• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

Btw I'm not here to say that Howard has been playing bad.

I'm here to say that the defense needs to focus because this is getting ridiculous. The offense needs to be consistent. The coaching needs to COACH.

The goaltending is but a minor blip in this entire big clusterf*** of bad.

Posted Image

#22 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

This whole "he sat for awhile" thing is a f***in bulls*** excuse. Save it. The man has played goalie, according to his smart ass remarks, his whole life. If he can't come off the bench and play well, that's his problem.

When he makes a nice save? It's "ZOMG OZZIE RULES-SEE! WE WERE RIGHT ABOUT HIM!"

When he flops? It's "well he can't play well without playing time!"

Well guess what? The reality of it is, he had his chance earlier, with consistent playing time and sucked then. It comes down to having to make one of these two choices...

1) Try our best to mix in a goalie who hasn't earned a regular season start in two f***in years. While we're doing this, we'll be in 11th place.

2) Play the goalie who is giving us a chance to win every night.

Ozzie apologists need to get their goddamn priorities straight. You're clearly more of a fan of Osgood than the team, or you'd see this glaringly obvious fact in all it's light.

Ozzie blew the game tonight. You can't blame the defense for every single goal and at some point, your starter has to make some game changing saves in moments where it changes momentum-Ozzie does NOT do that, Howard does. I'm not a Howard fan, I'm just a fan of whoever the f*** plays better.

I personally hope we've seen Osgood's last game in Detroit. I can't take his s*** anymore. He's never confident, he's always wobbly and looks like he's flailing his limbs hoping to God the puck hits him. He doesn't try to make the save anymore, he's not good enough. He just tries to flail and f***s up. C'mon, you can't tell me you don't get nervous when he's in there. You do. His idea of making a save, is butterfly super quick, flail either arm in the vague direction the puck went, hope it hits you and get up super qiuck, only to have to butterfly again just as fast. He doesn't react to the shot anymore.

He's 37 years old. One day, he won't flick this magical switch in the playoffs (which sorry, only happened twice and in the big picture, that's a small sample size) and we need to cut him loose before he costs us more games. We can blame our D until we're blue in the face but it's quite the coincidence that our D is somehow always the reason Howard does well and always the reason Osgood doesn't.

We were in this game and too often we judge the whole thing by the end of it, when bad looks worse. We were in this. We almost had it tied. That's the story of Ozzie-we're in games and he just blows it. We weren't good in the end but he wasn't very good minus a couple of saves that looked like, sorry to say, pure flukes anyway.

I supported Ozzie when he didn't get picked for Canada in the beginning of the year. I said he should've gotten MVP last season. I defend him against people who say his career has been overrated. But right now, he's not earned an ounce of sympathy from me.

Edited by zackmorris, 27 January 2010 - 10:57 PM.

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

We need to deal Osgood and Ericsson for Marty Turco.

That man loves playing at the JLA. laugh.gif
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (b.shanafan14 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. Osgood has no rhythm.

But anyone who thinks its purely "Osgood sucks forever" and has nothing to do with sitting a professional goaltender for the past two months is a bit delusional. Osgood played like s*** tonite, but how great were the other players on the ice? I don't think Osgood is the guy anymore, but that is entirely Babcock's fault. Explaining it away as two terrible seasons when it was one bad season and one aborted season is silly. Look at the starts Osgood has gotten since the end of November, all of them were the second of back-to-backs with a team that hasn't played well, period, tired from the night before. How did Howard do in all of the first nights of the back-to-backs, the real night that HAS to be won? Losses.

Osgood is no longer "the guy", but that is because of Babcock entirely. Who was the last 36yo goaltender to sit a month at a pop and come in and play stellar for a team who can't win with great goaltending, let alone despite it? Anyone?

