• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#201 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Ville Leino is pointing and laughing at each and every one of you right now. :ph34r:

He wouldn't get away with that if he weren't surrounded by toughguys....
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#202 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

So wait... having better linemates, confidence and more ice time makes a player play better!? No one tell the Hudler haters...

lol keep the negs coming instead of replying.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 19 May 2010 - 12:19 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#203 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

He was scratched because Laviolette said he ain't gonna chance a winning lineup. He said already later, that Leino wasn't scratch because he wasn't "good enough". He was also injured for few games when they playoffs started.

Then came the other injuries and he took his chance. You can say he's on a hot streak, but he's still leading the scoring among rookies in the playoffs. I find it kinda hard to believe that he wouldn't be an NHL in the future.

Babcock said last year that he was the best player he has ever sent down. A good NHL future is definitely in his cards, but I can see him running hot & cold. Like many competitive athletes I am sure he is even harder on himself than the coaches are, and he doesn't seem to respond well to criticism. He can hope that his cold is just hotter than most.

works every time

#204 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

He was scratched because Laviolette said he ain't gonna chance a winning lineup. He said already later, that Leino wasn't scratch because he wasn't "good enough". He was also injured for few games when they playoffs started.

Then came the other injuries and he took his chance. You can say he's on a hot streak, but he's still leading the scoring among rookies in the playoffs. I find it kinda hard to believe that he wouldn't be an NHL in the future.

i am not saying that there weren't good reasons for him not playing; i am implying that he wasn't anything special for most of his time in philly. he has had a good couple of weeks, no one disputes that. however, the nhl and all sports have had many players that appeared to be great early on and then flamed out. jim carey won the vezina in 1996 and was out of the nhl a couple of years later.

Edited by dobbles, 19 May 2010 - 12:35 PM.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#205 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

i am not saying that there weren't good reasons for him not playing; i am implying that he wasn't anything special for most of his time in philly. he has had a good couple of weeks, no one disputes that. however, the nhl and all sports have had many players that appeared to be great early on and then flamed out. jim carey won the vezina in 1996 and was out of the nhl a couple of years later.

Of course he wasn't anything special. The guy had totally lost his confidence and had a poor regular season under him. You've got to see the potential there as a coach if you're willing to let him play over some other guys. Laviolette actually probably wasn't even gonna play him, but the injuries forced him to do it. Leino took his chance and now Laviolette can just be thankful for the injuries, becuase he didn't see the potential.

I'm by no way saying that Leino will continue his ppg game through the next regular season and on, but I think that Carey-comparison is a poor one.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#206 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

Of course he wasn't anything special. The guy had totally lost his confidence and had a poor regular season under him. You've got to see the potential there as a coach if you're willing to let him play over some other guys. Laviolette actually probably wasn't even gonna play him, but the injuries forced him to do it. Leino took his chance and now Laviolette can just be thankful for the injuries, becuase he didn't see the potential.

I'm by no way saying that Leino will continue his ppg game through the next regular season and on, but I think that Carey-comparison is a poor one.

i am not saying i think he is destined to a similar fate as carey, however you seem to be asserting that because of his last 10 games that all but guarantees he will have a long and productive nhl career. i find that more preposterous than the carey comparison myself. so i felt it prudent to remind you that lots of young players have hot stretches and then quickly fade. if anything, leino's good play last year followed up by a pretty bad year implies that maybe he is just going to be a streaky guy that gets hot for 10 games and then floats the rest of the season. the jury is still out though. however, aside from you, i still think most people are pretty pessimistic that the last 10 games has been the real ville leino.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#207 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#208 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

i still think most people are pretty pessimistic that the last 10 games has been the real ville leino.

As I said, I don't expect that he continues playing like that through the next regular season etc. But I can say that this Ville Leino is closer to the real one than what we saw here in Detroit this season.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 19 May 2010 - 03:15 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#209 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Maybe all our Swedes just didn't want a Finn in the lineup.

Fillpulla has already become a Swede, so he doesn't count. :P
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#210 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Nope, Flip is not a bilangual fin that speak swedish fluently as well as finnish.... <_<

#211 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

You are all mistaken...Val rarely FINNISHes

Edited by HankthaTank, 19 May 2010 - 04:04 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#212 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

On Hockeycentral at Noon today, Mike Brophy said something like "Wouldn't the Wings look good right now with him on the third line"? I don't know how many more chances they could have given him in that role while he developed zero chemistry with the third liners.

#213 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

Who knows, that 5th rounder they got from philly could be a Nyquist/Ritola

#214 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

You are all mistaken...Val rarely FINNISHes

You better leave the comedy to us pros. ;)
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#215 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

You better leave the comedy to us pros. Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Hey sure!!!! Interested as to why I can't participate tho Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#216 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

HAHA... just had the thought of... what if NHL Marketing/Gary jumped on the Leino train?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#217 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

:lol:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#218 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

Well, Ville does it agian, sweet move on Halak for the 2nd goal.

Can't keep this up, can he?

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 22 May 2010 - 05:16 PM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#219 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

Haha he fell over again. At least he has managed to learn to score whilst he falls over.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#220 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

He was useless and lazy when he was with the Wings, and players with the latter trait do not last here. In any event, his loss was not felt in the least; we needed cap space, and he made it clear that he'd never play in the AHL.

I'm glad for Leino that he's doing well with the Flyers, but I don't think even the most egregious subscribers to hindsight criticism would rip on Holland for getting rid of him.