• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Ville Leino Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

A player as soft as Leino just needed someplace that could toughen him up. He found it in Philly apparently.

I still see the biggest thing was just a new team and a new start for him. Whether it was Flyers, Trashers or Sharks. Flyers is a good fit yes, as there already is many tougher guys and they have more "room" for skill. Still, I think the biggest change has happened with his confidence like I kinda predicted (Latendress and Jokinen for example even they're higher calibre players, the effect is still the same). Edited by Finnish Wing

Brashear is washed up.

My point was just common sense. If you're going into a brawl, you're going to act tougher knowing that you have some muscle behind you, than knowing that you don't have it behind you.

A player as soft as Leino just needed someplace that could toughen him up. He found it in Philly apparently.

He's still not playing that great.

Well he sure seems to be running the Flyers PP lately, I wonder if Kenny thought of off loading Williams when he had to make the choice?

I'm sure he did. But who would want Williams?

Wasn't DET the only team to offer him a contract last year?

Leino looks absolutely awesome. He's amazing on the PP.

He's distributing the puck well, prepared to take a hit, going in front of the net to screen the goalie, it's a completely different players.

Thanks for nothing Ville. <_<

Leino looks great offensively with the Flyers. In the offensive end, he is great at cycling, setting people up, and shooting. However, pay attention to #22 in the defensive zone, and the neutral zone. He is just plain awful in the defensive end, and he cannot skate nearly as well as an NHL player should. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off when playing defense, and usually just resorts to standing in front of his own net, because he is not quick enough on his feet to play defense. He relies on his teammates to bail him out of the defensive zone almost every time.

EDIT: Just looked up that he is a point per game player in these playoffs. 2G 7A in 9GP +2. That's pretty good, but I'm sticking to my story.

Edited by under_par_00

Guest micah

Life is funny. I suspect Leino was pretty bummed when Detroit dumped him off to that goon squad in Philly. I suspect he's pretty happy about it today. He is playing well and playing for a chance to lift the Cup when the team that sent him packing is one the golf course.

It's amazing what working alongside superhuman players like Pronger, Hartnell, Asham, Carcilo Lapperiere and Richards can do for a guy's confidence. I'm sure that playing under the tutilage of Assistant Coach Craig Berube hasn't hurt any either:)

its tough to see Leino playing well for Philly. but its one of those moves that had to be made. had we kept him i am sure we would all still be just as frustrated with him. unlike the Quincey move, Leino was given an opportunity to succeed here and just wasn't working out.

He's turned out to be a pretty good fit with the Flyers, good for him.

He was good in flashes here too, he's streaky at best and like everything else, water will find it's level and he'll return to his mediocre at best play...

Leino looks great offensively with the Flyers. In the offensive end, he is great at cycling, setting people up, and shooting. However, pay attention to #22 in the defensive zone, and the neutral zone. He is just plain awful in the defensive end, and he cannot skate nearly as well as an NHL player should. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off when playing defense, and usually just resorts to standing in front of his own net, because he is not quick enough on his feet to play defense. He relies on his teammates to bail him out of the defensive zone almost every time.

Haha. You probably haven't even watched him play this playoffs. You're just bitter because it didn't work here and you're trying to make up something to make him look bad.

He's been as good as needed defensively. He's not a PK guy or a 4th liner. He's been skating much faster and back checking as well. Also, he's a winger. If you know anything about hockey, you'd know that wingers defend against the opposite d-men in the defensive zone. Sure, they can block shots, but I don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg do that either. They're not supposed to "scrum" in front of their own net.

And what does it matter anyway when you are scoring ppg?

He was good in flashes here too, he's streaky at best and like everything else, water will find it's level and he'll return to his mediocre at best play...

You hope that don't you? Because you made a prediction that he will never be NHL-level player or something like that (never score more than 30 points etc.?).

I've watched him since 2002 and I can say that now he's back to his normal self. In Detroit he was worse than he really is.

Go Ville, get that Cup!

Guest Shoreline

Wow this thread reads like a bi-polar trainwreck.

I love Leino he's so awesome! Let's come up with some cute nickname for him! (with Detroit)

f*** Ville he's a scumbag ******* and his mother wears combat boots. (after Detroit)

Toughness of the Flyers is what made him actually get on the scoreboard more! (cuz toughness makes the puck so scared of tough players it throws itself in the net out of intimidation)

Entertainment at it's finest. ;)

It's amazing what working alongside superhuman players like Pronger, Hartnell, Asham, Carcilo Lapperiere and Richards can do for a guy's confidence. I'm sure that playing under the tutilage of Assistant Coach Craig Berube hasn't hurt any either:)

I guess its amazing what playing along all those "soft Euros" like Mule, Homer, Lids, Z, and Dats can do for Eaves' and Miller's confidence. Or perhaps Leino, like a whole lot of players, may play well with a change of venue or the offense of being the odd man out and shipped to another team. :rolleyes:

Toughness of the Flyers is what made him actually get on the scoreboard more! (cuz toughness makes the puck so scared of tough players it throws itself in the net out of intimidation)

Entertainment at it's finest. ;)

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Life is funny. I suspect Leino was pretty bummed when Detroit dumped him off to that goon squad in Philly. I suspect he's pretty happy about it today. He is playing well and playing for a chance to lift the Cup when the team that sent him packing is one the golf course.