I've been saying it since December. Babcock's goalie management is s***ty and it has been for as long as he's been here. I don't know what he's thinking, but he gets it wrong a lot. He's been letting Osgood rot on the bench and giving him a single start here and there. I don't care if Osgood even played great in some of these games, it means nothing if he doesn't get more games so he can actually get a RHYTHM going. He's had absolutely no opportunity to do that since early November.

And Nick Lidstrom: "I don't think we helped Osgood out tonight at all."
-Elliot...does not panic.

#25 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (zackmorris @ January 27, 2010 - 10:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This whole "he sat for awhile" thing is a f***in bulls*** excuse. Save it. The man has played goalie, according to his smart ass remarks, his whole life. If he can't come off the bench and play well, that's his problem.

When he makes a nice save? It's "ZOMG OZZIE RULES-SEE! WE WERE RIGHT ABOUT HIM!"

Well guess what? The reality of it is, he had his chance earlier, with consistent playing time and sucked then. It comes down to having to make one of these two choices...

1) Try our best to mix in a goalie who hasn't earned a regular season start in two f***in years. While we're doing this, we'll be in 11th place.

Ozzie apologists need to get their goddamn priorities straight. You're clearly more of a fan of Osgood than the team, or you'd see this glaringly obvious fact in all it's light.

Ozzie blew the game tonight. You can't blame the defense for every single goal and at some point, your starter has to make some game changing saves in moments where it changes momentum-Ozzie does NOT do that, Howard does. I'm not a Howard fan, I'm just a fan of whoever the f*** plays better.

I personally hope we've seen Osgood's last game in Detroit. I can't take his s*** anymore. He's never confident, he's always wobbly and looks like he's flailing his limbs hoping to God the puck hits him. He doesn't try to make the save anymore, he's not good enough. He just tries to flail and f***s up. C'mon, you can't tell me you don't get nervous when he's in there. You do. His idea of making a save, is butterfly super quick, flail either arm in the vague direction the puck went, hope it hits you and get up super qiuck, only to have to butterfly again just as fast. He doesn't react to the shot anymore.

He's 37 years old. One day, he won't flick this magical switch in the playoffs (which sorry, only happened twice and in the big picture, that's a small sample size) and we need to cut him loose before he costs us more games. We can blame our D until we're blue in the face but it's quite the coincidence that our D is somehow always the reason Howard does well and always the reason Osgood doesn't.

laugh.gif

Umm, no.

Even Babcock, who has had no problem hanging Osgood up after games this year, didn't have s*** to say about him after this game, noting that a goalie has no chance on some of those goals and the defense and TEAM was terrible, noting that they were getting into a habit of losing as opposed to winning.

#26 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

Pretty sure nobody talks about the good and always focuses on the bad.

Actually he was playing pretty good (remember the Nashville game where he magically didn't get to play after?)

Out of curiousity whats the difference between "wasting" starts now and "wasting" starts when we are in the playoffs?

Last time I checked neither are doing that.

What are the "Osgood" apologists saying? That Howard sucks and Osgood should get a bunch of starts? That Osgood should be played perfectly evenly no matter what?

Really? Cause Detroit only scored two goals tonight and the first three were definitely not on Osgood. Everyone talks about how a big save could swing momentum (which he had a good share of tonight) but nobody gets on the offense for not scoring a big goal first to change the momentum. Hellooo?

I personally hope we've seen Osgood's last game in Detroit. I can't take his s*** anymore. He's never confident, he's always wobbly and looks like he's flailing his limbs hoping to God the puck hits him. He doesn't try to make the save anymore, he's not good enough. He just tries to flail and f***s up.

All bologna and you know it.

Really? Cause last time I checked the D was the reason Howard has lost the past few games. Hmmm, that seems pretty consistent if you ask me.

But what do I know? I'm just an Osgood apologist who wants Osgood to play every game cause I just love him oh so much.

Posted Image

#27 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:54PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sports fans more than anyone else consistently confuse modesty with honesty.

Nick will never throw Ozzie under the bus.

