• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#121 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

It's amazing what working alongside superhuman players like Pronger, Hartnell, Asham, Carcilo Lapperiere and Richards can do for a guy's confidence. I'm sure that playing under the tutilage of Assistant Coach Craig Berube hasn't hurt any either:)

I guess its amazing what playing along all those "soft Euros" like Mule, Homer, Lids, Z, and Dats can do for Eaves' and Miller's confidence. Or perhaps Leino, like a whole lot of players, may play well with a change of venue or the offense of being the odd man out and shipped to another team. :rolleyes:

Toughness of the Flyers is what made him actually get on the scoreboard more! (cuz toughness makes the puck so scared of tough players it throws itself in the net out of intimidation)

Entertainment at it's finest. ;)

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#122 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Life is funny. I suspect Leino was pretty bummed when Detroit dumped him off to that goon squad in Philly. I suspect he's pretty happy about it today. He is playing well and playing for a chance to lift the Cup when the team that sent him packing is one the golf course.

It's amazing what working alongside superhuman players like Pronger, Hartnell, Asham, Carcilo Lapperiere and Richards can do for a guy's confidence. I'm sure that playing under the tutilage of Assistant Coach Craig Berube hasn't hurt any either:)

Somebody likes exaggerating!

Good for Leino for starting to get his game together in Philadelphia on a consistent basis. Thankfully nobody has said, at least yet, that we should've kept him after the fact that he has done better. Pretty easy to say stuff like that after it happened. Bottom line is with the Wings, he barely did anything and I don't regret him leaving. I wish him nothing but the best in Philly or elsewhere.

#123 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

I still don't want him back.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#124 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

Haha. You probably haven't even watched him play this playoffs. You're just bitter because it didn't work here and you're trying to make up something to make him look bad.

He's been as good as needed defensively. He's not a PK guy or a 4th liner. He's been skating much faster and back checking as well. Also, he's a winger. If you know anything about hockey, you'd know that wingers defend against the opposite d-men in the defensive zone. Sure, they can block shots, but I don't think Datsyuk or Zetterberg do that either. They're not supposed to "scrum" in front of their own net.

And what does it matter anyway when you are scoring ppg?

I've watched quite a few of the Flyers games in these playoffs. I have been watching Leino especially. No, I am not bitter at all, he was not working out in Detroit and I wish him all the best elsewhere. I am glad we were able to get a 5th round pick for him!

He is terrible in the defensive zone. Watch him play! He loses many battles along the boards usually because he is not quick enough on his feet to get into good position. I played competitive hockey for 10+ years growing up, so yes, I do know what a winger's job is. Maybe you should give your little speech to Ville*. I know they don't "scrum in front of their own net", and that is exactly why I mentioned that in my post. Please don't insult my intelligence like that again.

He seems to have loads of offensive awareness though, and he is great at cycling the puck, seeing the ice, and creating chances. When he needs to get down and dirty in his own zone, he is lost, and unwilling to expend the energy required to make defensive plays.

*This is sarcasm, please don't reply and attack this sentence.

Edited by under_par_00, 17 May 2010 - 11:27 PM.

#125 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

You hope that don't you? Because you made a prediction that he will never be NHL-level player or something like that (never score more than 30 points etc.?).

I've watched him since 2002 and I can say that now he's back to his normal self. In Detroit he was worse than he really is.

Go Ville, get that Cup!

You've watched him in an inferior and FAR less physical league... hardly the same and no, I don't hope that... I BELIEVE THAT, I predicted that and I stand by it

like I said ad-nauseam in the other thread - feel free to bookmark this and quote me and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if it ever happens and like I said THEN too, I doubt that will ever happen

We get it though, you want to make babies with Leino...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#126 Hockey God

Hockey God

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

I wish we would have signed him to a 2-way contract so that we wouldn't have had to trade him

#127 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

I wish we would have signed him to a 2-way contract so that we wouldn't have had to trade him

I have a feeling that had Detroit tried to do that, he would have rejected it in the same manner as whoever it was that said he'd rather go back home than play in the minors. Leino just didn't have a very good attitude here.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#128 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

You've watched him in an inferior and FAR less physical league... hardly the same and no, I don't hope that... I BELIEVE THAT, I predicted that and I stand by it

like I said ad-nauseam in the other thread - feel free to bookmark this and quote me and I'll gladly admit I was wrong if it ever happens and like I said THEN too, I doubt that will ever happen

We get it though, you want to make babies with Leino...

