• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

Losing Yzerman is no loss. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant a GM position.

#22 Jaymz99

Jaymz99

Black Ace

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Echolalia @ January 24, 2010 - 03:05PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hasn't Yzerman said that he would take a GM role for another team if the opportunity came up?

Steve Yzerman Q & A From Hockefest 2009:

"I really enjoy being involved in the management of the team," Yzerman said. "I enjoy working with Kenny and Jim (Nill, assistant GM) and Ryan Martin (salary cap) in the front office. I really find it interesting. Being involved with Team Canada is something I really enjoy as well. I feel I'm a relatively young guy in this business and I have a lot to learn.

"To answer your question, I'm very content doing what I'm doing right now and if the right opportunity did come along at some point, I'd probably consider it."

All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. ~Gordie Howe

#23 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

Of course he'll be a GM at some point, and probably not in Detroit. We just have to get over it.

Bowman and Hossa left for Chicago, Todd McLellan left for San Jose. It's just the nature of the Business.

And personally, I'd rather have Holland or Nill as our GM than Yzerman.

And this article is BS anyway. So what if Canada wins Gold, does that make Yzerman some kind of genius?? I don't know, Canada was going to be pretty stacked either way you look at it.

Posted Image

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,660 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

As much as I want Stevie to stay, he has to do what is right for him and his family, and that is a decision only he and his wife can make.

That said, STAY, STEVIE, STAY!

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#25 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Reds4Life @ January 24, 2010 - 05:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Losing Yzerman is no loss. He has done absolutely nothing to warrant a GM position.

This is the most ridiculous comment ever posted on LGW.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#26 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Howard He Do It?! @ January 24, 2010 - 07:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second that. Completely ridiculous.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 24 January 2010 - 07:49 PM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#27 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Howard He Do It?! @ January 24, 2010 - 06:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, you are quite correct.
*this space for rent*

#28 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

There's more to being a GM than winning Canadian Olympic Gold. Sure, that's an achievement, but one that really isn't so hard, considering the talent pool in which Stevie Y has. Great GM's like Ken Holland have contacts, and relationships throughout the world of Hockey. Connections, that take years to develop. I think Stevie is realistically 5-7 years away from having the right tools to become a great GM. There's no doubt that Kenny is grooming Stevie for his job, if only for a lack of another heir apparent.

Edited by RedFlag85, 24 January 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#29 Turkey

Turkey

NI!

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have no doubt that he would take a job elsewhere. The idea that Yzerman is the "heir apparent" gives the short of the stick firmly to Nill, who has certainly paid his dues under Holland and is familiar with the organization at all levels. It would be cool to see Stevie as Detroit's GM but it's hardly a given.
We shall say 'ni' to you again if you do not appease us!

#30 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

Team Canada disagrees with you.
When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--

#31 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (mindfly @ January 24, 2010 - 02:08PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think a guy who lived and breathe detroit for so long could go to any other team as a GM?
I don't know but I doubt it would be a team in the west or a classic team like montreal so perhaps Tampa?

I would love to see Yzerman take over after Ken Holland rather sooner than later, I think Holland has been a GM for a long time now...

I'd hate to see Yzerman anywhere else, but if he wants to be a GM (he's earned it, or is in the process of earning it) he pretty much has to go elsewhere. Holland has been doing amazing and if Yzerman feels he's ready to go out on his own before Holland is ready to step down, he'll go elsewhere.

I guess the next best thing is to hope he doesn't go to a craphole like Tampa, but that he doesn't go to a team that's so good they could beat the Wings for the Cup. wink.gif

EDIT: And to those of you who doubt Yzerman's skills, I guess he's been heavily involved (not just watching) in major decisions and development since he joined the front office. THat's not to say he'd be an amazing GM, but he COULD be.

Edited by VM1138, 24 January 2010 - 10:30 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#32 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

It would be alot easier for me to see him run a team in a different league ahl ohl ect if he had to go but why set the bar so low if your dreams can take you so far.

What ever he does Red Wing or not I wish him the best of luck but I'd imagine if he did go to another team one day he would end up back in Detroit I think as long as an illich is an owner there will always be an open door for Yzerman.

#33 HenryMalredo

HenryMalredo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

It would be sad to see Yzerman leave, but it wouldn't suprise me. Holland is still pretty young, he could GM for a while, though I think he will give up the reigns to take the president's job once Jimmy D retires. Nill has had many oppurtunities to leave for another teaam, but hasn't, so you've got to think he's been promised the GM job.

#34 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

Losing Yzerman is no loss.

Yeah, we should just let Steve f*** off. What the hell has he ever done for us?

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#35 bconnan

bconnan

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Electrophile @ January 25, 2010 - 12:01AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, we should just let Steve f*** off. What the hell has he ever done for us?

Earn nearly $100 million dollars over twenty years playing a child's game?

#36 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:48 AM

Yzerman's been a part of the personnel decision-making process since he was a player, and even then for a good while. He's had a lot to do with the guys we've brought in for a long time. It was never discussed while he was playing for rather obvious reasons, but to say he's done nothing? Silliness to the extreme.

I don't doubt that Yzerman would consider going to another team to be a GM, but I still question whether Illitch would let him go so easily. I don't know what that means, but I just tend to think it'd take a whole hell of a lot of "right opportunity" for Steve to leave the Wings. It'll be a sad day if it happens, but I'm not too concerned either way, and definitely am not worrying about it now.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#37 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:11 AM

It's always the reports out of Ottawa when we talk about this subject. He's been rumored to be going to Ottawa since he retired and that won't change.

Posted Image