• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Octopus's Garden

Time for Osgood

Rate this topic

I can't believe how quickly everybody is jumping off the Howard bandwagon. Even with "fair" outings the last few games, he still has a .924 save percentage. It's not like he's letting in terrible goals.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. This is the LGW board.

The Red Wings aren't winning with Jimmy Howard. Mike Babcock himself said Howard was starting because the team needed points.

It's time for Ozzie to get his shot. Howard had a nice run.

I'm actually all for throwing in Osgood after last night. Howard has played very well, especially for a rookie goaltender, but this team needs something to shake it up. Perhaps putting Osgood between the pipes again will spark the team somehow. Again, not a knock on Howard at all, but the Red Wings are looking stale right now.

As a lifetime Ozzie fan, I say put him in there. The game against Washington was tough but what could we expect? He hadn't played in a month, Babs was throwing him to the dogs for his comments to the press.

Jimmy has been about as solid as anyone could ask for as a rookie, but I don't see him in the playoffs yet. Ozzie always seems to kick it up a notch in the playoffs, but he has to have a good strong of games played (at least every other night) to expect that performance again.

No, Howard was not the only Wing who wasn't perfect. But he was the primary, if not the SOLE reason the Wings went from a 4-3 win to a 5-4 OT loss.

Do you know why?

The Coyotes' fourth and tying goal with 23 seconds left was a pass from Shane Doan behind the net to Ed Jovanovski, who was standing at the top of the crease. Howard didn't see the pass, and was still looking behind the net while Jovanovski slammed the puck through his gaping five hole.

Ok, so how is the OT winner Howard's fault?

The Coyotes entered the zone, and the puck carrier was driven to the boards. He had been able to center the puck to a teammate, who took a shot from the high slot. Howard simply kicked the rebound away to the corner, where only Coyote captain Shane Doan could get it. The play continued with Doan passing to Lombardi, who would circle back around and then, pass to Doan who had moved towards then net. Doan returned the puck to Lombardi as he continued to cross in front, and Lombardi tapped the puck to Doan as he approached the crease. Howard, rather than staying on his feet and following the puck carrier across the crease or poke-checking the puck away from Doan, simply dropped to the ice as Doan crossed in front of him.

Howard has played well this season, but he has been as responsible as anyone and moreso than most for the recent collapses.

It's time for Babcock to give Ozzie some real game time, and a chance to prove that he's still got it.

No, Howard was not the only Wing who wasn't perfect. But he was the primary, if not the SOLE reason the Wings went from a 4-3 win to a 5-4 OT loss.

Do you know why?

The Coyotes' fourth and tying goal with 23 seconds left was a pass from Shane Doan behind the net to Ed Jovanovski, who was standing at the top of the crease. Howard didn't see the pass, and was still looking behind the net while Jovanovski slammed the puck through his gaping five hole.

Ok, so how is the OT winner Howard's fault?

The Coyotes entered the zone, and the puck carrier was driven to the boards. He had been able to center the puck to a teammate, who took a shot from the high slot. Howard simply kicked the rebound away to the corner, where only Coyote captain Shane Doan could get it. The play continued with Doan passing to Lombardi, who would circle back around and then, pass to Doan who had moved towards then net. Doan returned the puck to Lombardi as he continued to cross in front, and Lombardi tapped the puck to Doan as he approached the crease. Howard, rather than staying on his feet and following the puck carrier across the crease or poke-checking the puck away from Doan, simply dropped to the ice as Doan crossed in front of him.

Howard has played well this season, but he has been as responsible as anyone and moreso than most for the recent collapses.

It's time for Babcock to give Ozzie some real game time, and a chance to prove that he's still got it.

I'm not so sure he does though...

Well, there's pro-osgood, pro-howard, and pro-changers in here...

I'm on the pro-change side - Howard has allowed 3 (or 4 in the last one) goals in his last 4 starts. Truth is, he's no longer the "hot goaltender" that he was earlier, so getting back to regular rotation is far more intelligent an idea. If Osgood gets hot and starts winning games 2-1 or 1-0 then no doubt keep him in the way Howie stuck around.

If Babcock can pull it off - find a way to get both goalies sharp at the same time, watch the Wings shoot up the standings. If not, then I'll settle for the battle to get in.

Osgood has himself played out of the roster. yeah, sometimes vets can afford slow starts but in this time Osgood miscalculated and it is too late for him. Team simply cant afford experiments anymore.

Babcock said it best.

"When your team plays the way it did last nmight you cannot evaluate the goaltender. Its not fair to evaluate the goaltender."

I love how when Ozzie gives up 5 goals its back to Grand Rapids to recall a goalie struggling even more than he is in Larsson.

But When Howard gave up 5 goals the night before, it was oh the defense was bad...

Why does this site always pick one goalie to back and ride the other one into the ground?

Babcock said it best.

"When your team plays the way it did last nmight you cannot evaluate the goaltender. Its not fair to evaluate the goaltender."

I love how when Ozzie gives up 5 goals its back to Grand Rapids to recall a goalie struggling even more than he is in Larsson.

But When Howard gave up 5 goals the night before, it was oh the defense was bad...

Why does this site always pick one goalie to back and ride the other one into the ground?

:thumbup: I wonder who heard Mickey Redmon last night after the game, during the post game where he said (something like) " If your gonna look to Osgood, You better look somewhere else, To many odd man rushes and too many cross ice passes are not the goalies fault" ( not a exact quote)

I dont think we have a #1 goalie.

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Babcock said it best.

Because Red Wings fans, generally speaking, are a bunch of morons when it comes to goaltending talk. No goalie could save the Red Wings these past few gams with how bad the defense has been. Not Osgood, not Howard, not a brick wall on the net. Osgood and/or Howard have to play a bit better latley and it'd be nice if they could've stolen a game, but they are getting hung out to dry lately.

Because Red Wings fans, generally speaking, are a bunch of morons when it comes to goaltending talk. No goalie could save the Red Wings these past few gams with how bad the defense has been. Not Osgood, not Howard, not a brick wall on the net. Osgood and/or Howard have to play a bit better latley and it'd be nice if they could've stolen a game, but they are getting hung out to dry lately.

I agree 100%. Things were supposed to get better with players coming back, not worse. Maybe Howard hasn't been as good as he was earlier, and Osgood certainly isn't showing any reason for the team to have confidence in him. But where did the defense go? I have no idea what is going on with this team. They seem to try and coast through third periods except last night where they clearly didn't show up at all. I don't think it's fair to blame the goalies, but I also am not getting a good feeling about Osgood.

:thumbup: I wonder who heard Mickey Redmon last night after the game, during the post game where he said (something like) " If your gonna look to Osgood, You better look somewhere else, To many odd man rushes and too many cross ice passes are not the goalies fault" ( not a exact quote)

I dont think we have a #1 goalie.

Yes, cross-ice passes aren't Ozzie's fault, but a cross-crease pass that's obvious should at least be tipped by his stick if he's not going to get across in anywhere near enough time to stop it.

Ozzie was slow last night. That's the bottom line. Howard is fast, and really only has problems with rebound control (which is getting better). Bottom line, Howard is better in the net than Ozzie.

It's neither of their fault that the team in front of them played poorly, but you can still evaluate the saves Ozzie is making.

trade for halak is the best option, then we have two younger goaltenders with good potential, neither can claim they are "more experienced or battle hardened" than the other, and we put them in every other night. ozzie is riding his "amazing playoff performances" too much, hes gotta show up sometimes or not at all.