I think it's much more likely that he'll score more than 30 points than less 30 points.

I've watched him since 2002 regardless of the league. I've watched him in FNL, AHL and NHL. He certainly has all the tools as he has proven last year here and this year in the playoffs. Your prediction is based only on one bad year here. You don't put up 9 points in 9 games in the playoffs as a rookie by accident.

I want to make babies with him? Maybe not. No need to go personal. You can say I'm biased, but I can say that you're biased against him. After all, I understand if you don't wish him good as he didn't play very well here and that's probably also why we sucked in the playoffs this year.

I have a feeling that had Detroit tried to do that, he would have rejected it in the same manner as whoever it was that said he'd rather go back home than play in the minors. Leino just didn't have a very good attitude here.

He was 25 and had already played a full year in the AHL. After his MVP season in the FNL he could've as well gone to the KHL and get much more money there, but he decided to try and get to the NHL. There are numerous guys who would've chosen the easier path.

I don't think you can blame his attitude. I doubt the other guys in GR last year would've been able to dominate FNL the way he did. The NHL is just one league in the world of hockey. Just because someone says that he doesn't have to play here or goes to play in the KHL like Huds, doesn't mean he's disrespecting Red Wings or lacking work ethic etc.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 18 May 2010 - 09:51 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#129 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

I think it's much more likely that he'll score more than 30 points than less 30 points.

I've watched him since 2002 regardless of the league. I've watched him in FNL, AHL and NHL. He certainly has all the tools as he has proven last year here and this year in the playoffs. Your prediction is based only on one bad year here. You don't put up 9 points in 9 games in the playoffs as a rookie by accident.

I want to make babies with him? Maybe not. No need to go personal. You can say I'm biased, but I can say that you're biased against him. After all, I understand if you don't wish him good as he didn't play very well here and that's probably also why we sucked in the playoffs this year.

He was 25 and had already played a full year in the AHL. After his MVP season in the FNL he could've as well gone to the KHL and get much more money there, but he decided to try and get to the NHL. There are numerous guys who would've chosen the easier path.

I don't think you can blame his attitude. I doubt the other guys in GR last year would've been able to dominate FNL the way he did. The NHL is just one league in the world of hockey. Just because someone says that he doesn't have to play here or goes to play in the KHL like Huds, doesn't mean he's disrespecting Red Wings or lacking work ethic etc.

It's not that he didn't play well here. He was lazy, refused to make the extra effort to make a play. Said stupid s*** to the press. Was knocked off the puck whenever someone used harsh language. I don't care how well he is doing somewhere else. He sucked here big time and I, personally, would never want to see him in a Wings sweater ever again. I don't care if he is racking up a PPG in the weak ass East. Big deal. My son could get a PPG in the East. He was completely lost and useless in the Wings system. He's better off in the East playing dumb, systemless hockey.

#130 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

It's not that he didn't play well here. He was lazy, refused to make the extra effort to make a play. Said stupid s*** to the press. Was knocked off the puck whenever someone used harsh language. I don't care how well he is doing somewhere else. He sucked here big time and I, personally, would never want to see him in a Wings sweater ever again. I don't care if he is racking up a PPG in the weak ass East. Big deal. My son could get a PPG in the East. He was completely lost and useless in the Wings system. He's better off in the East playing dumb, systemless hockey.

No evidence to back up that argument.

Nothing to back up that either.

Same thing.

At least he's still playing somewhere.

