• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Yzerman a GM in the NHL soon?

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
Golden GM

Steve Yzerman could be sitting on a golden ticket.

Once the Red Wings VP completes his stint as the executive director of Team Canada next month in Vancouver, there’s a strong belief it won’t be long before he’s sitting in a GM’s chair somewhere in the NHL if Yzerman decides to leave the only organization he’s known.

League sources say a couple of teams could reach out to Yzerman if Canada wins gold in Vancouver. He has been engaged in the process of selecting the team, has worked hard and has said he might be willing to look at becoming an NHL GM.

The question is: Where will there be openings?

If the Flyers don’t make the playoffs, the indications are GM Paul Holmgren could be in trouble. Other GMs under the gun include the Oilers’ Steve Tambellini, the Canadiens’ Bob Gainey and Tampa’s Brian Lawton..

Do you think a guy who lived and breathe detroit for so long could go to any other team as a GM?

I don't know but I doubt it would be a team in the west or a classic team like montreal so perhaps Tampa?

I would love to see Yzerman take over after Ken Holland rather sooner than later, I think Holland has been a GM for a long time now...

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

Yeah it's just some reporter's opinion and some sources in the mix but still it's an interesting discussion I think...

You didn't provide a link so I can only assume Bruce Garrioch wrote this. I'm surprised he isn't calling for Bryan Murray's head and predicting Yzerman being instated as GM of the Senators.

if the Ottawa Sun could be counted on you would have believed Mike Fisher had the inside track on one of the spots on Team Canada. lol.

this is just a speculative piece written, in my opinion. job openings will be always be open for guys like Yzerman, whether he's actively looking at them is another story

Yzerman will continue to be a Red Wing for life. If he ever wants to be a GM, than it will be with Detroit. He'll probably start out as assistant GM, then eventually take over for Kenny. Although I'm guessing it won't happen any time soon. Steve has already made it clear that he enjoys his position with the Red Wings for now.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's all that unfathomable.

Ken Holland is only 55 years old, and as far as I can see, he hasn't been slipping as a GM. Unless he wants to retire early (and for hockey management folks, 60 isn't all that old), the job should be his for as long as he'd like. We've got arguably the best front office in the NHL, with guys like Holland, Nill, and Devellano. That's a pretty solid lineup, and even if Holland does retire, who is to say that one of these other guys that has been around and has the experience doesn't get the job?

Also, being a good player doesn't always equate to being a good coach or general manager (IE Gretzky). I love Yzerman to death, but I'd like to see what he can do before we hand him the job of running one of the most successful franchises in the last twenty years.

Ideally, of course, Yzerman would be slowly groomed for the job of general manager, Holland would step down several years from now, and Yzerman will lead us to X amount of championships as the GM. ;)

It could be a long, long time before Yzerman could become GM in Detroit. I don't see why he would just wait around year after year if he has other offers. Yes it would be slightly weird seeing Stevie working for another organization, but it's just a job.

It could be a long, long time before Yzerman could become GM in Detroit. I don't see why he would just wait around year after year if he has other offers. Yes it would be slightly weird seeing Stevie working for another organization, but it's just a job.

As Long as it's a team in the East, other than Toronto, I can live with it. If he does stay in the West, please nobody in our division, and especially please not chicago.

I know Kenny was asked when he'd retire and his reply was "When Nick Lidstrom does." Or words to that effect. I can't remember the exact interview, but I'm sure someone on this forum knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's all that unfathomable.

Ken Holland is only 55 years old, and as far as I can see, he hasn't been slipping as a GM. Unless he wants to retire early (and for hockey management folks, 60 isn't all that old), the job should be his for as long as he'd like. We've got arguably the best front office in the NHL, with guys like Holland, Nill, and Devellano. That's a pretty solid lineup, and even if Holland does retire, who is to say that one of these other guys that has been around and has the experience doesn't get the job?

Also, being a good player doesn't always equate to being a good coach or general manager (IE Gretzky). I love Yzerman to death, but I'd like to see what he can do before we hand him the job of running one of the most successful franchises in the last twenty years.

Ideally, of course, Yzerman would be slowly groomed for the job of general manager, Holland would step down several years from now, and Yzerman will lead us to X amount of championships as the GM. ;)

no GM's job should be for as long as they like. It should be as long as he keeps producing winning teams. I hate when people say that someone has the right because of their past. It's all about what have you done for me lately? Holland will probably stick around as long as the wings keep putting competitive teams on the ice.

no GM's job should be for as long as they like. It should be as long as he keeps producing winning teams. I hate when people say that someone has the right because of their past. It's all about what have you done for me lately? Holland will probably stick around as long as the wings keep putting competitive teams on the ice.

I agree with you, but the reason I say that the job should be his as long as he wants it is because Holland is a good GM, and there's no reason he would suddenly lose his ability to make good decisions for the benefit of the franchise. I don't see that in the cards, and thus, the job should be his as long as he wants it.

Hasn't Yzerman said that he would take a GM role for another team if the opportunity came up?

Steve Yzerman Q & A From Hockefest 2009:

"I really enjoy being involved in the management of the team," Yzerman said. "I enjoy working with Kenny and Jim (Nill, assistant GM) and Ryan Martin (salary cap) in the front office. I really find it interesting. Being involved with Team Canada is something I really enjoy as well. I feel I'm a relatively young guy in this business and I have a lot to learn.

"To answer your question, I'm very content doing what I'm doing right now and if the right opportunity did come along at some point, I'd probably consider it."

Of course he'll be a GM at some point, and probably not in Detroit. We just have to get over it.

Bowman and Hossa left for Chicago, Todd McLellan left for San Jose. It's just the nature of the Business.

And personally, I'd rather have Holland or Nill as our GM than Yzerman.

And this article is BS anyway. So what if Canada wins Gold, does that make Yzerman some kind of genius?? I don't know, Canada was going to be pretty stacked either way you look at it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Losing Yzerman is no loss. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant a GM position.

This is the most ridiculous comment ever posted on LGW.