• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bonan78

Carter scores off the faceoff

Rate this topic

Believe it or not, I actually saw a hockey highlight on Sportscenter that wasn't Crosby. :ph34r:

As good as the Wings are on draws, I'm surprised they don't try this play, as you can see the goalie wasn't expecting to have to face a shot from the centerman taking the draw.

Obviously it would have to be the right situation (for our centers it would have to be from the left faceoff dot) surely they try stuff like this in practice, why not try it in the game, worst case scenario the goalie makes a save and we get a rebound off of it. Actually, worst case scenario is that Lebda is playing the point and decides to pinch in and leads to a odd-man rush the other way.

Edited by bonan78

I don't mean this in a dickish way, but have you seriously never seen that happen before? Guys try it all the time on faceoffs with only a second or 2 left.

Of course I've seen it tried before, I started watching hockey the same year you were born, my point is why don't the Wings centers try it more often, we have been one of the best teams at taking faceoffs for some time, and I could see Zetterberg, Datsyuk or even Filppula picking up a cheap goal every now and then if they would run this play. Like I said, even if the initial shot doesn't score it could generate a rebound chance, and if our wingers are expecting it, they could get that split second jump on the defenders to take a whack at it.

Of course I've seen it tried before, I started watching hockey the same year you were born, my point is why don't the Wings centers try it more often, we have been one of the best teams at taking faceoffs for some time, and I could see Zetterberg, Datsyuk or even Filppula picking up a cheap goal every now and then if they would run this play. Like I said, even if the initial shot doesn't score it could generate a rebound chance, and if our wingers are expecting it, they could get that split second jump on the defenders to take a whack at it.

If you do have a good faceoff team then why even bother with it. It would be much better to get the puck possession then just shoot it and have the chance to either miss or lose the faceoff. Carter just got lucky nothing to do with talent just the lucky shot at the good moment. I can guarantee you that if he tried that 10 more times and he woudn't even get 1 passed by the goalie.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

If you do have a good faceoff team then why even bother with it. It would be much better to get the puck possession then just shoot it and have the chance to either miss or lose the faceoff. Carter just got lucky nothing to do with talent just the lucky shot at the good moment. I guarantee you he tried that 10 more times and he won't get none of them in.

Did you not read my post? I said try it every now and then because it might generate a cheap goal or a rebound that a winger could jump on before the defenders have a chance to react., not do it every time and give up trying to win faceoffs and get possession You're missing the point.

Edited by bonan78

Did you not read my post? I said try it every now and then because it might generate a cheap goal or a rebound that a winger could jump on before the defenders have a chance to react., not do it every time and give up trying to win faceoffs and get possession You're missing the point.

No actually sir your missing the point that chances of losing / missing is much greater then your opportunities for a rebound or a goal.

I rather get the faceoff win, get the puck possession give it to the point ... get a legitimate shot with someone in front of goalie and have a chance for an actual rebound or deflection.

The reason they don't try it is because it's an astronomically low percentage play, and it's an automatic faceoff loss to boot.

Except they do try it if there's not enough time left to win a drag and get a shot off.

It's not as "astronomically" low as you think, and to reiterate, I'm not saying do it every time, but other than the last ditch situations where that is the only way to get a shot on goal, it could be done in other situations to get a jump on the defense.

It's not as "astronomically" low as you think, and to reiterate, I'm not saying do it every time, but other than the last ditch situations where that is the only way to get a shot on goal, it could be done in other situations to get a jump on the defense.

It's pretty damn low. And I don't see a problem with trying it maybe a few times a season other than the desperation tries, but it makes a lot more sense to just win a faceoff.

My computer doesn't seem to work with Red Wings TV very well right now but I know for a fact that Zetterberg did it against Boston some time in the 07-08 season. Someone can easily find it in the archives and post a link. I wanted to do that but as I said, Red Wings TV isn't working for me right now.

It's pretty damn low. And I don't see a problem with trying it maybe a few times a season other than the desperation tries, but it makes a lot more sense to just win a faceoff.

Thank you, that's all I was trying to say. I was simply pointing out that other than the desparation situations, I hadn't seen any Red Wings player try it, although titamium2 recalls seeing Z do it against Boston a couple of season ago.

P.S. crossed out the unneeded retaliatory jab. It's just as low a percentage as any other set play off the faceoff, and considering that most teams manage to win draws about 50% of the time, and anything less than 50% is usually considered to be "low percentage", trying to aim the puck off a draw is doable.

My computer doesn't seem to work with Red Wings TV very well right now but I know for a fact that Zetterberg did it against Boston some time in the 07-08 season. Someone can easily find it in the archives and post a link. I wanted to do that but as I said, Red Wings TV isn't working for me right now.

here you go. it's on page 9

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8468083 I was at this game too!! Definately one of the coolest goals I saw live.

Edited by Pavel Hossyukstrom

No actually sir your missing the point that chances of losing / missing is much greater then your opportunities for a rebound or a goal.

I rather get the faceoff win, get the puck possession give it to the point ... get a legitimate shot with someone in front of goalie and have a chance for an actual rebound or deflection.

You are making it sound like it's all or nothing. I'm not saying that the Wings should abandon trying to gain possession on every faceoff, but just like any set play off a draw, there is the opportunity for it to work as drawn up or not. Let's say for example, the other team ices the puck, they have a tired line on the ice, why not try it and see if you can catch them flat-footed?

Once again, to clarify for those who think in terms of absolutes: I am not advocating this as something they should do every faceoff, or even every game. I was merely pointing out that if Jeff Carter can do it, our centers could also do it, and I wouldn't mind seeing it every now and then.

Thank you, that's all I was trying to say. I was simply pointing out that other than the desparation situations, I hadn't seen any Red Wings player try it, although titamium2 recalls seeing Z do it against Boston a couple of season ago.

P.S. crossed out the unneeded retaliatory jab. It's just as low a percentage as any other set play off the faceoff, and considering that most teams manage to win draws about 50% of the time, and anything less than 50% is usually considered to be "low percentage", trying to aim the puck off a draw is doable.

Really? It's lower than winning it back to a defenseman, who then takes a shot? I think the old breakaway alley-oop or change a guy from the far entrance to the bench plays have a higher rate of success. Whatever though. It's cool when it works, but it doesn't work often because teams don't try it often, and teams don't try it often because it's not a good move strategically.

And :lol: @ "unneeded retaliatory jab," considering your "since you were born" comment.

Edited by SeeinRed

Not to be facetious, but there's not much point in making a suggestion that opens a friendly debate only to become hyper defensive with anyone who wants to include something to the contrary and turning it ugly....

Personally I agree that the face off play has it's place, however it's a very, very small place. Simply because when we can out shoot teams 2 to 1 and still find ways to lose it makes a plain statement about the importance of the quality of chances over the quantity, and that play is straight blind luck when compared to a drawback and setup alternative. But you can never say never, sometimes you gotta be lucky to be good.

Guest R2D2

He's a really nice guy too, Carter. Chatted with him in London for a while this summer- class act.