So basically some opinions, with nothing to back them up. You can have your opinions though. Just don't make them look like facts. The fact is that most of the people hate that he's doing well right now and hope that he wouldn't succeed.

#131 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

No evidence to back up that argument.

Nothing to back up that either.

Same thing.

At least he's still playing somewhere.

So basically some opinions, with nothing to back them up. You can have your opinions though. Just don't make them look like facts. The fact is that most of the people hate that he's doing well right now and hope that he wouldn't succeed.

They are facts... why do you think he rode the pine so much? Lol. Have you ever seen a Wings player benched for not scoring if he was doing other things to help the team?

Shall we delve into point totals for last season?

I don't care if he succeeds or not... but I fully understand someone not wishing him well after he basically demanded to play on the big team and then proceeded to stink up the joint while flapping his trap to the press about not being the type of player that digs in the corners. Language barrier? Maybe. Still a stupid thing to say. Screw him.

Edited by Broken 16, 18 May 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#132 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

They are facts... why do you think he rode the pine so much? Lol. Have you ever seen a Wings player benched for not scoring if he was doing other things to help the team?

Shall we delve into point totals for last season?

I don't care if he succeeds or not... but I fully understand someone not wishing him well after he basically stunk up the place after basically demanding to play on the big team. Screw him.

Why was he out of the lineup? Because he's supposed to be offensive player and he wasn't producing. It's that simple. He got his confidence back by changing the team like I kinda predicted and know he's doing pretty well.

Point totals of last season or this season? Because this season isn't over yet - at least not for him. ;)

Last season proved that he can play at this level. This season one thing led to another and he lost his confidence. You can check who's leading the scoring among rookies in this year's playoffs if you make that "working hard = more points" -argument.

I agree that he didn't do all the little things right on the ice here, but to say he was lazy (basically meaning that he didn't even wan't to get it done here) is bulls***. Like I said: how many guys take the AHL-road at the age of 25 when they have a change to earn multiple times more cash instantly in the KHL?

Edited by Finnish Wing, 18 May 2010 - 04:56 PM.

#133 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

Why was he out of the lineup? Because he's supposed to be offensive player and he wasn't producing. It's that simple. He got his confidence back by changing the team like I kinda predicted and know he's doing pretty well.

Right... one dimensional. That's why he is gone and that's why I don't want him back.

Point totals of last season or this season? Because this season isn't over yet - at least not for him. ;)

Any points he's racked up since leaving the Wings don't matter. Since he would be sitting home if he was still with us... and probably a lot sooner.

Last season proved that he can play at this level. This season one thing led to another and he lost his confidence. You can check who's leading the scoring among rookies in this year's playoffs if you make that "working hard = more points" -argument.

You're speaking about his Flyers totals as if they mean anything to me. Players have lost confidence before and were benched. Thing is... most of those players wake up and don't get benched again till next season. Leino woke up for one period after each benching and then was basically useless again by the time the game was over.

Offensive numbers don't impress me coming out of the East. It's pretty much what they do over there.

I agree that he didn't do all the little things right on the ice here, but to say he was lazy (basically meaning that he didn't even wan't to get it done here) is bulls***. Like I said: how many guys take the AHL-road at the age of 25 when they have a change to earn multiple times more cash instantly in the KHL?

A) He was lazy and refused to do the little things that would keep him in the line up.

B) He was too dumb to grasp the Wings system and didn't fit.

C) He realized that he was outmatched and wasn't gonna be able to compete for a top 6 roster spot and gave up.

Your pick.

Edited by Broken 16, 18 May 2010 - 05:09 PM.

#134 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

Why was he out of the lineup? Because he's supposed to be offensive player and he wasn't producing. It's that simple.

that is just flat wrong. he sat because of his lack of effort. here are a small sampling of a million articles stating as much:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=504605
http://detnews.com/a...stands-demotion
http://m.freep.com/n...ey=579364&rc=ne
http://www.cbssports...s-report-roster
http://blog.mlive.co...rward_vill.html
http://blog.mlive.co...we_can_all.html
http://www.mlive.com...ugh_battle.html

works every time

#135 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

A) He was lazy and refused to do the little things that would keep him in the line up.

