• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:25 AM

Yeah, I have full faith in him over Osgood and have for a long long time. And if he is the #1 that you all want him to be being benched for a while shouldn't matter all that much. Even when he is playing all the time he always has some, "Rust," or some other bulls*** that you all use to justify him sucking. He is done stick a fork in him. Let him play out the year, start grooming our other goalies in Grand Rapids, and move on with the franchise.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#62 Phazon

Phazon

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:26 AM

both goalies suck. For next season get new goalies.

#63 bdavis

bdavis

• Bronze Booster
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (Phazon @ January 28, 2010 - 01:26AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
both goalies suck. For next season get new goalies.

I don't see how you could say that Howard sucks. He is a rookie goalie, with a 9th in the league GAA, and 6th in the league save percentage. He was in the top 5 in GAA, but the recent meltdowns defensively have slightly deflated his statistics. Personally, I thought he played well against Phoenix. The Wings just ended up sitting back in that game, and kinda left him out to dry. He isn't going to make every save. Howard is a goalie that can make 30+ saves a night, regularly. Have some faith in this guy. He is going to be the one that takes over as our main goalie. Ozzie is starting to get up there in age.

I can only imagine what Howard's game will be like in the future. With the experience he is gaining from this year, he will hone his game and become our go to guy.

#64 Phazon

Phazon

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (bd2988 @ January 28, 2010 - 03:48AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see how you could say that Howard sucks. He is a rookie goalie, with a 9th in the league GAA, and 6th in the league save percentage. He was in the top 5 in GAA, but the recent meltdowns defensively have slightly deflated his statistics. Personally, I thought he played well against Phoenix. The Wings just ended up sitting back in that game, and kinda left him out to dry. He isn't going to make every save. Howard is a goalie that can make 30+ saves a night, regularly. Have some faith in this guy. He is going to be the one that takes over as our main goalie. Ozzie is starting to get up there in age.

I can only imagine what Howard's game will be like in the future. With the experience he is gaining from this year, he will hone his game and become our go to guy.

Howard was never really good in AHL, Daniel Larsson outplayed him. I wonder when Larsson finally will get his chance to shine.

#65 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

Red Wings fans, generally speaking, are a bunch of morons when it comes to goaltending talk. No goalie could save the Red Wings these past few gams with how bad the defense has been. Not Osgood, not Howard, not a brick wall on the net. Osgood and/or Howard have to play a bit better latley and it'd be nice if they could've stolen a game, but they are getting hung out to dry lately.

#66 taken11400

taken11400

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

I think we need to put Osgood back in there. Like someone said earlier, he's out of pratice, but only for this season. We can't expect for a miracle with him and he fix everything. I don't think Osgood has been out of practice for the last two seasons, remember in '09 we played in the final playoffs, lost the Cup by one freckin game, and then in '08 we did win. Howard is not going to get us to the playoffs the way he's been playing, and neither will the rest of the team. We are having a very OFF season this year. Howards, slipping to much and isn't fast in recovering....I know the real problem here, we've all been spoiled way too much with Hasek. There's no Goalie like him sad.gif I miss Hasek. Hopefully, whatever Babcock decides to do (keep Howard, or put Osgood in) they can work together and shape back up. We still have time to win this thing. Good luck to the guys, Detroit Red Wings all the way!

Edited by taken11400, 28 January 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#67 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ January 28, 2010 - 11:06AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Red Wings fans, generally speaking, are a bunch of morons when it comes to goaltending talk. No goalie could save the Red Wings these past few gams with how bad the defense has been. Not Osgood, not Howard, not a brick wall on the net. Osgood and/or Howard have to play a bit better latley and it'd be nice if they could've stolen a game, but they are getting hung out to dry lately.

Finally, someone with a actual functioning brain speaking.
Thanks you, sir. Well said.

All this bitching about goaltenders.
I reall wonder if other fans generate this much horsecarp as well on other internet-forums..

There will not be a single goaltender who can live up to the expectations in this town.
Look what goaltenders we have had the last 10 years: Osgood, Hasek, Legace, Joseph and now Howard.
Not a bad list of goaltenders, woudn't you agree ? But somehow we were able to found there weak spot and treat them like s***.
Playing for Detroit means you get dropped like a bag of dirt as soon as you hit a bad stretch or you have some difficulty on or off the ice.
It's pathetic.

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#68 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Despite Osgood's poor play (yes, it's poor play, positionally and he's very slow) I kind of want to see what he does with 2 consecutive starts. But I guess that's unlikely.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#69 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Doc Holliday @ January 27, 2010 - 09:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howard has lost 4 of his last 5 if I'm not mistaken.

How is Detroit better off with Howard in net if they can't win with him in net? Riddle me that please.

When you turn the puck over 19 times in one game it's pretty tough to win.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#70 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Zackmorris,

Don't run yourself ragged trying to pound some common sense into Doc Holliday, Dcm007, Haroldsnepsts or any other Osgood fanatic. They don't play or haven't played the game of hockey. They don't have an understand of the position. It's pointless. Let them lounge around in fantasy land in denial. Others here will do the same. Luckily the coach is not so mentally incapacitated, so we don't have to worry about it.

He'll continue to put Howard in goal. Regardless of whether he gets the win or not, he gives the team the best chance of doing so.

Edited by Pucks, 28 January 2010 - 08:53 PM.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#71 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ January 28, 2010 - 04:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you turn the puck over 19 times in one game it's pretty tough to win.

My point exactly.

QUOTE (Pucks @ January 28, 2010 - 04:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zackmorris,

Don't run yourself ragged trying to pound some common sense into Doc Holliday, Dcm007, Haroldsnepsts or any other Osgood fanatic. They don't play or haven't played the game of hockey. They don't have an understand of the position. It's pointless. Let them lounge around in fantasy land in denial. Others here will do the same. Luckily the coach is not so mentally incapacitated, so we don't have to worry about it.

He'll continue to put Howard in goal. Regardless of whether he gets the win or not, he gives the team the best chance of doing so.

If you aren't going to be civil then don't bother mentioning me. Despite my "fanatic" behavior I discuss the issue instead of throw ad hom attacks at people who disagree with me as if they mean something. Especially when you list baseless assertions.

Grow up.

Posted Image

#72 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Pucks @ January 28, 2010 - 04:45PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zackmorris,

laugh.gif

Thank you for clarifying that for me! I had no idea that I actually never played hockey since shortly after I could walk. I guess I better go see a shrink to sort some s*** out...

-Elliot

#73 Stiffy

Stiffy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 27, 2010 - 10:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ozzie has sucked, but Babcock dropped the ball by sitting him for an entire month.

Now Ozzie is out of rhythm and he sucks

Babcock needs to be held accountable for the whole goaltending fiasco this season. A poor bit of coaching on his part.

That and a little more I think. Just where does the buck stop? Coaching has to be a factor - something is not working.