#28 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

While that is true, he also says that for Ozzie's benefit. For as cocky as he comes off sometimes, Ozzie needs more confidence stroking than most goalies. If Nick hung that loss on him, he'd be up in the rafters with homie in no time.

works every time

#29 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

I must have missed all the wins Jimmy Howard compiled for the team lately.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#30 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

Lidstrom memorized that flash card a long time ago...

#31 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (zackmorris @ January 27, 2010 - 10:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sports fans more than anyone else consistently confuse modesty with honesty.

Nick will never throw Ozzie under the bus.

Babcock hasn't had a problem doing it though, and he sure didn't tonight.

You're not even a good Osgood-hater, do you realize that? You make all these overzealous statements that have absolutely no basis in reality, you blatantly ignore other elements in the game and then all these hyperbolic declarations about Osgood never playing another game again. It's ridiculous. What are you trying to prove?

#32 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holliday @ January 27, 2010 - 10:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure nobody talks about the good and always focuses on the bad.

I'm pretty sure you're not really hanging around Wings fans when he makes a good save. Check ANY jtv or ustream chat room.

Actually he was playing pretty good (remember the Nashville game where he magically didn't get to play after?)

You can't count one game as "playing consistently good" smart guy.

Out of curiousity whats the difference between "wasting" starts now and "wasting" starts when we are in the playoffs?

Because maybe Howard will start in the playoffs. He's certainly earned the chance.

Last time I checked neither are doing that.

Pardon me, but I don't give a f*** what you've checked, you're biased as hell towards Ozzie and an argumentative prick on the side. If you don't think a guy who is near top 5 in the whole league in goaltending isn't giving us a chance to win, stop watching, hockey isn't for you.

What are the "Osgood" apologists saying? That Howard sucks and Osgood should get a bunch of starts? That Osgood should be played perfectly evenly no matter what?

Yup

Really? Cause Detroit only scored two goals tonight and the first three were definitely not on Osgood. Everyone talks about how a big save could swing momentum (which he had a good share of tonight) but nobody gets on the offense for not scoring a big goal first to change the momentum. Hellooo?

2 of the first 4 were definitely Ozzie and it's arguable the tip would've hit a goalie who had been out of his crease a bit more. It only missed his shoulder by about 2 inches. We kept Ozzie in it and he just keptf****** up.

All bologna and you know it.

Shut up Doc, it's all true. We both know I'm right. He f***in flails a limb or two, and hopes it hits him. He plays like he's out in the goddamn street stopping rubber balls. He juts out his chest and doesn't react to shots anymore. Every save attempt is identical.

Really? Cause last time I checked the D was the reason Howard has lost the past few games. Hmmm, that seems pretty consistent if you ask me.

If you have to use the last few games as a reason Howard shouldn't be in there, f*** off. Take a few steps backward.

But what do I know? I'm just an Osgood apologist who wants Osgood to play every game cause I just love him oh so much.

Sarcasm overload = losing mans crutch.

#33 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ January 27, 2010 - 11:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Babcock hasn't had a problem doing it though, and he sure didn't tonight.

You're not even a good Osgood-hater, do you realize that? You make all these overzealous statements that have absolutely no basis in reality, you blatantly ignore other elements in the game and then all these hyperbolic declarations about Osgood never playing another game again. It's ridiculous. What are you trying to prove?

Yes, what am I trying to prove? Maybe instead of witch hunting for tihs mysterious ulterior motive, you should ponder the possibilities of me just uttering the truth.

It hurts being an Ozzie fan, I know. But I'm a fan of the wheel, not the name on the back.

#34 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (kook_10 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While that is true, he also says that for Ozzie's benefit. For as cocky as he comes off sometimes, Ozzie needs more confidence stroking than most goalies. If Nick hung that loss on him, he'd be up in the rafters with homie in no time.

Again, Babcock will rip into Osgood without flinching and he said more to defend Osgood than anything. I suppose that means nothing too? Again, I'm not saying Osgood played great, but he didn't lose this game for us by any means, and if you go back and watch those replays, there's a lot of good goals there that in Babcock's words "no goalie has a chance on" and a lot of terrible defensive breakdowns.