B) He was too dumb to grasp the Wings system and didn't fit.

C) He realized that he was outmatched and wasn't gonna be able to compete for a top 6 roster spot and gave up.

Your pick.

D) He had lost his confidence like Jokinen had in Tampa Bay and nothing went right. Flyers was a chance of fresh start for him.

that is just flat wrong. he sat because of his lack of effort. here are a small sampling of a million articles stating as much:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=504605
http://detnews.com/a...stands-demotion
http://m.freep.com/n...ey=579364&rc=ne
http://www.cbssports...s-report-roster
http://blog.mlive.co...rward_vill.html
http://blog.mlive.co...we_can_all.html
http://www.mlive.com...ugh_battle.html

Lack of effort? You mean he didn't want to even try? Hmm... weird that he decided to come all the way through AHL then and not go to KHL to get some money and top6 ice time if he wasn't even gonna try. As I said: when you have lost your confidence even all the little things are going wrong on the ice. It may look like it's being lazy or not trying, but when you're scoring most of the little things go right as well.

There are numerous players like Leino in the NHL who are not very useful and not playing well if they don't produce offensively (like his linemate Danny Briere for example). We have the luxury of having guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk who are great defensively even when they don't produce offense. You can't expect anything like that from a 800k guy though.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 18 May 2010 - 05:34 PM.

#136 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

D) He had lost his confidence like Jokinen had in Tampa Bay and nothing went right. Flyers was a chance of fresh start for him.

You've never played hockey... confidence has NOTHING to do with hustle. Zero, zilch, nada. He couldn't even hang positionally. Stop trying to gloss over lack of will by clumping it up with lack of confidence. They are two seperate things. Every player loses confidence at some point. Good players work through it with hustle and determination. Leino didn't do that.

You can cite other examples of players sucking all day and it won't change the fact that Leino didn't hustle... and even admitted it in the press.

Edited by Broken 16, 18 May 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#137 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

Lack of effort? You mean he didn't want to even try? Hmm... weird that he decided to come all the way through AHL then and not go to KHL to get some money and top6 ice time if he wasn't even gonna try. As I said: when you have lost your confidence even all the little things are going wrong on the ice. It may look like it's being lazy or not trying, but when you're scoring most of the little things go right as well.

There are numerous players like Leino in the NHL who are not very useful and not playing well if they don't produce offensively (like his linemate Danny Briere for example). We have the luxury of having guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk who are great defensively even when they don't produce offense. You can't expect anything like that from a 800k guy though.

you don't like to read do you? You absolutely can and should expect backchecking from an 800k guy. You absolutely can and should expect an 800k guy to battle for the puck. Players find their confidence by moving their feet and creating opportunities. Look at Val Filppula. Ville wasn't willing or able to do that here. Whether it was from laziness or a limp-dicked crisis of confidence, he didn't put in the effort here. If I were to accept your argument I would end up respecting him less because he had to have his confidence handed to him rather than working for it.

works every time

#138 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Okay, so he was confident all the time, he just SUDDENLY didn't wanna work anymore after he got that HUGE 800k per year deal. What a fukin joke.

#139 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

Okay, so he was confident all the time, he just SUDDENLY didn't wanna work anymore after he got that HUGE 800k per year deal. What a fukin joke.

I can't believe you are using his salary as a way to justify his utter uselessness as a Red Wing. I see... so not only demand a one way contract... but also pay me a bunch of money if you want me to score and be a team player. Congrats, you've convinced me. I hate him.

#140 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

I can't believe you are using his salary as a way to justify his utter uselessness as a Red Wing. I see... so not only demand a one way contract... but also pay me a bunch of money if you want me to score and be a team player. Congrats, you've convinced me. I hate him.

Desperation is a stinky cologne...

And Ville Leino REAKED!
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.