• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwingfan19

Canadiens part ways with Big George

Rate this topic

I'm sure y'all can guess how I feel about the Kronwall hit, given my name and avatar, but other than that, I have always liked Georgie.

I don't care who a player is or what stage of his career he is in. If you are going to get rid of him, at least give him an out. Unless he refused to go anywhere and is content to take the buyout and retire, at least give the guy a chance to be claimed by someone. Even if no one claims him, send him down.

Best of luck, ya big lug.

Holy s***, his average is better than Lids' projection is for this year, with way less icetime.

Kenny!!

I'm one of the few fans of rough and tumble hockley that still likes Laraque. I like his frankness, I like his community involvement,and I like his game. sure, I wish he'd fight a bit more, but I wish a lot of guys would fight a bit more. Laraque is skilled enough that he played a few games on the 1st line in the playoffs last year - while he didn't exactly shine in that role, he played as well as most 4th liners would have if stuck on a scoring line. If moneu was no object, I'd dump May for Laraque in a heartbeat - Laraque is better at everything than May is.

I like your style man! i'm with you... Big Georges is better than May and many other fighters in NHL

This could be why the Habs have not had a decent face they could associate with their team in a long time. Sorry Koivu. Just horrendous decisions by that franchise.

I was just about to say that Habs must be one of the worst run franchises as of late.

Anyone know what Laraque's connection to Haiti is? they didn't mention it other than him "dealing with it".

Edit: Both parents born in Haiti according to his bio

Edited by Mors

This could be why the Habs have not had a decent face they could associate with their team in a long time. Sorry Koivu. Just horrendous decisions by that franchise.

The management and the media. Probably the last team in the league I'd want to play for if I were an NHL'er. Such a sad state that is for such a storied franchise.

Yeah, I still hate the bastard too for that Kronwall hit.

We've had many injuries this year, but that was the worst one, because it was intentional.

This^^^

Also what was with him talking about the earthquake in Haiti? He is an African_Canadian born in Montreal which is pretty far from Haiti. Good move by the Canadiens.

This^^^

Also what was with him talking about the earthquake in Haiti? He is an African_Canadian born in Montreal which is pretty far from Haiti. Good move by the Canadiens.

His parents are from Haiti, and he has family there. It's not a pretty situation. It's hard to get ahold of your loved ones since much of the infrastructure has been damaged, and the people who would have been taking care of it are either dead, wounded, or fighting for survival.

There's no reason they couldn't just make him a healthy scratch for the time being. To hit someone with this when they're going through a family crisis is low.

Guest micah
There's no reason they couldn't just make him a healthy scratch for the time being. To hit someone with this when they're going through a family crisis is low.

Indeed. Business is business, but the guy has Aunts and Uncles that he hasn't heard from yet.

On the other hand, it would be nice if he were bought out, as I would not be at all surprised if he went down to Haiti to help, he's always been that kind of guy. He's a stund-up guy and you frequently see his face in NHL commercials that highlight players working with kids or helping people in need.

Edited by micah

Indeed. Business is business, but the guy has Aunts and Uncles that he hasn't heard from yet.

On the other hand, it would be nice if he were bought out, as I would not be at all surprised if he went down to Haiti to help, he's always been that kind of guy. He's a stund-up guy and you frequently see his face in NHL commercials that highlight players working with kids or helping people in need.

Yep. If they were going to sit him, knowing what he is going through, they could at least have had the decency to call him in and do it face to face instead of calling him on his way to practice.

If nothing else, they could have told him that he could have a leave of absence to take care of family matters rather than just telling him and the rest of the world that they were done with him.

There's something to be said for compassion and allowing a man to leave with dignity.

The team intends to buy out the final year of his contract. General manager Bob Gainey says Laraque has not been productive and has become a distraction.

Laraque has played just 61 games over the past two seasons. He scored his only goal with the club last week against Dallas and dedicated it to the victims of the Haiti earthquake.

I would really hope/imagine that they will at least waive him and then send him through re-entry waivers if needed to give him a chance to play somewhere else, even in the AHL if he's not claimed and chooses too... if not, VERY low class...

He doesn't really fit in MTL anyway... I could really see a team like Atlanta using him, not only for enforcing abilities, but PR, as he is a GREAT team guy and really wins over a fanbase...

I still thought had he come here 3 years ago, he would've been an amazing fit, unfortunately, we don't really have a need for him anymore and he's not worth the price tag here...

I agree, try to send him somewhere else. Extremely low class.

gainey is a crappy coach i think, never liked him. montreal needs to stop hiring legends and start getting a coach with credentials, maybe even a coach from europe or ahl. the management is just crap, i never get a good vibe from montreal. they just seem to be coasting off the coattails of seasons past

Guest Howard He Do It?!
gainey is a crappy coach i think, never liked him. montreal needs to stop hiring legends and start getting a coach with credentials, maybe even a coach from europe or ahl. the management is just crap, i never get a good vibe from montreal. they just seem to be coasting off the coattails of seasons past

Jacques Martin is the coach in Montreal now.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

The best news is that #17 will still be available to be retired by Montreal.

Craig Ludwig is crossing his fingers.

I'll take Gainey's word about Laraque being a distraction over anyone else's. Gainey rarely talks in these kjinds of terms about anyone else. 28 PIMS in 28 games isn't enough if you want the tough guy role.

From Toronto Star :

The federal Greens are hoping a former NHL tough guy will help beef up the party’s presence in Quebec.

Party leader Elizabeth May has named Georges Laraque as a deputy leader of the Green Party of Canada.

The 260-pound former Montreal Canadiens enforcer joined the Greens last February but his role has been undefined until now.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

If Big *** George, didn't make people sign contracts before they fight and just immediately hug them I'd be all for trying to get him

Your posts make me laugh for all the wrong reasons.