• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Ville Leino Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

I think it's much more likely that he'll score more than 30 points than less 30 points.

I've watched him since 2002 regardless of the league. I've watched him in FNL, AHL and NHL. He certainly has all the tools as he has proven last year here and this year in the playoffs. Your prediction is based only on one bad year here. You don't put up 9 points in 9 games in the playoffs as a rookie by accident.

I want to make babies with him? Maybe not. No need to go personal. You can say I'm biased, but I can say that you're biased against him. After all, I understand if you don't wish him good as he didn't play very well here and that's probably also why we sucked in the playoffs this year.

He was 25 and had already played a full year in the AHL. After his MVP season in the FNL he could've as well gone to the KHL and get much more money there, but he decided to try and get to the NHL. There are numerous guys who would've chosen the easier path.

I don't think you can blame his attitude. I doubt the other guys in GR last year would've been able to dominate FNL the way he did. The NHL is just one league in the world of hockey. Just because someone says that he doesn't have to play here or goes to play in the KHL like Huds, doesn't mean he's disrespecting Red Wings or lacking work ethic etc.

It's not that he didn't play well here. He was lazy, refused to make the extra effort to make a play. Said stupid s*** to the press. Was knocked off the puck whenever someone used harsh language. I don't care how well he is doing somewhere else. He sucked here big time and I, personally, would never want to see him in a Wings sweater ever again. I don't care if he is racking up a PPG in the weak ass East. Big deal. My son could get a PPG in the East. He was completely lost and useless in the Wings system. He's better off in the East playing dumb, systemless hockey.

It's not that he didn't play well here. He was lazy, refused to make the extra effort to make a play. Said stupid s*** to the press. Was knocked off the puck whenever someone used harsh language. I don't care how well he is doing somewhere else. He sucked here big time and I, personally, would never want to see him in a Wings sweater ever again. I don't care if he is racking up a PPG in the weak ass East. Big deal. My son could get a PPG in the East. He was completely lost and useless in the Wings system. He's better off in the East playing dumb, systemless hockey.

No evidence to back up that argument.

Nothing to back up that either.

Same thing.

At least he's still playing somewhere.

So basically some opinions, with nothing to back them up. You can have your opinions though. Just don't make them look like facts. The fact is that most of the people hate that he's doing well right now and hope that he wouldn't succeed.

No evidence to back up that argument.

Nothing to back up that either.

Same thing.

At least he's still playing somewhere.

So basically some opinions, with nothing to back them up. You can have your opinions though. Just don't make them look like facts. The fact is that most of the people hate that he's doing well right now and hope that he wouldn't succeed.

They are facts... why do you think he rode the pine so much? Lol. Have you ever seen a Wings player benched for not scoring if he was doing other things to help the team?

Shall we delve into point totals for last season?

I don't care if he succeeds or not... but I fully understand someone not wishing him well after he basically demanded to play on the big team and then proceeded to stink up the joint while flapping his trap to the press about not being the type of player that digs in the corners. Language barrier? Maybe. Still a stupid thing to say. Screw him.

Edited by Broken 16

They are facts... why do you think he rode the pine so much? Lol. Have you ever seen a Wings player benched for not scoring if he was doing other things to help the team?

Shall we delve into point totals for last season?

I don't care if he succeeds or not... but I fully understand someone not wishing him well after he basically stunk up the place after basically demanding to play on the big team. Screw him.

Why was he out of the lineup? Because he's supposed to be offensive player and he wasn't producing. It's that simple. He got his confidence back by changing the team like I kinda predicted and know he's doing pretty well.

Point totals of last season or this season? Because this season isn't over yet - at least not for him. ;)

Last season proved that he can play at this level. This season one thing led to another and he lost his confidence. You can check who's leading the scoring among rookies in this year's playoffs if you make that "working hard = more points" -argument.

