• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest scottj

Why so serious.... ?

Rate this topic

Guest scottj

I was wondering why you guys think the Joe is so quiet compared to other arenas...

is it cause we're so used to the wings kicking ass for most of the regular seasons that we just don't get that excited before the playoffs?

does the arena not do enough to get the fans pumped up or involved?

do the fans just pay more attention to what's going on rather than chanting for their team?

or are wings fans just boring n ***?

... also, is there anything we as fans or the arena can do to get the joe pumped up?

I went to the New Years Eve game and it was pretty damn quiet at first. I don't mind... I usually get too involved to listen to more than 2 words or say anything that makes sense when I'm watching the wings. But it would be nice for the wings to know that we're there

I was wondering why you guys think the Joe is so quiet compared to other arenas...

is it cause we're so used to the wings kicking ass for most of the regular seasons that we just don't get that excited before the playoffs?

do the fans just pay more attention to what's going on rather than chanting for their team?

... also, is there anything we as fans or the arena can do to get the joe pumped up?

I went to the New Years Eve game and it was pretty damn quiet at first. I don't mind... I usually get too involved to listen to more than 2 words or say anything that makes sense when I'm watching the wings. But it would be nice for the wings to know that we're there

i'm not sure what sexual orientation has to do with loudness of cheering, but my opinion is that generally wings fans are too spoiled. we aren't really that excited by success: we take it as a given. thus, anything short of success is only seen as failure, whereas success itself is merely acceptable, because it is so expected. if the wings score a late goal to send it into overtime and then end up winning it, wings fans, in general, i think, are now only "satisfied," and not really excited at their team's success. that's my two cents, anyway.

Guest scottj

Hilary-Duff-hilary-duff-58649_800_600.jpg

EEHHH DON'T YOU KNOW CALLING STUFF YOU DON'T LIKE "***" IS WROOOOONNNG?

I'M HILARY DUFFFFFFF

n as for the playoffs thing... so is the joe just getting a vacation this year or somethin?

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I guess you could call it that. Red Wings Nation needs its rest...but seriously, it is like this in every sport. The crowd isn't into the game as much in the regular season. Unless it is a big game, such as whenever we would play SJ or Anaheim, the crowd just is not the same as it is in the playoffs

Guest scottj

yeah but it's not uncommon for visitors to say that the crowd is really quiet in the joe

i've also heard that most of our fans aren't huge dickbags if you're sporting the visiting teams stuff though... which is cool. at least it's not the other way around.

I was also at the New Years Eve game, and as usual it was a great experience. There were familes on both sides of me that were talking about the stats of each Red Wings player along with the Avs, and talking hockey in general while watching the game. The crowd at the Joe, for the most part, is amongs the more hockey savvvy crowds that there is, as compared to crowds in Los Angeles who spend their time texting during the game. (There's people everywhere who do that, but not as widespread in some places.) Also, the cheer on Darren Helm's empty netter was one of the loudest I've heard, and I've been to nearly 50 games at the Joe including playoffs.

The playoffs at the Joe are absolutely unreal in terms of intensity. But regular season games are just as exciting IMO. Maybe I'm just biased because I love the Joe.

Guest scottj

yeah I loved that empty netter... nothin like puttin the game in the bag when you're there. outta nowhere my fist just pumped up and i jumped outta my seat and had a lil roar haha... i couldn't even control myself, i felt like such an idiot haha

question: how long is the waiting list for season tickets? I might as well get on the list now eh?...

Edited by scottj

If anything wouldn't they be louder "Hello, come on guys lets go out there and hit someone"

I guess you could call it that. Red Wings Nation needs its rest...but seriously, it is like this in every sport. The crowd isn't into the game as much in the regular season. Unless it is a big game, such as whenever we would play SJ or Anaheim, the crowd just is not the same as it is in the playoffs

When the crowd perceives emotion on the ice, they feed it back to the players. The Red Wings had the lead early and so the LA game seemed to be in hand and the crowd was quiet (also weird thing with people in the rafters?). Against Chicago, when they came from behind, things were louder. The crowd wants to see a show, and the emotions are higher if it is a close game. I'd still rather the show was 5-1 instead of 1-0.

Scoring goals is the real weakness of the Red Wings right now. When the Wings are up 2-0, they let teams back into it instead of running up the score (Columbus and Anaheim games from November excepted). Lidstrom passed to Bert instead of shooting against LA in the closing minutes when they were down 2-3. It was practically the same setup as his goal against Chicago, but he didn't take it. Boston is the only other team that is in playoff contention and upside-down on the goals-for/goals-against stat.

Going into the last game, even after the loss to the Capitals, I felt good about this team. After the LA game I felt like the Wings were not mentally prepared. The way Meech, Lebda and Ericsson appear on the +/-, we can see that the D still works through breakdowns on a regular basis in their own zone. Stuart plays a goaltender better than he clears screens in front of the goaltender. We are not wearing down their teams as much anymore, and they are wearing ours down. The crowd is naturally quieter (so the Wings can concentrate?) because the letdown was palpable and in-your-face - the Wings were crumbling in the face of adversity instead of rising to meet it. It stands to reason that if the players rise to the occasion on the ice, the crowd will cheer.

Guest R2D2

It's simple. Wings seating , especially in the lower levels, in the 1980s and early 1990s used to be 'true fans'. Now, firms, companies, and organizations with serious mula have bought those seats to impress clients. Those are golf clap fans. Joe Louis is very quiet now, probably top 3 quietest and calmest arenas in the league. Sad. Go to a Canadian hockey game sometime- you won't regret it, that's hockey.

I don't think Wings fans enjoy victories as much as they enjoy avoiding defeat.

The JLA was louder during the Wings playoff runs in the mid 90's, before this team started winning Cups and finishing in first place every year. The fans have just become jaded and bored with successs. It's almost expected now.