• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerman191

Courmier suspended for season, playoffs

Rate this topic

http://tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=307618

Pretty much what I figured would happen. The kid just about killed someone and he's going to miss the rest of his junior hockey season and playoffs. After that, he'll probably jump to the NHL or AHL, as the GM of his NHL club (New Jersey Devils) already said he didn't see anything wrong with the hit. Meanwhile, who knows if Tam will ever get to play hockey again.

Guest Lidstromboli
After that, he'll probably jump to the NHL or AHL, as the GM of his NHL club (New Jersey Devils) already said he didn't see anything wrong with the hit.

"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion no," Lamoriello said when asked if he felt [a suspension] was possible."

definitely equates to "there was nothing wrong with the hit"

"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion no," Lamoriello said when asked if he felt [a suspension] was possible."

definitely equates to "there was nothing wrong with the hit"

It basically does. Considering the viciousness of the hit, that Courmier is a repeat offender (and these aren't debatable cheapshots either, they are blatant), and don't forget that there is a sport-wide emphasis on removing hits to the head.... Lamoriello basically gave it a pass when he should have condemned it heavily. Classless... but expected.

And that little punk Courmier will probably be in another league in a few days anyways...

From TSN :

He added on Monday that Cormier would not allowed to play in any leagues under Hockey Canada's jurisdiction, but that he had five days to appeal the suspension if he wished to do so.

Cormier is not allowed to play for the Devils or their AHL affiliate until his QMJHL team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said the organization would respect the QMJHL's ruling.

Lamoriello said the Devils organization does not condone Cormier's actions but also defended the player they picked 54th overall back in 2008.

"This unfortunate incident does not reflect the character of the Patrice Cormier we know," added Lamoriello. "We trust that Patrice will have learned a valuable lesson that will serve him well when he returns to hockey as a valued player in our organization."

Didn't Lamoriello watch the U20 WJHC?

After what he did in the preliminary games, Hockey Canada should have sat Cormier down and had a little chat with him regarding his play; that may have prevented this from happening. Maybe he was taking his silver-medal frustrations out in a Q-game, not unlike Phaneuf after he wasn't chosen for Team Canada.

With a little more work, Cormier could become "the next Steve Downie".

He got off pretty easy I say. Considering he is a repeat I thought that he would get atleast one year off. I have often thought that some of these suspensions should include some community service as well. It just might deflate some of these kids massive heads a bit. Say the rest of the season and playoffs plus 500 hrs of service to be completed before he comes back? Might be just me but I hate this kind of s*** in hockey.

Should have been for far longer than that, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. Not that I'd ever wish physical harm on anyone, but maybe if he suffered from a hit like the one he levied on Mikael Tam, he might be less inclined to do it to someone else. Karma running over his dogma, if you will.

To be fair, this hit is only drawing more attention than 102912190411 other head hits of the same style and dirtiness because the player getting hit happened to get injured more than usual. That's not to say it's not a bad thing, but it's not like this player has done some wretched thing that only happens once every blue moon. It's a very usual head hit, for how often they occur, anyhow. That said, given both the severity of the injury and the stupidity of head hits, a message needs to be sent -- rest of the season and playoffs seems appropriate. Criminal charges.. well, that's up for legal people to figure out. Honestly, though, I don't have an issue with this guy having a hockey career beyond this year, provided he doesn't do that s*** again. I also hope that other leagues and particularly the NHL tighten down on headshots--there's way too many of them that go too unpunished, and it was only a matter of time before this occured. Courmier just happens to be the unlucky bastard who hit the wrong noggin.

Edit: To a suggestion above, I think community service is a great idea.

Edited by Datsyerberger

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=514972

That article sort of explains Lou's feelings a bit better. His comment was taken out of context... he was asked if there would be any CRIMINAL CHARGES (not asked about suspension) to which he stated 'No'. Apparently he never said the hit did not warrant suspension.

If that's the case, then I guess my respect level for him rose back to where it was before...which wasn't that much to begin with. I still don't like the move he made back in 2007(?), firing the Devils coach a few games before the playoffs so that he could coach, despite the team not struggling.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=514972

That article sort of explains Lou's feelings a bit better. His comment was taken out of context... he was asked if there would be any CRIMINAL CHARGES (not asked about suspension) to which he stated 'No'. Apparently he never said the hit did not warrant suspension.

Sounds like back pedaling to me. I really don't think his quotes would be taken THAT out of context to where every media outlet is reporting that he said "No" to whether or not a suspension was warranted. One such article

From Toronto Star :

Patrice Cormier will not accept his suspension by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League after all.

The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies said Tuesday they will appeal the suspension handed Cormier for his hit to the head of Quebec Remparts defenceman Mikael Tam.

Coach and general manager Andre Tourigny said on a conference call that the suspension for the rest of the season and the playoffs was "excessive."

Later, Cormier read a short statement over the telephone. It said:

"I respect the decision of the QMJHL even if I find it too severe. I deeply regret the circumstances surrounding this event and I wish Mikael Tam a speedy and full recovery. Thanks for your attention."

Sounds like he's ready for the NHL.

Sounds like back pedaling to me. I really don't think his quotes would be taken THAT out of context to where every media outlet is reporting that he said "No" to whether or not a suspension was warranted. One such article

Good call.

What, however, was Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello thinking when, one day after the incident, he told the Star-Ledger's Rich Chere he dismissed the idea that Cormier merited a a season-long suspension.

"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion, no," Lamoriello said.

Lamoriello added that he did not foresee legal action.

Why would he "add" that if he was talking about legal action in the first place? I still think Lou's backpedaling because he's just that kind of guy.