• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Franzen Coming Back Before the Olympic Break?

Rate this topic

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

I read online that he may be back 3 days before the break. Does that make sense to anyone else? Why not just take the extra 2 weeks?

I agree but I really think he wants to play in the Olympics so getting a game or two in beforehand would help him in that regard. Obviously I'd want him to rest but I can understand if he wanted to go.

I agree but I really think he wants to play in the Olympics so getting a game or two in beforehand would help him in that regard. Obviously I'd want him to rest but I can understand if he wanted to go.

I thought he wasn't listed on the roster, though?

No way should Franzen play if he gets back into shape. He is not ready to play a full NHL game at 100% let alone a hockey tournament of that scale.

i think i read in another thread, that he would like to come back -after- the olympics. I understand it that way, that he would like to take the 2 weeks extra. (But have to find the source)

EDIT: Think i was wrong. Maybe i just wish to hard, that he will take the 2 weeks extra.

Edited by Rubbel_die_Katz

I love Mule and want him back ASAP, but I agree it seems to make more sense for him to just practice hard and work on his conditioning in those 2 weeks and not risk anything.

As long as he doesn't practice tip ins with Lebda during those practices, then that's a great idea.

His knee is supposedly 100%. If you don't want him to re-injure himself the best thing for him to do is stop playing hockey altogether.

The best thing for the Wings would be if he could play in the Olympics. Get some easy games against bad teams, then a couple of games against better teams, and maybe a semi-final and final/bronze-game against really tough opponents.

Then when the NHL picks up again he would be in pretty decent shape most likely.. if he doesn't play any games until after the Olympics he might not be in any kind of shape until we have like 10 games left of the season.

The best thing for the Wings would be if he could play in the Olympics. Get some easy games against bad teams, then a couple of games against better teams, and maybe a semi-final and final/bronze-game against really tough opponents.

Then when the NHL picks up again he would be in pretty decent shape most likely.. if he doesn't play any games until after the Olympics he might not be in any kind of shape until we have like 10 games left of the season.

It's a very tempting idea. What if after the Olympic break he was already in game shape and ready to go? It might be crucial for a final push for a playoff spot.

Also, what do people think of a Cleary-Franzen-Bertuzzi line?

It's a very tempting idea. What if after the Olympic break he was already in game shape and ready to go? It might be crucial for a final push for a playoff spot.

Also, what do people think of a Cleary-Franzen-Bertuzzi line?

I think that we're more likely to see Franzén-Zetterberg-Cleary or Franzén-Filppula-Bertuzzi.

As much as I like Franzen I like the Detroit Red Wings more. So the selfish side of me wants Franzen to have no part in the Olympics (that's assuming it'd be more beneficial for Detroit for him to sit idle). However, this is a guy who is in the prime of his career and with injuries, or anything else that could get f***ed between now and the next Olympics, you've got to take your shots when you get them. Plus, I'm sure for Swedish players playing on the Olympic team with Lidstrom would be a huge deal for them.

Problem is the only way he could get on the roster is as an injury sub. The obvious person to look to for an injury would be Peter Forsberg. That being said, on NHL on TSN last night, it was reported that Forsberg has played in three straight games and is looking solid. So this discussion may be irrelevant.

At the end of the day although I do wish the best for Franzen (to play and be successful in the Olympics and with the Wings) I would prefer his top priority remain the DRW.

As an unselfish Red Wings fan, I believe if Franzen's doctors tell him he is clear to play, he should play for him home country.

No.

The Red Wings sign his checks and therefore they own him. As long as he plays under their roof he will live under their rules. He will not play for Team Sweden because they said so.

he has already been cleared to play....he wants the next 2 weeks to get his endurance and speed back to game shape.

he stated that he was a bit winded after a few aggressive skates around the rink.

before the Olympics start, he wants a few games in to determine if he is good, or needs time to round into form.

whether or not he gets into the olympics, is up to other injuries and his own feeling.

as for the olympics this year...each roster has to be named at midnight before the first game. it can then not be altered, at all, for the duration of the games.

That would be so awesome if he re-injures it in the Olympics.

ACL injuries don't work like that, after surgery the ligament is actually stronger than the one jeebus gave you. Back in the day people had trouble with the fixing points and if you take a crap ton of cortizone shots you'll have issues but PT is about muscle not the ligament.

Now the muscle memory and strength probably wont be there unless he's hitting the PT real hard but if the ligament goes in the olympics its because it would have gone regardless of previous injuries.

Guest Lidstromboli
No.

The Red Wings sign his checks and therefore they own him. As long as he plays under their roof he will live under their rules. He will not play for Team Sweden because they said so.

hahaha.

he has already been cleared to play....he wants the next 2 weeks to get his endurance and speed back to game shape.

he stated that he was a bit winded after a few aggressive skates around the rink.

before the Olympics start, he wants a few games in to determine if he is good, or needs time to round into form.

whether or not he gets into the olympics, is up to other injuries and his own feeling.

as for the olympics this year...each roster has to be named at midnight before the first game. it can then not be altered, at all, for the duration of the games.

^this

He has been cleared to play by his doctor, which likely means that the doc feels that the risk of re-injury is low.

If he gets himself back into game shape a few days before the Olympics, and someone on the Sweden roster gets injured, then I see no reason he shouldn't get to play, and besides, that would essentially be the equivalent of a conditioning assignment, and the Olympics are not as physically demanding as the NHL (bigger ice, less hitting), so that would mean that if he plays regularly he would likely be back to game speed, which can only help us with our efforts to claw our way back into a playoff spot.

Besides, my wife wants to see her favorite player in the Olympics.

Edited by bonan78