those fans suck.

/endrant

You speak the truth, but I must add that 21,000 fans chanting "Detroit Sucks" can be pretty damn annoying too. At least Detroit fans have the class to only degrade individual players like Pronger and Crosby and not entire cities haha. But yes, every fanbase has its bad apples, like the Wings fan who hit the hawks trainer in the eye with something after that BS penalty shot call at the end of last season.

You speak the truth, but I must add that 21,000 fans chanting "Detroit Sucks" can be pretty damn annoying too. At least Detroit fans have the class to only degrade individual players like Pronger and Crosby and not entire cities haha. But yes, every fanbase has its bad apples, like the Wings fan who hit the hawks trainer in the eye with something after that BS penalty shot call at the end of last season.

Well, if you see a division rival make the playoffs 20 straight years while you swim in mediocrity it could surely cause some bad blood. That said I know many Chicago fans that are embarrassed with that chant, and I'm willing to bet most fans don't hate the city of Detroit just the Red Wing's. Then again I may just be very naive.

Well, if you see a division rival make the playoffs 20 straight years while you swim in mediocrity it could surely cause some bad blood. That said I know many Chicago fans that are embarrassed with that chant, and I'm willing to bet most fans don't hate the city of Detroit just the Red Wing's. Then again I may just be very naive.

This is probably reality, but there's something about the "X Sucks!" chant that just bugs me. I think it's mainly that it just isn't funny. Because I'm not one to be overly sensitive to stuff like that. Sometimes tasteless humor can be the best humor, but damn at least have some creativity.

Edited by Herr Hockey

This is probably reality, but there's something about the "X Sucks!" chant that just bugs me. I think it's mainly that it just isn't funny. Because I'm not one to be overly senstive to stuff like that. Sometimes tastless humor can be the best humor, but damn at least have some creativity.

At least Chicago fans aren't hypocrites, whining about Pens fans booing Hossa last year, then booing him this year.

That's all I have to say on the subject. There are terrible fans on both sides, and frankly, it's about even. Detroit isn't any classier than anywhere else.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
At least Chicago fans aren't hypocrites, whining about Pens fans booing Hossa last year, then booing him this year.

That's all I have to say on the subject. There are terrible fans on both sides, and frankly, it's about even. Detroit isn't any classier than anywhere else.

:thumbup:

Guest Blackhawkdown
Blackhawk fans think they've already won the Stanley Cup.

Not me. We are having a great seaon and have a lot to be excited about, but in the end the playoffs are what matters, and I just hope we are playing this well come playoff time. And hopefully we dont have notable injuries at that time.

Any true hockey fan knows the regular season is just that, the regular season. However, since the Hawks havent had much success in the regular season for quite awile, this past two years have been a joy to watch for us.

Thats the problem with Red Wing fans, they have become spoiled because your team has been so successful. So now the regular season doesnt even matter, its all about the playoffs since you are there every year. This isnt a knock, I would love to have been in your position to be spoiled, but its just reality.

As much trash as I talk, I know at the end of the day the Red Wings are still the team to beat, like Kane said. Do I think Chicago will beat the Wings if we meet in the playoffs? Yes I do, but that doesnt change the fact that until the Hawks actually beat them, my opinion doesnt really matter.

Not me. We are having a great seaon and have a lot to be excited about, but in the end the playoffs are what matters, and I just hope we are playing this well come playoff time. And hopefully we dont have notable injuries at that time.

Any true hockey fan knows the regular season is just that, the regular season. However, since the Hawks havent had much success in the regular season for quite awile, this past two years have been a joy to watch for us.

Thats the problem with Red Wing fans, they have become spoiled because your team has been so successful. So now the regular season doesnt even matter, its all about the playoffs since you are there every year. This isnt a knock, I would love to have been in your position to be spoiled, but its just reality.

As much trash as I talk, I know at the end of the day the Red Wings are still the team to beat, like Kane said. Do I think Chicago will beat the Wings if we meet in the playoffs? Yes I do, but that doesnt change the fact that until the Hawks actually beat them, my opinion doesnt really matter.

:thumbup: Good post.

Except that the regular season does matter very much to me. I don't live and die with every bad call or lose, but I want to see the team play hard. I'm excited about Chicago and the rivalry, listenning to Vancouver's Team 1040 2500 miles away from the American rink, saying that game on NBC last Saturday was what hockey is all about, that they were on the edge of their seats the entire game.

IF Chicago beats Detroit in the playoffs, they DAMN well better win the Stanley Cup.

Edited by T.Low

To be fair, I hate the Vikings for this exact reason.

I don't think anyone in the top three in the conference, let alone a heated rival like Chicago, wants to play the Wings in the first round.

Wasn't it last year when Chicago- after winning 9 games in a row- said something like they were the Patriots of hockey and something along the lines of they are better than the Wings or something. If I remember correctly they said this the day before the Winter Classic where we had a back to back with them, and the Wings proceeded to beat them in both games.

I could be wrong though but I thought so?