I agree that he didn't do all the little things right on the ice here, but to say he was lazy (basically meaning that he didn't even wan't to get it done here) is bulls***. Like I said: how many guys take the AHL-road at the age of 25 when they have a change to earn multiple times more cash instantly in the KHL?

Edited by Finnish Wing

Why was he out of the lineup? Because he's supposed to be offensive player and he wasn't producing. It's that simple. He got his confidence back by changing the team like I kinda predicted and know he's doing pretty well.

Right... one dimensional. That's why he is gone and that's why I don't want him back.

Point totals of last season or this season? Because this season isn't over yet - at least not for him. ;)

Any points he's racked up since leaving the Wings don't matter. Since he would be sitting home if he was still with us... and probably a lot sooner.

Last season proved that he can play at this level. This season one thing led to another and he lost his confidence. You can check who's leading the scoring among rookies in this year's playoffs if you make that "working hard = more points" -argument.

You're speaking about his Flyers totals as if they mean anything to me. Players have lost confidence before and were benched. Thing is... most of those players wake up and don't get benched again till next season. Leino woke up for one period after each benching and then was basically useless again by the time the game was over.

Offensive numbers don't impress me coming out of the East. It's pretty much what they do over there.

I agree that he didn't do all the little things right on the ice here, but to say he was lazy (basically meaning that he didn't even wan't to get it done here) is bulls***. Like I said: how many guys take the AHL-road at the age of 25 when they have a change to earn multiple times more cash instantly in the KHL?

A) He was lazy and refused to do the little things that would keep him in the line up.

B) He was too dumb to grasp the Wings system and didn't fit.

C) He realized that he was outmatched and wasn't gonna be able to compete for a top 6 roster spot and gave up.

Your pick.

Edited by Broken 16

A) He was lazy and refused to do the little things that would keep him in the line up.

B) He was too dumb to grasp the Wings system and didn't fit.

C) He realized that he was outmatched and wasn't gonna be able to compete for a top 6 roster spot and gave up.

Your pick.

D) He had lost his confidence like Jokinen had in Tampa Bay and nothing went right. Flyers was a chance of fresh start for him.
Lack of effort? You mean he didn't want to even try? Hmm... weird that he decided to come all the way through AHL then and not go to KHL to get some money and top6 ice time if he wasn't even gonna try. As I said: when you have lost your confidence even all the little things are going wrong on the ice. It may look like it's being lazy or not trying, but when you're scoring most of the little things go right as well.

There are numerous players like Leino in the NHL who are not very useful and not playing well if they don't produce offensively (like his linemate Danny Briere for example). We have the luxury of having guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk who are great defensively even when they don't produce offense. You can't expect anything like that from a 800k guy though.

Edited by Finnish Wing

D) He had lost his confidence like Jokinen had in Tampa Bay and nothing went right. Flyers was a chance of fresh start for him.

You've never played hockey... confidence has NOTHING to do with hustle. Zero, zilch, nada. He couldn't even hang positionally. Stop trying to gloss over lack of will by clumping it up with lack of confidence. They are two seperate things. Every player loses confidence at some point. Good players work through it with hustle and determination. Leino didn't do that.

You can cite other examples of players sucking all day and it won't change the fact that Leino didn't hustle... and even admitted it in the press.

Edited by Broken 16

Lack of effort? You mean he didn't want to even try? Hmm... weird that he decided to come all the way through AHL then and not go to KHL to get some money and top6 ice time if he wasn't even gonna try. As I said: when you have lost your confidence even all the little things are going wrong on the ice. It may look like it's being lazy or not trying, but when you're scoring most of the little things go right as well.

There are numerous players like Leino in the NHL who are not very useful and not playing well if they don't produce offensively (like his linemate Danny Briere for example). We have the luxury of having guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk who are great defensively even when they don't produce offense. You can't expect anything like that from a 800k guy though.

you don't like to read do you? You absolutely can and should expect backchecking from an 800k guy. You absolutely can and should expect an 800k guy to battle for the puck. Players find their confidence by moving their feet and creating opportunities. Look at Val Filppula. Ville wasn't willing or able to do that here. Whether it was from laziness or a limp-dicked crisis of confidence, he didn't put in the effort here. If I were to accept your argument I would end up respecting him less because he had to have his confidence handed to him rather than working for it.