#35 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Nick isn't Babcock. That's it. That's all. Babcock isn't as easy on someone when they f*** up.

And you know what? Both serve their purpose. Sometimes Nick isn't truly honest when honesty would result in hurt feelings. But sometimes people need to hear when they'ref****** up.

Edited by zackmorris, 27 January 2010 - 11:09 PM.

#36 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (zackmorris @ January 27, 2010 - 11:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure you're not really hanging around Wings fans when he makes a good save. Check ANY jtv or ustream chat room.

That is normal for any goaltender for any team. It is called a "knee-jerk" reaction. I for one have not seen it once on here.

You can't count one game as "playing consistently good" smart guy.

Would you like me to list every game he played well? I mean it is as if you started watching in December.

Because maybe Howard will start in the playoffs. He's certainly earned the chance.

As of right now it doesn't matter because the team as a whole sucks so bad they can't win with either goaltender.

Pardon me, but I don't give a f*** what you've checked, you're biased as hell towards Ozzie and an argumentative prick on the side. If you don't think a guy who is near top 5 in the whole league in goaltending isn't giving us a chance to win, stop watching, hockey isn't for you.

Check the last few games and tell me that again. It isn't about the goaltending anymore.

Yup

Not once.

2 of the first 4 were definitely Ozzie and it's arguable the tip would've hit a goalie who had been out of his crease a bit more. It only missed his shoulder by about 2 inches. We kept Ozzie in it and he just keptf****** up.

The fourth I will give you but not the first three. Once again defensive coverage. It has been screwing Detroit for the past six games and has been unbiased to either goaltender. Howard moreso because he has been playing more than Ozzie.

Shut up Doc, it's all true. We both know I'm right. He f***in flails a limb or two, and hopes it hits him. He plays like he's out in the goddamn street stopping rubber balls. He juts out his chest and doesn't react to shots anymore. Every save attempt is identical.

Shut up? What are we in third grade? I'm not even talking, I'm typing.

If you have to use the last few games as a reason Howard shouldn't be in there, f*** off. Take a few steps backward.

I never talked about Howard not being in there, I'm talking about how goaltending is irrelevant at the current point in time because the team is losing with both. Goaltending has not been at fault for the past 5 games at least.

Sarcasm overload = losing mans crutch.

Only when the sarcasm is all that is being put onto the table. I bring my sarcasm WITH content.

Posted Image

#37 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holliday @ January 27, 2010 - 11:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is normal for any goaltender for any team. It is called a "knee-jerk" reaction. I for one have not seen it once on here.

Would you like me to list every game he played well? I mean it is as if you started watching in December.

As of right now it doesn't matter because the team as a whole sucks so bad they can't win with either goaltender.

Check the last few games and tell me that again. It isn't about the goaltending anymore.

Not once.

The fourth I will give you but not the first three. Once again defensive coverage. It has been screwing Detroit for the past six games and has been unbiased to either goaltender. Howard moreso because he has been playing more than Ozzie.

I never talked about Howard not being in there, I'm talking about how goaltending is irrelevant at the current point in time because the team is losing with both. Goaltending has not been at fault for the past 5 games at least.

Only when the sarcasm is all that is being put onto the table. I bring my sarcasm WITH content.

Only one way to settle this dispute. DUEL.

Balls in your court Huckleberries
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#38 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holliday @ January 27, 2010 - 11:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, ok, well any time anyone f***s up in life let's just call it a flip, knee jerk reaction. That seems to make it excusable.

No, fact remains, it's hypocritical. His good saves are amazing but his goals against are purely because he's rusty.

Doesn't make sense.

I mean early in the season in general. He played like s***. I know you're the local argue-holic but do you really want to start a pissing contest over something everyone knows?

Yeah, recently. What about before? Because recently isn't something that will continue in 'til April if you catch my drift.

