• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pat

Lebda Scratched; Injury Updates

Rate this topic

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen saw team doctors on Tuesday and was told his surgically repaired knee is fine and he can play when he's ready. Franzen, who still needs to improve his conditioning level, estimated he's about two weeks away.

"I'm good to go when I feel ready,'' Franzen said. "Maybe a couple more weeks. (The knee) doesn't hurt.''

He said he needs to strengthen his skating muscles.

"I haven't used them in 3 1/2 months,'' said Franzen, who only began skating in earnest last week. "One practice I skated hard, then I was sore the rest of the week.''

He still is hoping to return before the Olympic break (Feb. 15-28), but if he can only play a couple of games before the break, he said he would consider the advantages of resting it an additional two weeks before returning.

"It's going to take its time,'' Franzen said. "The way I feel now after one hard practice, I need two rest days to get back. I got to improve that.''

Other noteworthy items:

-- Tomas Holmstrom got in his first real good skate today at the Xcel Energy Center -- he was out there for about an hour -- since he broke his foot on Jan. 6. He said it's doubtful that he'll return Friday against Nashville, but Sunday at Pittsburgh is a distinct possibility.

-- Jason Williams (fractured fibula on Nov. 7) said he is ready and can play Friday, as long he gets the OK.

-- Andreas Lilja (concussion) said he hopes to have a meeting, possibly on Thursday, with doctors, general manager Ken Holland and his agent to determine when he can be cleared to play and what's the next step to take.

-- Chris Osgood will start in goal tonight against the Minnesota Wild, coach Mike Babcock said after the morning skate.

The only other lineup change sees Derek Meech replacing Brett Lebda. Babcock contemplated resting Niklas Kronwall, who returned to action Tuesday after missing nearly 10 weeks with a sprained knee, but they decided he was good to go.

"That was a decision we didn't make until this morning when the trainers talked to him,'' Babcock said. "He didn't have heavy minutes (Tuesday). We didn't play a lot of time in our zone last night grinding, so he's going.''

Here are the expected lines and defense pairings:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Bertuzzi-Filppula-Miller

Draper-Helm-Eaves

May-Abdelkader-Maltby

Leino (scratched)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Meech-Stuart

Kronwall-Ericsson

Osgood (starting)

Howard

there's nothing about this report that doesn't make me happy!

ESPECIALLY that Lebda is OUT

Good stuff all around. :thumbup: It's weird getting all these good news all of a sudden. :D

I know, I'm still VERY cautiously optimistic...

Edited by stevkrause

i cant believe im saying this......it should be ericcson scratched. he is having a HORRIBLE year, and yes i know this is his first real season. He looks completely lost/in over his head. He could have used another year in GR.

While he certainly hasn't played good he brings something to the defense that we absolutely can not do without. Size and strength are the main reasons he's in the lineup and we can't take that out of the line up, at least willingly. Give him some time, he's made some major mistakes, but so has a lot of other players, and we will need him.

While he certainly hasn't played good he brings something to the defense that we absolutely can not do without. Size and strength are the main reasons he's in the lineup and we can't take that out of the line up, at least willingly. Give him some time, he's made some major mistakes, but so has a lot of other players, and we will need him.

He has made no more mistakes than Lebda, probably less - the difference is, he hasn't been in the league for 6 years - I can deal with growing pains from a rookie who is still growing and hasn't peaked...

Put him with a more solid D partner and you will see a difference - just watch tonight as he's out there and who he's with and how he looks... pair him with Meech or Lebda and yea, he's going to suffer, when he's on the ice with Lids or Kronwall... he will look right in place with where he belongs...

it would have been completly idiotic to do but it would have been interesting to see him play forward(his original position in europe) when we super decimated earlier this season ala meech.

now if we could just scratch Meech and Big E for maybe actual pylons we will be on to something

Why don't you elaborate on some #6 and #7 Defensemen that you consider so superior to those two.

Jesus.....we're talking about the bottom Defensemen on a team in the Salary Cap era! What do you realistically expect out of them?

Why don't you elaborate on some #6 and #7 Defensemen that you consider so superior to those two.

Jesus.....we're talking about the bottom Defensemen on a team in the Salary Cap era! What do you realistically expect out of them?

that post completely ignored Ericsson's potential

elaborate

Lebda met some of my friends... lady friends in Royal Oak, and he keeps posting useless nonsense on their facebook.

that is all. i guess its not really harassment, but i feel like maybe he should be on "defensive coverage" websites.

tony