Okay, so he was confident all the time, he just SUDDENLY didn't wanna work anymore after he got that HUGE 800k per year deal. What a fukin joke.

I can't believe you are using his salary as a way to justify his utter uselessness as a Red Wing. I see... so not only demand a one way contract... but also pay me a bunch of money if you want me to score and be a team player. Congrats, you've convinced me. I hate him.

I can't believe you are using his salary as a way to justify his utter uselessness as a Red Wing. I see... so not only demand a one way contract... but also pay me a bunch of money if you want me to score and be a team player. Congrats, you've convinced me. I hate him.

Desperation is a stinky cologne...

And Ville Leino REAKED!

You've never played hockey... confidence has NOTHING to do with hustle. Zero, zilch, nada. He couldn't even hang positionally. Stop trying to gloss over lack of will by clumping it up with lack of confidence. They are two seperate things. Every player loses confidence at some point. Good players work through it with hustle and determination. Leino didn't do that.

You can cite other examples of players sucking all day and it won't change the fact that Leino didn't hustle... and even admitted it in the press.

Good post. Hustle and work hard, and the points will come

As I said before, it was Holland's mistake to not get a real top6 forward instead of unsure guys like Leino and Williams. They were both supposed to be offensive players and Holland did know very well that they won't be playing on the PK and that their strenghts are not on the own end. Leino was benched because he wasn't brining that offense what Holland expected (last year he had 9 points and 13 games). You can't put a guy like him on the 4th line checking role if he doesn't produce. The only way is to bench him.

There are numerous guys in the NHL just like him who are pretty much useless if they don't produce. To say he "didn't" back check at all is stupid, but I'm not sure if Danny Briere's strenght is back checking either. There are even more guys like Leino who are on the verge of being NHLers, but are offensive players so they can't play on the defensive roles. They play in the KHL or AHL because their offensive production isn't good enough to be in the top6 in NHL. Some guys like Stefan Ruzizcka, Petri Kontiola or Marek Zagrapan. They all have almost NHL potential but does it mean they're lazy because they play in the KHL or some other league? Those guys wouldn't have look too much different in Leino's situation.

I agree that Leino is/was one-dimensional, but I don't agree he was lazy. Or if he was, then I guess most of the top6 forwards playing outside NHL are lazy by that logic.

Good post. Hustle and work hard, and the points will come

Confidence has much more effect when scoring goals for example than working hard and hustling. Every great goal scorer say the biggest thing is confidence. Again, Jussi Jokinen said that when he had no confidence in Tampa Bay the goalie looked bigger and the goal smaller. When he got his confidence back with a fresh start in Carolina the goalie looked smaller and the goal bigger.

You've never played hockey... confidence has NOTHING to do with hustle. Zero, zilch, nada.

Seems like you haven't really played any sport. If you don't believe in yourself, working hard doesn't matter s***. To say that hustling has bigger effect on one's game than believing oneself is just stupid. Edited by Finnish Wing

Confidence has much more effect when scoring goals for example than working hard and hustling. Every great goal scorer say the biggest thing is confidence. Again, Jussi Jokinen said that when he had no confidence in Tampa Bay the goalie looked bigger and the goal smaller. When he got his confidence back with a fresh start in Carolina the goalie looked smaller and the goal bigger.

I understand your point, but when the goals aren't coming, the least you can do is continue to work hard and act like you care.

As I said before, it was Holland's mistake to not get a real top6 forward instead of unsure guys like Leino and Williams. They were both supposed to be offensive players and Holland did know very well that they won't be playing on the PK and that their strenghts are not on the own end. Leino was benched because he wasn't brining that offense what Holland expected (last year he had 9 points and 13 games). You can't put a guy like him on the 4th line checking role if he doesn't produce. The only way is to bench him.