You're confused. You're looking at the outcome, not the play of the goaltender. Howard makes huge stops that Ozzie would let in. 3 games doesn't erase the season he's had so far and he gives us a better chance to win.

Not once.

Defensive lapses are going to happen in every single hockey game ever played. Sorry, but your goalie needs to make a few of those saves. Again, that tipped shot would've been stopped by cutting off the angle a little more.

And avoiding the entire point after it? Must be that "content" you go on to speak so highly of rolleyes.gif

The goaltending is not irrelevant. It is if you just look at the box score. If Howard doesn't make a small handful of great saves per game on chances Ozzie would s*** himself over, we don't even get the 1 point we've gotten most of the time.

Edited by zackmorris, 27 January 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#39 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (zackmorris @ January 27, 2010 - 11:06PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, what am I trying to prove? Maybe instead of witch hunting for tihs mysterious ulterior motive, you should ponder the possibilities of me just uttering the truth.

It hurts being an Ozzie fan, I know. But I'm a fan of the wheel, not the name on the back.

Truth? In who's twisted reality?

Again, no one's saying Osgood played great, but you're wanting to string him up for tonight when last night Howard let in 5 goals in a game where he didn't face near as many quality chances, defensive breakdowns or odd-man rushes. But he had to deal with a team that fell apart in the last five minutes while Osgood had to deal with a team that floundered the entire game, still in shambles from last nights disaster.

As a fan of the wheel, I'm not going to get hung up on any one guy if they don't deserve it. Neither Howard or Osgood deserve it right now, but jokers like you like to throw lines out there about names on jersey's to support why some guy sucks, but you're the one singling out ONE GUY when there's an entire team out theref****** up on a grand level.

So sure, it makes a whole lot of sense to single out the goalie again and again despite the fact that the defense has been terrible and half the time we struggle to score more than 1-2 goals. SURE!!!

#40 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ January 27, 2010 - 11:17PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Truth? In who's twisted reality?

Again, no one's saying Osgood played great, but you're wanting to string him up for tonight when last night Howard let in 5 goals in a game where he didn't face near as many quality chances, defensive breakdowns or odd-man rushes.

I don't care about the numbers as much as some people. It's the fact that Ozzie's f*** ups look a hell of alot worse than Howard's. Howard can let in 5 and I still feel more confident with him in there. Ozzie looks at any moment like he may give up an easy whiffer backbreaking goal.

As a fan of the wheel, I'm not going to get hung up on any one guy if they don't deserve it. Neither Howard or Osgood deserve it right now, but jokers like you like to throw lines out there about names on jersey's to support why some guy sucks, but you're the one singling out ONE GUY when there's an entire team out theref****** up on a grand level.

The team didn't play well tonight but I'm looking at Osgood on the whole-all season. What the f*** has he done to earn anything from anyone? Tonight was another joke, and sorry but he looked like he was going to f*** up and let in 3 more that luckily hit him.

So sure, it makes a whole lot of sense to single out the goalie again and again despite the fact that the defense has been terrible and half the time we struggle to score more than 1-2 goals. SURE!!!

This is a thread about our goaltending. I'm talking about our goalie. Who can't make a huge save to save his life. But we don't really expect that, do we? I see Howard doing it. But we don't think about it when he does, more specifically, we don't think about what might have been if he didn't. He does that quite a bit. We're just too happy to think about it. Ozzie doesn't do that-he doesn't make big saves anymore.

This is mroe about what I see with my eyes and ultimately I almost always end up right about these things in the end, because I don't let bias into my thoughts on a player-Ozzie is shaky in the net and looks like he doesn't have the quickness to react to a shot anymore. Howard does.

This happens on every sports forum. Every player has a fan base of a certain size who will defend him to the death in spite of any bad performance. It's always everyone elses fault. Even when that player is sent f***in packing.

Edited by zackmorris, 27 January 2010 - 11:24 PM.