• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sherwood40

Injured wings coming back

Rate this topic

Red Wings' Nicklas Kronwall to return on Tuesday; Andreas Lilja says he might be close to returning

By Ansar Khan

January 25, 2010, 12:28PM

DETROIT -- There was all kinds of good injury news coming out of Monday's Detroit Red Wings practice:

-- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall will return to the lineup Tuesday against Phoenix. He has been out since Nov. 21 with a sprained left MCL.

-- Defenseman Andreas Lilja said he has been headache-free for 13 days and that he was told by doctors needs to be symptom-free for 14 days before being cleared. Unless he has a setback in the next day or two, he will meet with team officials this week and could return from a concussion that has kept him out since Feb. 28 of last season.

“My plan from the start was to go 14 days without headaches and I’m hitting 13 today, so we’ll see what happens,'' Lilja said. "I’ll stick to that plan and negotiate after that.’’

By negotiate, he meant discuss with doctors and management when he should be activated.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen. I have to stick to the 14-day plan first,'' Lilja said. “It feels pretty good.’’

He said he doesn’t know when he’ll play.

“It’ll be up to the coach,'' Lilja said. "I feel pretty ready, so we’ll see.’’

-- Right wing Jason Williams said there is a chance he could play Friday against Nashville. He's been out since Nov. 7 with a fractured fibula.

-- Forward Tomas Holmstrom has resumed practicing yet but skated on his own before practice and said he feels better. He continues to target Friday or Sunday at Pittsburgh for his return from a fractured foot sustained on Jan. 6.

-- Forward Johan Franzen will know more about his status after seeing a doctor this week, be he believes he can return for at least a couple of games before the Olympic break (Feb. 15-28).

Pretty great news there ... let's hope they all actually get back in the next week or two.

That said, I can't be the only one interested/concerned to see how a Lilja return would change things up -- that's another chunk of salary that the Wings would have to account for by clearing out a guy or two. Can they take him off long-term IR but sent him to GR for an extended conditioning stint without it counting against the cap? I'm not sure how that works. If they can do that, he'd be a nice addition come playoff time.

Overall great news! Especially for Lils. It feels like the past few days has been an emotional roller coaster when it comes to him, one day we get great news about him only to have it shut down by Kenny Holland and now this. So far, things are looking great, can't wait for the rest of the guys to be back!

I am really glad to hear that and I really hope that Lilja is going to be back soon. I am starting to feel more confident in our chances of making the playoffs especially with all the people coming back.

I posted this in the other thread.

Awesome just awesome!!

I really hope they don't trade Leino. I'd like to keep him around at least till next year.

I really see May being waived or sent down instead of Meech or Lenio like the MLive reports speculates.

the Lilja news makes me giddy...

and the fact Kronwall will be back tomorrow......... oh man...

That's exactly what I was gonna say!

Kronner tomorrow. Franzen before the Olympics maybe. We should be a pretty tough team to play after the break.

Edited by zettie85

Red Wings' Nicklas Kronwall to return on Tuesday; Andreas Lilja says he might be close to returning

By Ansar Khan

January 25, 2010, 12:28PM

DETROIT -- There was all kinds of good injury news coming out of Monday's Detroit Red Wings practice:

-- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall will return to the lineup Tuesday against Phoenix. He has been out since Nov. 21 with a sprained left MCL.

-- Defenseman Andreas Lilja said he has been headache-free for 13 days and that he was told by doctors needs to be symptom-free for 14 days before being cleared. Unless he has a setback in the next day or two, he will meet with team officials this week and could return from a concussion that has kept him out since Feb. 28 of last season.

“My plan from the start was to go 14 days without headaches and I’m hitting 13 today, so we’ll see what happens,'' Lilja said. "I’ll stick to that plan and negotiate after that.’’

By negotiate, he meant discuss with doctors and management when he should be activated.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen. I have to stick to the 14-day plan first,'' Lilja said. “It feels pretty good.’’

He said he doesn’t know when he’ll play.

“It’ll be up to the coach,'' Lilja said. "I feel pretty ready, so we’ll see.’’

-- Right wing Jason Williams said there is a chance he could play Friday against Nashville. He's been out since Nov. 7 with a fractured fibula.

-- Forward Tomas Holmstrom has resumed practicing yet but skated on his own before practice and said he feels better. He continues to target Friday or Sunday at Pittsburgh for his return from a fractured foot sustained on Jan. 6.

-- Forward Johan Franzen will know more about his status after seeing a doctor this week, be he believes he can return for at least a couple of games before the Olympic break (Feb. 15-28).

i must say...after reading this i have a massive chubby!

good news is something we havn't had alot of this year, but at the same time the wings are in 8th with all the injuries.

maybe a top 4 playoff spot is in the works with all the returnees. :thumbup:

Damn, you beat me to it...

lol...finally getting the chance to be optimistic about this season is pretty nice isn't it??

seriously though...how the f*** did our boys roll into 8th place with 20mil in the press box

cheers to them :beerbuddy:

keep that winged wheel rolling, and the fans out of the rafters!

lol...finally getting the chance to be optimistic about this season is pretty nice isn't it??

seriously though...how the f*** did our boys roll into 8th place with 20mil in the press box

cheers to them :beerbuddy:

keep that winged wheel rolling, and the fans out of the rafters!

Character, Resiliency, depth.... describes the wings for the past 15 years. God i love this organzation. :beerbuddy: :champs:

its great that franzen is coming along so well but there is zero point to him playing one or two game before the olympic break

I agree with this. The extra couple of weeks is huge for healing, he can still workout and practice and all that like usual, but I'd feel just a little bit safer with him out of the lineup for those 2 games. I think it depends on how well the Wings can do in this stretch. If they get the wins that they need, I think babs will sit Franzen (also for cap reasons?), but if they're still in this funk and really need the wins than maybe he'll play.

Either way.... this is all great news!

its great that franzen is coming along so well but there is zero point to him playing one or two game before the olympic break

You could probably send him down on a conditioning stint while the Olympics are on. I would rather see that then him come back before the Olympics and then take the break.

I agree with this. The extra couple of weeks is huge for healing, he can still workout and practice and all that like usual, but I'd feel just a little bit safer with him out of the lineup for those 2 games. I think it depends on how well the Wings can do in this stretch. If they get the wins that they need, I think babs will sit Franzen (also for cap reasons?), but if they're still in this funk and really need the wins than maybe he'll play.

The reason he wants to play a couple games before the Olympics is so he can play IN the Olympics.

Knowing babcock and our medical staff, they will more than likely agree with you. Its just smart to give him extra rest. Not an injury you really want to rush back from.

Guest mindfly

Hope williams, lilja and holmstrom will be back for pittsburgh i really want to win that game... like badly.

Edited by mindfly

Hope williams, lilja and holmstrom will be back for pittsburgh i really want to win that game... like badly.

I'm not sure the officiating will be with us during that game, but maybe three guys back will allow us to overcome anything they can throw at us.

Guest mindfly
Hes already been cut, can he be put on the roster that late in the game? I thought they were set baring injuries.

Well we got forsberg selected and we all know how healthy he is :P so there is an outside chance franzen will be on the olympic team he's most likely the guy to select if forsberg can't play.

Edited by mindfly

Well we got forsberg selected and we all know how healthy he is :P so there is an outside chance franzen will be on the olympic team he's most likely the guy to select if forsberg can't play.

Gotchya gotchya, nuff said! lol Still rather see him get the extra rest. I mean there isnt really any point for him to play in the olympics, i mean the best that sweden is ganna do is Silver since USA is a lock for the GOLD!!!!