85 replies to this topic

#41 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (XxGoWingsxX @ January 22, 2010 - 07:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LoL the funny thing is, I was half tempted to post a thread of a similar topic haha. Crazy.

Even funnier is I lived in Waterford for about 4 years!! lol

Great minds.......

Posted Image

#42 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Kiprusoff quit smoking in the summer and hired a personal trainer. Probably why he has been so good this season.

#43 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (adubs @ January 22, 2010 - 09:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kiprusoff quit smoking in the summer and hired a personal trainer. Probably why he has been so good this season.

When was Kipper bad?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#44 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Howard He Do It?! @ January 22, 2010 - 07:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When was Kipper bad?

Last season he was in pretty rough shape. The drop in his numbers wasn't only due to a terrible defense, it was partially to do with Kipper.

#45 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

Wasnt Denis Savard I heard was a chain smoker. I also heard John Tavares smokes here and there.

#46 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (adubs @ January 22, 2010 - 09:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last season he was in pretty rough shape. The drop in his numbers wasn't only due to a terrible defense, it was partially to do with Kipper.

I bet it also explains why he always looks so wiped out in the playoffs. Well, that and he never really gets rest.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#47 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Howard He Do It?! @ January 22, 2010 - 07:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet it also explains why he always looks so wiped out in the playoffs. Well, that and he never really gets rest.

Yeah. McElhinney is garbage.

I hope the cutting back of drinking and quitting smoking means he can play 65+ games. I can't see Brent Sutter playing McBackup very much considering the Flames aren't in a playoff spot and he just cost us a valuable game.

#48 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (mindfly @ January 22, 2010 - 07:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SNUS

You bake the sort-of-wet tobbacco with your finger tips then put it up under your upper lip and then let it stay there for 15-30mins, the fluid that comes from it contains all the stuff the nicotine people love, its bad for teeth and s*** but not as bad as smoking they say.

It's far from that chewing s*** the baseball players have in their cheek and then spitting it out..

Thanks for the pics, babe.

Intersting, but in the US, "Swedish" snus comes in little pouches. That's probably why I keep mine in the lower lip.

#49 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Im in the process of reading Theo Fleury's book and he was a degenerate smoker, in the book he talks about smoking in between periods and s***. As we all know he also had other problems like snorting mounds of coke and drinking lemon stoli right out of the bottle. It's a great book, pick it up !

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#50 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:21 PM

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#51 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

I'm fairly certain that a pretty high percentage of hockey players dip. If you ever stick around after a game, you can see a bunch of players with Skoal (or whatever) rings in their pockets. At least that's what a couple of my friends have said.

And if it's anything like every team I've played on since I was 16, then there's definitely a bunch who dip.

And Lennart (Seppo talking here tongue.gif), what you call snus, we call dip. Camel is trying to market some stuff they call snus, and it is, but it's just snus in pouches. Not a fan of it. I'll stick to my long cut Skoal.

Edited by SeeinRed, 23 January 2010 - 12:46 AM.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#52 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (DatsyukianDeke13 @ January 22, 2010 - 07:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol yeah I think it is a local thing. I don't smoke or anything, but all the people I know who do it call it dip

Not just a local thing. We call it that in Canada too. We call it chew as well.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#53 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (esteef @ January 22, 2010 - 07:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leino smokes pole. ph34r.gif

esteef

Probabably been mentioned already but a definite win on that one. lol
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#54 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (kook_10 @ January 22, 2010 - 07:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phaneuf and Kipper

Kipper smokes between periods! He drinks like none other either. My buddy works for a glass company who had to go and replace Rhett Warrener's window casue Kipper got pissed up and kicked and busted out the window.

Edit: Didn't see the update on Kipper's smokers status from adubs before I posted. It's good he quit.

Edited by zettie85, 23 January 2010 - 02:40 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#55 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:10 AM

This topic reminds me what an old classmate told me years ago about the Milwaukee Admirals...

His father being a doctor was on the teams medical staff for a few years...Every once in a while my buddy had an opportunity to "hang out" in the players locker room after games; there the equipment guys/trainers (was in the late 70's/early 80's so they did a little of both) would have a few coolers filled with ice, and beer, and above each locker would be a tin/pouch/pack of that players preferred tobacco product.

Back in those days in the minors only a handful of guys really took exceptional care of themselves...A old co-worker of mine had season tickets to the Milwaukee Admirals during that same time; most of the players would head over to the bars across the street from the Mecca Arena to drink/hang out with the fans.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#56 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (55fan @ January 23, 2010 - 04:30AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the pics, babe.

Intersting, but in the US, "Swedish" snus comes in little pouches. That's probably why I keep mine in the lower lip.

There are both kinds in Sweden as well.

#57 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ January 23, 2010 - 01:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are both kinds in Sweden as well.

Never seen anyone keep it in the lower lip though blink.gif

#58 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (Jocke @ January 23, 2010 - 08:29AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never seen anyone keep it in the lower lip though blink.gif

laugh.gif

It's funny, because I don't know anyone who does it up top either. And I know quite a few people that dip.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#59 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Why not talk about steroids also? I'm pretty sure many NHLers use them. People just don't talk about it in the media.

Here's an interesting Finnish article.

Take Forsberg for example. He weight 86kg from 1994 to 2001. Then after that he got 7kg more weight in one year. How's that possible? We're talking about muscle here. This isn't fat. His weight had been stable for 7 years and then it just raised 7kg in ONE YEAR. And then it was stable at 93kg. These are professional atheletes, so as I said, it's muscle not fat.

How is it possible to gain 7kg more muscle weight in one year when you're not a teenager anymore? You have to play 82 games a season. When do you have time to train like that? It has been said, that adults can only get maximum of 3kg muscle weight in one year, with normal training.

And I didn't pick Forsberg for example because he's a Swede. It's just funny how stable he's weight has been. Then after 00-01 season the coach said that he gets thrown around too much. And he had to take those pills. Also, Teemu Selanne weight only 70kg when he came into the league in 1992. After the first season he weight 82kg. Now he's about 95kg.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 23 January 2010 - 09:09 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#60 Stiffy

Stiffy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

I didn't read the entire thread, but the first thought I had was that Robert Lang must be a smoker!