• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
luvmnger

jack johnson available?

Rate this topic

Wouldn't acquiring him for anyone like Leino, Lebda etc put us in an even worse cap situation? We will have to move someone with higher than a league minimum salary as it is, unless we have lingering injuries until the playoffs.

id take him. just the idea of him possibly being better than lebda/meech gets me excited. and he is only 23, so it can only get better, right???

anybody who says they dont want him is just retarded. maybe he hasnt lived up to expectations yet, but i mean c'mon he is only 23... lets not give up on him already.

probably will never happen, but if kenny did do it id be excited.

Lebda was not "drafted" by the Red Wings or anyone else. He was signed as an undrafted free agent. Regardless, I understand what you mean, its a weak argument because all you are doing is pointing out the obvious. Generally speaking, Lebda is a waste of a roster space. He does not have one strong point in his game. I suppose you can say he skates well but he does not use his skating to his advantage as he should.

Lol, Lebda does skate well, the problem is he only skates well forwards which doesnt do much for a defenseman, its kinda weird how he can fly going forwards but looks like a bloody tree with legs going backwards. Im not saying I wouldn't rather have Johnson than Lebda, all I'm saying is lets not get too far ahead of ourselves with this guy. As for Lebda, love him or hate him his time may be coming to end in Detroit but he has put some serviceable time in the past years as a 5/6th defenceman for this team.

this article does not say lombardi is willing to trade him so why all the talk

Jack Johnson responded to the article:

Kings' Jack Johnson irate over GM Lombardi's comments about him and Michigan

January 22, 2010 | 12:11 am

Jackjohnson_300 Kings defenseman Jack Johnson reacted angrily Thursday to comments made by General Manager Dean Lombardi in an interview posted on the blog frozenroyalty.net in which Lombardi said Michigan -- where Johnson played college hockey -- is "the worst" in terms of coaching players and called Johnson "awful as a hockey player" when he played for the Wolverines.

He also criticized Michigan Coach Red Berenson and said Johnson was unable to accept criticism after playing at Michigan and for the U.S. national team development program.

The interview, part of a series, can be found here.

"I'm a Michigan man. I'm very proud of it. I wouldn't want to have it any other way," Johnson said after the Kings' 4-3 shootout victory over the Buffalo Sabres at Staples Center.

"Michigan has produced more NHL players than any other school. Even the U.S. development program, people rip that and they just don't know anything about it and don't know what they're talking about."

Berenson, Johnson said, "is one of the finest coaches and men that I've met. For my general manager to rip me as a person and criticize me as a person and as a player and call me an awful hockey player is irresponsible and unprofessional."

A spokesman for the Kings said Lombardi's quotes in the interview were accurate.

-- Helene Elliott

Source.

That sound like someone who wants to stick around after what was said? Then look at the last sentence-- the spokesman for the team had a chance to do damage control and instead flipped Jack off.

That sound like someone who wants to stick around after what was said? Then look at the last sentence-- the spokesman for the team had a chance to do damage control and instead flipped Jack off.

It will make me laugh when another team picks him up and he turns out to be a decent defenseman under a different coach.

And these are times when I thank whatever higher power is in charge of hockey that we have Ken Holland.

Scored more points in ~45 NHL games than Lebda can in 78 or 65 at an age closer to prime (edit: on a team which was top 2 in league offense both of those years) -- I'll take that improvement.

A scarecrow constructed of broken composite sticks, shinpad tape and an old Whalers jersey would score more points in 45 NHL games than Lebda. :lol:

Kinda surprised how Lombardi ripped into Johnson, U of M, and Berenson considering how it could effect his young Dman.

With Johnson's response - it wouldn't surprise me if trade rumours were to continue over the next few weeks...I for 1 wouldn't mind having this guy on the team; he's rough around the edges, but has the tools to be a solid #3/#4 Dman in this league...Can't wait to see him against the Red Wings later today.

Yeah, I'm mystified too. I mean if they were going to trade him don't make it known both sides want out of the relationship-- that just diminishes the return because everyone knows he has to go. Lombardi should've shut his mouth and moved the kid. I guess the idea is to get him pissed off and make him want to prove him wrong?!? Given Lombardi's track record as a GM (look what the LA managment has done with a constant stream of top 5 draft picks) I'd bet against this management techniques.

I'm thinking this is Lombardi's way of trying to motivate the kid as well; apparently it's having an adverse effect (whaddya know?).

JJ: "Hey Mr. Lombardi, I'm having trouble getting beaten wide but I swear it feels like I'm playing the body correctly. What can I do to read the play better?"

Dean: "Well Jack I think the problem is that your mother didn't raise you right and your father was a drunk."

{Dean thinks to himself: "Good job, this will motivate the hell out of him."}

I'd say he could replace Zetterberg as one of our top 3 shooters.

Seriously though when is Zetterberg going to come up with a new reliable shootout move? It's been bugging me ever since he tried to Nilsson-Forsberg on Khabibulin last year.