Somebody likes exaggerating!

Good for Leino for starting to get his game together in Philadelphia on a consistent basis. Thankfully nobody has said, at least yet, that we should've kept him after the fact that he has done better. Pretty easy to say stuff like that after it happened. Bottom line is with the Wings, he barely did anything and I don't regret him leaving. I wish him nothing but the best in Philly or elsewhere.

Haha. You probably haven't even watched him play this playoffs. You're just bitter because it didn't work here and you're trying to make up something to make him look bad.

He's been as good as needed defensively. He's not a PK guy or a 4th liner. He's been skating much faster and back checking as well. Also, he's a winger. If you know anything about hockey, you'd know that wingers defend against the opposite d-men in the defensive zone. Sure, they can block shots, but I don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg do that either. They're not supposed to "scrum" in front of their own net.

And what does it matter anyway when you are scoring ppg?

I've watched quite a few of the Flyers games in these playoffs. I have been watching Leino especially. No, I am not bitter at all, he was not working out in Detroit and I wish him all the best elsewhere. I am glad we were able to get a 5th round pick for him!

He is terrible in the defensive zone. Watch him play! He loses many battles along the boards usually because he is not quick enough on his feet to get into good position. I played competitive hockey for 10+ years growing up, so yes, I do know what a winger's job is. Maybe you should give your little speech to Ville*. I know they don't "scrum in front of their own net", and that is exactly why I mentioned that in my post. Please don't insult my intelligence like that again.

He seems to have loads of offensive awareness though, and he is great at cycling the puck, seeing the ice, and creating chances. When he needs to get down and dirty in his own zone, he is lost, and unwilling to expend the energy required to make defensive plays.

*This is sarcasm, please don't reply and attack this sentence.

Edited by under_par_00

You hope that don't you? Because you made a prediction that he will never be NHL-level player or something like that (never score more than 30 points etc.?).

I've watched him since 2002 and I can say that now he's back to his normal self. In Detroit he was worse than he really is.

Go Ville, get that Cup!

You've watched him in an inferior and FAR less physical league... hardly the same and no, I don't hope that... I BELIEVE THAT, I predicted that and I stand by it

like I said ad-nauseam in the other thread - feel free to bookmark this and quote me and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if it ever happens and like I said THEN too, I doubt that will ever happen

We get it though, you want to make babies with Leino...

I wish we would have signed him to a 2-way contract so that we wouldn't have had to trade him

I have a feeling that had Detroit tried to do that, he would have rejected it in the same manner as whoever it was that said he'd rather go back home than play in the minors. Leino just didn't have a very good attitude here.

You've watched him in an inferior and FAR less physical league... hardly the same and no, I don't hope that... I BELIEVE THAT, I predicted that and I stand by it

like I said ad-nauseam in the other thread - feel free to bookmark this and quote me and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if it ever happens and like I said THEN too, I doubt that will ever happen

We get it though, you want to make babies with Leino...

I think it's much more likely that he'll score more than 30 points than less 30 points.

I've watched him since 2002 regardless of the league. I've watched him in FNL, AHL and NHL. He certainly has all the tools as he has proven last year here and this year in the playoffs. Your prediction is based only on one bad year here. You don't put up 9 points in 9 games in the playoffs as a rookie by accident.

I want to make babies with him? Maybe not. No need to go personal. You can say I'm biased, but I can say that you're biased against him. After all, I understand if you don't wish him good as he didn't play very well here and that's probably also why we sucked in the playoffs this year.

I have a feeling that had Detroit tried to do that, he would have rejected it in the same manner as whoever it was that said he'd rather go back home than play in the minors. Leino just didn't have a very good attitude here.

He was 25 and had already played a full year in the AHL. After his MVP season in the FNL he could've as well gone to the KHL and get much more money there, but he decided to try and get to the NHL. There are numerous guys who would've chosen the easier path.

I don't think you can blame his attitude. I doubt the other guys in GR last year would've been able to dominate FNL the way he did. The NHL is just one league in the world of hockey. Just because someone says that he doesn't have to play here or goes to play in the KHL like Huds, doesn't mean he's disrespecting Red Wings or lacking work ethic etc.

Edited by Finnish Wing