• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Jamal Mayers has permission from Toronto to seek trade

Rate this topic

Just throwing it out there :cool:

Per TSN:

Rugged Maple Leafs forward Jamal Mayers believes he has at least a few good years left him in, but doesn't see Toronto in his future.

Leafs general manager Brian Burke granted Mayers agent, Pat Brisson, permission to speak to teams in an effort to generate trade interest.

Sources say the Maple Leafs have also made it clear to all NHL teams Mayers is available.

If we could throw Lebda their way for Mayers then I'd be game...Mayers/Maltby/May for the 4th line would be great for the playoffs :lookaround:

EDIT - Even better would be to throw Leino in for Mayers; would offset the cap space.

No it wouldn't.

And I would never give up Leino for Mayers.

If we could throw Lebda their way for Mayers then I'd be game...Mayers/Maltby/May for the 4th line would be great for the playoffs :lookaround:

EDIT - Even better would be to throw Leino in for Mayers; would offset the cap space.

I wonder if it is the best idea to trade Lebda away at this point... the way Ericsson has been playing I wouldnt be surprised if the 3rd D pairing was Lebda-Lilja (helped us win the cup in 08) when Lilja returns... Ericsson has been more of a liability than Lebda or Meech IMO, although they are all liabilities (judging by their play recently).

This guy sucks. He is a waste of space in Toronto and he would be a waste of space here. I hate Lebda with a passion but I would not trade him for Mayers. Mayers brings physicality to the table but otherwise, he is useless. Dallas Drake right now, is probably better than Mayers.

Guest R2D2
And I would never give up Leino for Mayers.

Is this a joke? Mayer's jockstrap has more value than Leino on the ice.

Guest R2D2
There is no doubt Leino doesn't have much confidence and hasn't looked too good, but he has looked better lately and still has a lot of potential. I just don't think Mayers would make enough of a contribution to the team this year to warrant letting him go.

Leino's only contribution has been tipping the waiter from the pressbox 20% for bring him his Sprite and Milkshakes.

I wouldn't want Mayers. He's not the same player who played for St. Louis anymore. He never did anything in Toronto.

He's overpriced for what he is - a 4th liner with some grit...

I'd rather keep the roster spot for May at 500k if it were between the two of them...

Edited by stevkrause

There is no doubt Leino doesn't have much confidence and hasn't looked too good, but he has looked better lately and still has a lot of potential. I just don't think Mayers would make enough of a contribution to the team this year to warrant letting him go.

I agree with you, plus the only thing we don't need right now is a bottom 6 forward. We already will need to shed a couple of those in the next week or so.*

*Please hockey gods no more injuries PLEASE

He's overpriced for what he is - a 4th liner with some grit...

I'd rather keep the roster spot for May at 500k if it were between the two of them...

He's 35 with no skill and no desire a lot of nights, and our third/fourth line is already getting up there in age. He'd make Maltby look like Marleau.

I'd take Ponikarovsky at a $2.1 million hit for the rest of the season if we're still injured, can't find a cheaper winger and they're willing to take a Lebda/Meech-type scrap heap D man and a second round pick.

mayers would add nothing to this team. regardless of whether he is more valuable than leino, neither of them would be playing once the team gets healthy. his salary is awful for what he brings. it makes zero sense.

well, I think if we traded for anything it should be a third line center. so Helm can play with Draper and eaves.

That is a possibility, but Miller and Williams can both play center, plus as much as I would like Filpulla on the second line I expect Babcock will split Zetterberg and Datsyuk when Franzen comes back and put Filpulla back on the third line.

I respectfully disagree.

Seeing that we're on the bottom in goal scoring (and lets not forget how hard of a time our forwards had in the Finals against big Dmen) - a guy like Mayers who doesn't mind working in the trenches, and crashing the net can be a great benefit if we were to make the playoffs.

we have enough guys who work in the trenches. the wings spend more time cycling the puck this year then they have in a long time. problem is...its hard to score from along the boards.

Yes it is tuff to score from the boards - it's also tuff to score when we don't have guys whom are capable of crashing the net/getting the goalie off his game/getting in the opposing Dmen's face.

There have been numerous rebounds given up by the opposing netminder - yet no Red Wing nearby to slam dunk a half empty net...A guy like Mayers has just enough skill, and large enough balls to play the role needed for the playoffs on the 4th line (and in a pinch the 3rd line).

With our cap issues, the fact we have enough older players, and we'd have to give up draft picks or a prospect for him, Id pass and keep our young guys for the future.

If we're trading anyone for anything, it's gotta be a scorer... not another grinder.

I don't think Mayers is capable of putting up his old numbers.

He'd probably play, what? third line, with Flip and Miller??

Who knows.

I know he's too expensive, AND he wants to stay in Toronto... but Alexei Ponikarovsky would be a nice addition.

18 Goals 17 Assists :thumbup::thumbdown: Cap Hit: $2,105,000