{Dean thinks to himself: "Good job, this will motivate the hell out of him."}

You think humans are starting to show signs that trying to provoke the typical "Yeah? Well I'll show you what I can and can't do!" just doesn't work anymore?

You think humans are starting to show signs that trying to provoke the typical "Yeah? Well I'll show you what I can and can't do!" just doesn't work anymore?

I think it still works but not without some subtlety. And that interview with Lombardi was the pinnacle of "not subtle".

I think years ago this sort of "motivation" by the coach/gm may have worked with a good number of players - however it appears that more, and more players don't respond to this.

When ya look at old-salts such as Pat Quinn - he's def "old school" thru and thru yet he is said to have alot of patience for young players, and understands the difference in what players were like when he played as to how they are today.

That said I've always been a fan of his; too bad the Oilers are in the toilet, and I hope he's not gonna get booted outta Edmonton just yet.

I think it's the Oil management that should get the boot. Nothing they've done has really done a lot to improve the club. They can only fail for so long before they have to man up and admit they steered the ship through some terrible waters, right?

Gotta wonder how much of a "fire sale" they're gonna have, and if Holland would be interested in anyone?...Perhaps Staios?

The Oilers are in a world of trouble, they are terrible and they have a bunch of salaries on the books that nobody will even trade for.

Horcoff - 5.5 million (19 pts, -23)

Hemsky - 4.1 (22pts, injured but still)

OSullivan - 3 million (26pts)

Souray 5.4 million (4 goals, 13pts)

Gilbert 4 million (what the f*** 4 millon for this guy?)

Grebeshkov 3.1 (once again, what the f***)

They are in a world of hurt because most of these contracts are not up at the end of the year which wouldn't make these guys rentals at the deadline so to speak !

Ecklund says:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Kova...e-for-1/1/25696

Jack Johnson to Red Wings (e4)

Two sources, very close to the scene are saying a deal may get worked out that would send Jack Johnson to Detroit. I am told that "discussions are imminent."

Maybe buzz the dog put his nose on the winged wheel.

Sorry, but it is ECKlund. No chance of that happening.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that Jack Johnson wouldn't flourish here in Detroit. He's obviously got loads of potential and it might only take a change in his surroundings to turn things around for him. Add to that new coaching, the influence of Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronner, and I believe we have a recipe for success. I see this as an opportunity to get a young, talented player and I can't believe some of you are bitching about it. Meech is good but not good enough, and if I never see another 'Lebda = pylon' or 'Lebda = turnover' thread it will be too soon. We all know that our D is our strong point, and with Lilja still out and Lidstrom possibly retiring this is something we need to look into, not to mention that he wears the number 3... perhaps this is a sign that he could replace Lilja if he never gets healthy enough to play?

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Stuart - Kronwall

Ericsson - Johnson

Seriously nasty Defensive lineup. You really could shuffle them around any way you'd like and it would still look good. If anyone gets injured we've got Kindl and Janik... I'd be comfortable with that.

i wouldn't read too much into it. think of it this way.

JJ vs Lombardi.

JJ is from Michigan.

JJ to Detroit (e4) citing talks are "imminent". meaning, there hasn't been talks yet, but eklund is "betting on it"

his sources i swear to god are a magic 8 ball and fortune cookies.... maybe a Ouija board.

Tony

alright,..an part time canes fan here is going to check in and take away the cool-aid.

A. Jack Johnson is a locker room Cancer. He is an absolute prima donna who got run out of Raleigh for using his Dad as a mouth piece to bash the front office. Sound familiar? Cough Cough Lindros

B. He has a very high physical ability. That said, he might be one of the dumber hockey players In the NHL. Seriously, his hockey smarts are like negative 3. He really does play like a rover, a position which became defunct 80+ years ago.

C. A big knock against Johnson is his bone head turn overs and offensive instincts that rarely lead to points. Sound familiar again? Oh wait,...he's the defensive version of lenio.

alright,..an part time canes fan here is going to check in and take away the cool-aid.

A. Jack Johnson is a locker room Cancer. He is an absolute prima donna who got run out of Raleigh for using his Dad as a mouth piece to bash the front office. Sound familiar? Cough Cough Lindros

B. He has a very high physical ability. That said, he might be one of the dumber hockey players In the NHL. Seriously, his hockey smarts are like negative 3. He really does play like a rover, a position which became defunct 80+ years ago.

C. A big knock against Johnson is his bone head turn overs and offensive instincts that rarely lead to points. Sound familiar again? Oh wait,...he's the defensive version of lenio.

The only thing I will say in his defense is he hasn't been on a team that focuses on defensive development (ie Detroit, New Jersey, Anaheim, etc) I believe if he is taken under the wing of an experienced defensemen he can become a lot better on both ends of the ice compared to how he is today.

Listen, Lombardi has all those cup rings from his stint as GM of San Jose, and now he's leading the oft-contenders in LA to playoff glory... He has every right to criticize the most winning program in College hockey. Red Berenson's two national championships look pretty embarrassing next to Lombardi's accomplishments.