There are numerous guys in the NHL just like him who are pretty much useless if they don't produce. To say he "didn't" back check at all is stupid, but I'm not sure if Danny Briere's strenght is back checking either. There are even more guys like Leino who are on the verge of being NHLers, but are offensive players so they can't play on the defensive roles. They play in the KHL or AHL because their offensive production isn't good enough to be in the top6 in NHL. Some guys like Stefan Ruzizcka, Petri Kontiola or Marek Zagrapan. They all have almost NHL potential but does it mean they're lazy because they play in the KHL or some other league? Those guys wouldn't have look too much different in Leino's situation.

I agree that Leino is/was one-dimensional, but I don't agree he was lazy. Or if he was, then I guess most of the top6 forwards playing outside NHL are lazy by that logic.

You keep saying that and it just isn't true. He wasn't benched because he wasn't scoring. A lot of things have to happen before you actually score the goal. THOSE were the things he wasn't doing. Honestly... what do you think a goal scorer is? Very rarely are goals scored in the NHL that aren't a result of hard work. Leino wasn't putting the hard work. Watch replays. Read articles. Read his own words. THAT'S why he was benched, not because he didn't score the X amount of goals that Holland anticipated. That's just stupid. Go peddle that at the HFBoards or something, because that's not gonna fly here. Sorry.

Seems like you haven't really played any sport. If you don't believe in yourself, working hard doesn't matter s***. To say that hustling has bigger effect on one's game than believing oneself is just stupid.

Nice recipe for failure there bro... kids at home, ignore his post.

One thing leads to another. Don't spend your life waiting for someone to hand you confidence on a silver platter.

Edited by Broken 16

Hmm... wonder why it's many time the same thing with guys like Leino who are borderline top6 players. Everytime they're not doing well they seem lazy. Like I said, I bet a guy like Briere wouldn't look great out there if he wasn't producing offensively. And again I ask: are almost every skilled offensive guys playing top6 outside NHL even lazyer than Leino, because they didn't even try to get to the NHL?

If you don't see some guy work every day you can't really say he's lazy. It's different working hard and "working hard" in the corners, backchecking etc. I see guys like Teemu Selanne who rarely do anything without the puck. They provide offense, but are useless if they don't do it.

Are they lazy? What do you think being lazy even means then? Lazy compared to what? At least compared to average fan like you, I don't think you can call any professional athlete lazy.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Hmm... wonder why it's many time the same thing with guys like Leino who are borderline top6 players. Everytime they're not doing well they seem lazy. Like I said, I bet a guy like Briere wouldn't look great out there if he wasn't producing offensively. And again I ask: are almost every skilled offensive guys playing top6 outside NHL even lazyer than Leino, because they didn't even try to get to the NHL?

If you don't see some guy work every day you can't really say he's lazy. It's different working hard and "working hard" in the corners, backchecking etc. I see guys like Teemu Selanne who rarely do anything without the puck. They provide offense, but are useless if they don't do it.

Are they lazy? What do you think being lazy even means then? Lazy compared to what? At least compared to average fan like you, I don't think you can call any professional athlete lazy.

I saw Leino give up on more plays than I care to count. GIVE UP. Put his stick in the air and skate for the bench. When he lost possession (which was often), he didn't bother to try and get the puck back. When he had possession, he would telegraph a ridiculous move, then try and pull it off on the perimeter... fooling nobody. We wasn't willing to drive the net on a regular basis. He lost most of his individual battles. Put a half assed effort into backchecking. Was weak on the puck.

You can call that whatever you want... but I call that laziness.

By your logic... nobody that has a job can ever be considered lazy. Guess what... when someone shows up to the office everyday and doesn't try... he is lazy. Having a job doesn't automatically make you unlazy. Get a clue. A professional athlete is no different than any other kind of professional.

Edited by Broken 16