• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Gnredwing

Gnredwing

Biggest Wing Nut in NY

• Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

If Detroit wants to make the playoffs I hope Osgood doesnt start another game this year. Howard is in the top 5 in goals against and has been great all year. Having Osgood in goal is like putting 4 goals to the other team before the puck drops.
Howard is the Wings only hope to actually make the playoffs and go anywhere once there in, sorry Ozzy but your done!

#2 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

That is exactly what I have been screaming.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#3 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

What other choice do you have really?

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

Ozzie has sucked, but Babcock dropped the ball by sitting him for an entire month.

Now Ozzie is out of rhythm and he sucks

Babcock needs to be held accountable for the whole goaltending fiasco this season. A poor bit of coaching on his part.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ozzie has sucked, but Babcock dropped the ball by sitting him for an entire month.

Now Ozzie is out of rhythm and he sucks

Babcock needs to be held accountable for the whole goaltending fiasco this season. A poor bit of coaching on his part.

Osgood's been "out of rhythm" for two seasons now.

It's not Babcock.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#6 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ January 27, 2010 - 09:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not Babcock.

Amen.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

2011 playoff pick game

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ January 27, 2010 - 09:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not Babcock.

Sitting your starting goalie for an entire month and then expecting him to play great all of a sudden is bad coaching.

Yeah, Ozzie has sucked, but Babcock hasn't been much better.

#8 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 27, 2010 - 09:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sitting your starting goalie for an entire month and then expecting him to play great all of a sudden is bad coaching.

Osgood isn't the starter anymore, I know alot of you want him to be but he just doesn't have it anymore end of discussion.

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

2011 playoff pick game

#9 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He's not expecting him to play great. He's expecting him to play well enough to win. He hasn't.

Edit: Why keep starting him? He hasn't earned his starts.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Neither goalie can help us right now. We've only won like 2 of our last 7 games or so. Howard played most of those games.

This team just plain SUCKS.

#11 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

I don't think it matters. Howard isn't winning us games, Osgood isn't winning us games. The TEAM is playing badly. If you're going to go with Howard for the rest of the season, might as well trade Osgood. Osgood went from the Jennings winner to one of the worst goalies (statistically) in the past two seasons. He isn't going to be any better next season. They can surely get a good goalie in the off-season, throw 2-3 million at a guy, keep Howard as a co-starter.

Either you rotate the goalies, or you trade Osgood. I think it's utterly ridiculous to keep Osgood around just for the play-offs. Osgood won't play well next season, he's proven that. Get rid of him or give him 10-15 games down the next 30 game stretch. If he plays badly, Osgood has dug his own grave to retirement.

If Osgood isn't playing a significant number of games this season, why keep him around at all?

#12 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

Howard gave up 5 goals last night too and Osgood faced far more offensive chances tonight than Howard last night. Not saying anyone should be happy about Osgood tonight as he certainly didn't help us win, but this loss was not on him at all. No goalie is going to win this game for us when the team plays as bad as they did.

-Elliot

#13 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

Even Babcock doesn't seem too down on Osgood, noting that a goalie has no chance on some of those goals.

-Elliot

#14 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

Just admit it. We need Kovalchuck.

Posted Image

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

Is Giguere an option for this team?

#16 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

I agree. Osgood has no rhythm.

But anyone who thinks its purely "Osgood sucks forever" and has nothing to do with sitting a professional goaltender for the past two months is a bit delusional. Osgood played like s*** tonite, but how great were the other players on the ice? I don't think Osgood is the guy anymore, but that is entirely Babcock's fault. Explaining it away as two terrible seasons when it was one bad season and one aborted season is silly. Look at the starts Osgood has gotten since the end of November, all of them were the second of back-to-backs with a team that hasn't played well, period, tired from the night before. How did Howard do in all of the first nights of the back-to-backs, the real night that HAS to be won? Losses.

Osgood is no longer "the guy", but that is because of Babcock entirely. Who was the last 36yo goaltender to sit a month at a pop and come in and play stellar for a team who can't win with great goaltending, let alone despite it? Anyone?

#17 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Howard has lost 4 of his last 5 if I'm not mistaken.

How is Detroit better off with Howard in net if they can't win with him in net? Riddle me that please.

Posted Image

#18 rage

rage

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howard gave up 5 goals last night too and Osgood faced far more offensive chances tonight than Howard last night. Not saying anyone should be happy about Osgood tonight as he certainly didn't help us win, but this loss was not on him at all. No goalie is going to win this game for us when the team plays as bad as they did.

Good point.

For me anyway, if the other team scores 2 goals I get real worried and wonder if we can even get a point.

Posted Image

#19 rage

rage

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Giguere an option for this team?

No.

His cap hit is way too large, I think close to what Kovalchuck makes. Plus he is playing for a Western Conference foe.

Posted Image

#20 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither goalie can help us right now. We've only won like 2 of our last 7 games or so. Howard played most of those games.

This team just plain SUCKS.

Yep.

This is kinda what I feared as well. I really liked the way this team was looking for awhile when more guys were injured! We got a system going and seemed to have a more complete team with better lines and pairings than we've had recently. I just think there's a real lack of balance on this team in a lot of ways that isn't helping us at all as we get regulars back that are used to playing a certain way. Remember October when we were healthy and we had ABSOLUTELY NO CHEMISTRY AT ALL!?!?!?!?

That scares me more than missing the playoffs. Still not worried down the stretch about that, but as far as chemistry and gelling goes, I've got some worries. Our 2nd line is worthless and some and our 4th line has no bite at all. Our defense, I don't know. So strong for awhile, looking lost like mofo's latley...

-Elliot