• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Stars' Mark Fistric fined $2,500

Rate this topic

Sorry if this was already posted.

FRISCO, Texas -- The NHL fined Dallas Stars defenseman Mark Fistric $2,500 for punching Calgary forward Eric Nystrom with Nystrom's helmet during a fight in the first period of Wednesday's 4-3 Stars win over Calgary.

The league did not suspend Fistric, who pleaded his case with Colin Campbell, NHL executive VP and director of hockey operations in a conference call Thursday.

"When I look at the tape, it's obviously not the way that I felt it was," Fistric said. "The helmet got caught in my hand and I went to swing and the helmet was still there. I dropped it right away once I realized it was still there. Anyone that knows me knows that not only was it my first fight in a long time, but I haven't had any history of being a dirty player or anything like that.

"It was heat of the moment and you lose track of stuff. When adrenaline is going, you lose track of things. It's not what I wanted to do. I meant no harm to Eric and I was glad that he came back and he was fine and there was nothing wrong with him. I just have to move on from it."

Fistric was given a match penalty about eight minutes into the game after Nystrom's helmet came off on Fistric's hand and Fistric then punched Nystrom with it as the two fought. A match penalty is, by rule, given when the officials feel there was an "intent to injure."

Fistric, 23, has seven points -- six of them assists -- in 44 games. His plus-12 rating is a team-high. The Stars face Colorado on Friday at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Per ESPN.com

whew... tough call... the video definitely looks like he swung the helmet and it wasn't just "caught in his hand", but at the same token, it's hard to judge something like that in the heat of the moment...

especially since he doesn't really have a prior record and got the match penalty already, I don't think a suspension should follow... seems like the punishment is enough...

I can't imagine anyone trying to hit someone over the head with their helmet unless they really hated each other.. but this just seems like a random unplanned scrap.. im sure it was just a heat of the moment thing.. doesnt look that intentional.. fine should be enough unless he developes a habit of hitting players in the head with their helmets..

I don't believe for a second that hitting him with a helmet was an accident. If you watch the video again, he clearly pulls the helmet off himself. While keeping it tight in his hands, he gives him a good bump on the head. I think the fine is a good enough punishment and nothing further should happen.

players are so stupid now. fighting after a good clean check? wow. the nhl is really changing.

I agree. I don't ever want to see fighting banned, but something has to be done about this. If you play the puck then other players are allowed to hit you. The hit was clean as can be and wasn't even that hard, if Nystrom can't handle that, then he shouldn't be playing.

Edited by Dano33

I think it's hilarious since Nystrom was the one to pick the fight over that small hit that Fistric threw. I guess it'd be different if Nystrom got seriously hurt from it, but hey, reap what you sow.

If you wanna fight yourself after you get your clock cleaned, I think that's cool. I think it's stupid when someone else tries to fight for a player who gets decked.

This.

I fought a guy who had 50 pounds on me. The guy cleaned my clock with three solid checks, and after the third I just couldn't take it anymore so I went after him.

I lost, but I defended myself. Players need to do that instead of look for an "enforcer" or whoever to do their work for them.

This.

I fought a guy who had 50 pounds on me. The guy cleaned my clock with three solid checks, and after the third I just couldn't take it anymore so I went after him.

I lost, but I defended myself. Players need to do that instead of look for an "enforcer" or whoever to do their work for them.

Tomas Kopecky, is that you?

:hehe: