• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#101 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Leino is playing well because he's surrounded by tough guys. Like newfy suggested in another thread, players play with more balls when they are in a tough lineup. I remember the HBO Flyers documentary this past weekend, where the players said the same thing.

Leino is just feeding off the Flyers aggressive style of play by actually playing with grit and going to scoring areas. If anyone messes with him, he knows his players have his back.

Yup. Leino is a coward weakling turd. Coward weakling turds benefit from knowing they don't have to fight their own battels if they step out of line.

Franzen would be a 100 point guy if the Wings had Brashear. Maybe next year.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#102 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

Yup. Leino is a coward weakling turd. Coward weakling turds benefit from knowing they don't have to fight their own battels if they step out of line.

Franzen would be a 100 point guy if the Wings had Brashear. Maybe next year.

Brashear is washed up.

My point was just common sense. If you're going into a brawl, you're going to act tougher knowing that you have some muscle behind you, than knowing that you don't have it behind you.

A player as soft as Leino just needed someplace that could toughen him up. He found it in Philly apparently.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#103 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

totally saw this coming
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#104 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

A player as soft as Leino just needed someplace that could toughen him up. He found it in Philly apparently.

I still see the biggest thing was just a new team and a new start for him. Whether it was Flyers, Trashers or Sharks. Flyers is a good fit yes, as there already is many tougher guys and they have more "room" for skill. Still, I think the biggest change has happened with his confidence like I kinda predicted (Latendress and Jokinen for example even they're higher calibre players, the effect is still the same).

Edited by Finnish Wing, 10 May 2010 - 09:57 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#105 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Brashear is washed up.

My point was just common sense. If you're going into a brawl, you're going to act tougher knowing that you have some muscle behind you, than knowing that you don't have it behind you.

He's still not playing that great.

Posted Image

#106 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:21 AM

Well he sure seems to be running the Flyers PP lately, I wonder if Kenny thought of off loading Williams when he had to make the choice?
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#107 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:37 AM

maybe leino is the next quincey

if he ever turns out to be good we'll never hear the end of it from fans with perfect hindsight

Posted Image

#108 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:42 AM

Well he sure seems to be running the Flyers PP lately, I wonder if Kenny thought of off loading Williams when he had to make the choice?

I'm sure he did. But who would want Williams?

Wasn't DET the only team to offer him a contract last year?

#109 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

Leino looks absolutely awesome. He's amazing on the PP.

He's distributing the puck well, prepared to take a hit, going in front of the net to screen the goalie, it's a completely different players.

Thanks for nothing Ville. <_<

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#110 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

Jason Williams...possibly the worst free agent signing in many years.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#111 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Leino looks great offensively with the Flyers. In the offensive end, he is great at cycling, setting people up, and shooting. However, pay attention to #22 in the defensive zone, and the neutral zone. He is just plain awful in the defensive end, and he cannot skate nearly as well as an NHL player should. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off when playing defense, and usually just resorts to standing in front of his own net, because he is not quick enough on his feet to play defense. He relies on his teammates to bail him out of the defensive zone almost every time.

EDIT: Just looked up that he is a point per game player in these playoffs. 2G 7A in 9GP +2. That's pretty good, but I'm sticking to my story.

Edited by under_par_00, 17 May 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#112 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Life is funny. I suspect Leino was pretty bummed when Detroit dumped him off to that goon squad in Philly. I suspect he's pretty happy about it today. He is playing well and playing for a chance to lift the Cup when the team that sent him packing is one the golf course.

It's amazing what working alongside superhuman players like Pronger, Hartnell, Asham, Carcilo Lapperiere and Richards can do for a guy's confidence. I'm sure that playing under the tutilage of Assistant Coach Craig Berube hasn't hurt any either:)
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#113 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

its tough to see Leino playing well for Philly. but its one of those moves that had to be made. had we kept him i am sure we would all still be just as frustrated with him. unlike the Quincey move, Leino was given an opportunity to succeed here and just wasn't working out.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#114 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

He's turned out to be a pretty good fit with the Flyers, good for him.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#115 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

He's turned out to be a pretty good fit with the Flyers, good for him.

He was good in flashes here too, he's streaky at best and like everything else, water will find it's level and he'll return to his mediocre at best play...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#116 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Leino looks great offensively with the Flyers. In the offensive end, he is great at cycling, setting people up, and shooting. However, pay attention to #22 in the defensive zone, and the neutral zone. He is just plain awful in the defensive end, and he cannot skate nearly as well as an NHL player should. He looks like a chicken with his head cut off when playing defense, and usually just resorts to standing in front of his own net, because he is not quick enough on his feet to play defense. He relies on his teammates to bail him out of the defensive zone almost every time.

Haha. You probably haven't even watched him play this playoffs. You're just bitter because it didn't work here and you're trying to make up something to make him look bad.

He's been as good as needed defensively. He's not a PK guy or a 4th liner. He's been skating much faster and back checking as well. Also, he's a winger. If you know anything about hockey, you'd know that wingers defend against the opposite d-men in the defensive zone. Sure, they can block shots, but I don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg do that either. They're not supposed to "scrum" in front of their own net.

And what does it matter anyway when you are scoring ppg?

He was good in flashes here too, he's streaky at best and like everything else, water will find it's level and he'll return to his mediocre at best play...

You hope that don't you? Because you made a prediction that he will never be NHL-level player or something like that (never score more than 30 points etc.?).

I've watched him since 2002 and I can say that now he's back to his normal self. In Detroit he was worse than he really is.

Go Ville, get that Cup!
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#117 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Wow this thread reads like a bi-polar trainwreck.

I love Leino he's so awesome! Let's come up with some cute nickname for him! (with Detroit)
f*** Ville he's a scumbag ******* and his mother wears combat boots. (after Detroit)

Toughness of the Flyers is what made him actually get on the scoreboard more! (cuz toughness makes the puck so scared of tough players it throws itself in the net out of intimidation)

Entertainment at it's finest. ;)

#118 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Maybe if Leino and the Flyers win the cup my autographed jersey might be worth something. :lol:

Posted Image

#119 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Maybe if Leino and the Flyers win the cup my autographed jersey might be worth something. :lol:

You might want to sell it right after the Cup win though, haha.

#120 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Seriously, if he ends up winning the cup... damn!!
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"