• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Ville Leino Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

Yes. I want every single Wings player to succeed. And I don't think it's time to give up on this kid (unless it means having to choose between him and someone better with more potential).

He's good at creating scoring chances that don't lead to goals. :P I'll give him that much.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13
Yes. I want every single Wings player to succeed. And I don't think it's time to give up on this kid (unless it means having to choose between him and someone better with more potential).

He's good at creating scoring chances that don't lead to goals. :P I'll give him that much.

Tomas Tatar :cool:

Guest DatsyukianDeke13
Just as he looks set to do something with the puck/gets himself in a great position to score - he gets knocked over, trips himself up, or shoots wide of the net.

The kid has some raw talent - I'll say that, but just can't finish what he starts.

He's a ROOKIE. give him time

Has it been long enough for you to ask for a new sig yet? Kidding.

I just want him to get better. Whether it's in the weight room or whatever. I just want him to get better and get on a pace where he's consistently moving forward with improvement.

Last year the Wings were on their game, Ville looked good.

This year the Wings are struggling, Ville not as good.

Coincidence, I think not. It's all relative. The team is still not gelling completely. When the season starts with Homer as the top goal scorer and Meech getting tons of ice time you know it is going to be a different year. Ville's numbers in the AHL prove that he has the talent. I have seen stick handling from this guy in Grand Rapids that I couldn't believe. Dangle dangle type stuff. Deke goalies out of their shorts. Give him time. First full year, one of the Wings worst in quite a while, and everybody comes down on the rookie. Maybe we should be looking at some of our bigger names to step it up a little instead of picking on the new guys.

I support him enough so that I wan't to see him on the team. Not necessarily on the lineup every game, but I wouldn't want to lose him on waivers. He can compete for that 3rd line spot with Miller. He has one year left in the contract after this year, so he's probably more valuable in the trading market than May.

Does he have a mentor on the team? I never hear much about this, but of course that certainly doesn't mean it isn't happening. Flip spends a lot of time with Datsyuk and of all the younger players Flip gets my vote as someone who is very serious about improving his game. Are others like Ville seeking out advice and spending time with the big guys? I'm wondering that with the cap and so many good quality older players fading away, is it possible to hire them as "player development" coaches or something. For example, when he wants to stop playing Chelios would be a good pick as someone to spend time with our younger D.

Guest micah

I support Leino hitting the weight room, putting on 25 lbs and deciding that he wants to do the uncomfortable things that a man has to do to become a solid player in this league.

i gotta admit... i hoped leino would have a breakout season. however, unlike other rookies who often put up big numbers in their first year and then cool off a bit for year or two, this can't happen with leino. he can only get better. I really like him in theory, it just seems that he is really not strong enough. the talent is there. he even has shown a bit of belief in himself in the last game.

its tough on his confidence when he is constantly scratched in favor of may, who is the exact opposite of him in playing style. i think the worst thing would be not playing well and then everyone around you saying that your job is in jeopardy, and not being able to prove yourself regularly (he keeps getting scratched). Thats why i think babcock has thrown him in the lineup the last few games.

I support Leino in the way that I support all Red Wings players, I hope he succeeds so that the team can succeed. I have been disappointed with his performance this season, but the same could be said about most of this team. I know he has the potential to perform at a much higher level than he has been, and I'd hate to lose him on waivers, but he should not be entitled to a guaranteed roster spot when our regulars return from injury solely on the basis of his contract, when guys that were brought in off the reject pile (specifically Drew Miller) have been not only out performing him numbers-wise, but have been playing Red Wings hockey the way it should be played, back-checking, sacrificing the body, winning physical battles, etc. Again, I'd hate to lose him outright and I'm not giving up on his potential, but he needs to prove that he belongs here, and so far he hasn't.

He looked really good last game and created a couple solid scoring chances. All that needs to happen for him is the bounces need to go his way for 2 games in a row. His confidence is basically shot right now and he could just use a shot going straight through a goalie from a bad angle. He's too talented to keep being ineffective and you can see his work ethic is slowly getting better.

But yeah, I hope like hell he starts to play great.

I do support him and think he can and will play better eventually. The problem is, he is running out of time. He is pretty old for a rookie, and still has a lot of areas he needs to improve in.

Yes he needs to work on his speed and strength, but if I recall correctly, last offseason he supposedly did nothing but leg, speed, and strength work.

I hope the Wings keep him around and he finds his groove. I have a feeling that if we deal him or waive him, he'll suddenly end up a 20+ scorer somewhere, and we can't have that!

In leino's defense... we did go from the best offense in the league to the worst one... so it's not like anyone is feeding him anything golden for him to capitalize on offensively, nor is there much of anyone for him to pass to, nor can we place him with a confident veteran presence capable of getting him out of the slump (because even our veteran's confidence levels have appeared low at times).

He's probably played himself off of the team come playoffs, but that doesn't mean that he won't immediately benefit from more open ice, and less pressure to play it safe/be productive, when we're actually a strong offensive team again (like when Franzen, Kron, Holms all return).

i really don't think there is pressure on leino to score. babcock has been saying this all along. leino thinks he's playing bad cause hes not scoring. babcock just wants effort and then the scoring will come as a result eventually. look at eaves and miller as examples of this. leino has the talent to score, its just not happening without some elbow grease.

I support Leino hitting the weight room, putting on 25 lbs and deciding that he wants to do the uncomfortable things that a man has to do to become a solid player in this league.
I don't want him gaining 25 pounds,but getting stronger is a must. He just gets manhandled all the time. If he doesn't gain strength he will not do much.

I do feel he hasn't had as good a season as he would have expected or we did. I had him down to get 30-35 points this year. But saying that the supporting cast isn't as strong. I mean if i had Pav as my C and Hoss on the other wing I'd have gotten points on last years team! Expectations were high, a top scorer in the Finnish league he set some of his own standards. I think he'll come good its whether he does it here or on another team is what

is down to him.

I do feel he hasn't had as good a season as he would have expected or we did. I had him down to get 30-35 points this year. But saying that the supporting cast isn't as strong. I mean if i had Pav as my C and Hoss on the other wing I'd have gotten points on last years team! Expectations were high, a top scorer in the Finnish league he set some of his own standards. I think he'll come good its whether he does it here or on another team is what

is down to him.

Except he produced most of his points last year playing with Draper and Maltby on the fourth line.

Except he produced most of his points last year playing with Draper and Maltby on the fourth line.

There is a trickle effect when you have more skill on a team tho. It opens the ice, takes the pressure off of the role players, gets everyone more comfortable in their roles.. Look at how Washington's supporting cast is doing this year.. not a damn one of those guys would be putting up comparable numbers without the top line taking most of the attention.

Just as he looks set to do something with the puck/gets himself in a great position to score - he gets knocked over, trips himself up, or shoots wide of the net.

The kid has some raw talent - I'll say that, but just can't finish what he starts.

I hate to say this, but no one on the team can finish what they start lately...