• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

1/27 GDT: Red Wings 2 at Wild 5

Rate this topic

His job is to be a back-up. There are back-ups all over the league that have to come in and play rusty. No excuse for Osgood.

No, that is absolutely not true. Osgood's job is to be the starter, and he will be the starter down the stretch. Make no mistake of that. And besides that, back-ups play more than Osgood has! But there's a big difference between back-ups and starters. Osgood has been in more of a back-up role this season obviously, but he's a starter and starter's rely on being in a groove and playing with some semblance of consistency. It's the way they're wired. It's why some guys excel in a back-up role and flounder in starting roles. It's a very different mentality and goalie is a position that's almost more mental than it is physical.

Gametime...

Question: Is there a difference between how ozzie played last regular season vs. this regular season?

This season: 2.83GGA .896SV% GP 20 7-7-4

Last season: 3.09GGA .887SV% GP 46 26-9-8

I would say we had way more offense to win those games last year. We had virtually no injuries all year. Ozzie was arguably worse last year. His little, scrawny ass won us a cup on 2008, and almost in 2009.

I am not trying to be an Ozzie slappy, but the stats tell the tale.

No, they don't. He's playing at the same level he did last regular season. He doesn't make big saves and he gives up a weak goal every game. 2.83 and .896 is horrible, just like 3.09 and .887 is horrible. He doesn't get a pass because it looks like his stats are less bad than last year. He won't be able to turn on his playoff switch forever, and there's no way of knowing it will automatically happen this year. If Howard is still miles ahead of Osgood come playoff time, Howard better be in net.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

"The Wing's do not want to go down by 2 goals"

Oh Mickey, your astute observations astound me.

Osgood hasn't b een playing bad, but for some reason these type of goals are getting past him but not Howard. Bizarre.

I agree though, I think he should be given the next start, just to see if he can get in a rhythm.

What a brutal game so far. The only good thing is that Datsyuk and Lidstrom are on freaking fire! (Finally!)

Sarcasm?

No, they don't. He's playing at the same level he did last regular season. He doesn't make big saves and he gives up a weak goal every game. 2.83 and .896 is horrible, just like 3.09 and .887 is horrible. He doesn't get a pass because it looks like his stats are less bad than last year. He won't be able to turn on his playoff switch forever, and there's no way of knowing it will automatically happen this year. If Howard is still miles ahead of Osgood come playoff time, Howard better be in net.

I dont' disagree with you, but ozzie turned it on in both post seasons the past 2 years. I believe Ozzie will start regardless. If he has a bad game, he will get yanked because they won't be able to afford a bad game from Ozzie. So I disagree with you on your last point.

I don't think he should get a pass in the regular season either, but people are crucifying ozzie just like they did last year, but yet he stood on his head a lot in the playoffs for us. That's all I'm saying.

I understand and partially agree with both sides of the arguments about our goaltenders.

Our problem is they DO NOT make the huge/clutch saves.....ever. Not even ones they should have no chance of saving (e.g. lucky flailing saves). This does 2 things, it obviously makes us have to score more goals, and it demoralizes our team, seemingly ruining our offense.

And it costs us every time.

Osgood's job is to stop the puck.

Anyways good first shift by the first line.

I have no bias towards Osgood or Howard as people or players and I happen to like them both a lot. I've defended both and I've been critical of both and I've got no problem calling either out or anybody for that matter when they're slacking. That said, I don't think you can get on Osgood for any of those goals. Only thing that stops those goals for any goalies is pure luck; there was nothing soft about them.