• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Yzerman a GM in the NHL soon?

Rate this topic

There's more to being a GM than winning Canadian Olympic Gold. Sure, that's an achievement, but one that really isn't so hard, considering the talent pool in which Stevie Y has. Great GM's like Ken Holland have contacts, and relationships throughout the world of Hockey. Connections, that take years to develop. I think Stevie is realistically 5-7 years away from having the right tools to become a great GM. There's no doubt that Kenny is grooming Stevie for his job, if only for a lack of another heir apparent.

Edited by RedFlag85

I have no doubt that he would take a job elsewhere. The idea that Yzerman is the "heir apparent" gives the short of the stick firmly to Nill, who has certainly paid his dues under Holland and is familiar with the organization at all levels. It would be cool to see Stevie as Detroit's GM but it's hardly a given.

Do you think a guy who lived and breathe detroit for so long could go to any other team as a GM?

I don't know but I doubt it would be a team in the west or a classic team like montreal so perhaps Tampa?

I would love to see Yzerman take over after Ken Holland rather sooner than later, I think Holland has been a GM for a long time now...

I'd hate to see Yzerman anywhere else, but if he wants to be a GM (he's earned it, or is in the process of earning it) he pretty much has to go elsewhere. Holland has been doing amazing and if Yzerman feels he's ready to go out on his own before Holland is ready to step down, he'll go elsewhere.

I guess the next best thing is to hope he doesn't go to a craphole like Tampa, but that he doesn't go to a team that's so good they could beat the Wings for the Cup. ;)

EDIT: And to those of you who doubt Yzerman's skills, I guess he's been heavily involved (not just watching) in major decisions and development since he joined the front office. THat's not to say he'd be an amazing GM, but he COULD be.

Edited by VM1138

It would be alot easier for me to see him run a team in a different league ahl ohl ect if he had to go but why set the bar so low if your dreams can take you so far.

What ever he does Red Wing or not I wish him the best of luck but I'd imagine if he did go to another team one day he would end up back in Detroit I think as long as an illich is an owner there will always be an open door for Yzerman.

It would be sad to see Yzerman leave, but it wouldn't suprise me. Holland is still pretty young, he could GM for a while, though I think he will give up the reigns to take the president's job once Jimmy D retires. Nill has had many oppurtunities to leave for another teaam, but hasn't, so you've got to think he's been promised the GM job.

Yzerman's been a part of the personnel decision-making process since he was a player, and even then for a good while. He's had a lot to do with the guys we've brought in for a long time. It was never discussed while he was playing for rather obvious reasons, but to say he's done nothing? Silliness to the extreme.

I don't doubt that Yzerman would consider going to another team to be a GM, but I still question whether Illitch would let him go so easily. I don't know what that means, but I just tend to think it'd take a whole hell of a lot of "right opportunity" for Steve to leave the Wings. It'll be a sad day if it happens, but I'm not too concerned either way, and definitely am not worrying about it now.

It's always the reports out of Ottawa when we talk about this subject. He's been rumored to be going to Ottawa since he retired and that won't change.