• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#1 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

Last night he was +1 with 21 shifts, 2 Penalty Minutes, 4 hits, 2 blocked shots and 2 giveaways in a total of 14:18 TOI.

I figured why not start a thread to talk about his game by game progress like the Eaves thread; maybe "help" get him going.

How come he's struggled so much this year? You can never really point to one reason. There's the high expectations, Lebda, the injury, umm... Lebda. Wait I already said that. Oh well.

Lastly, I can't believe I beat Drake to this thread idea.

#2 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:02 AM

He seems to either have a very good game, or a very bad game. Really needs to work on consistency. Good thing is he can usually make up for the mistakes he makes with his size and skating ability. He also played extremely good in the playoffs and probably caused him to have to live up to an unfair expectation, that coupled with the injuries seemed to delay/harm his progression.

Even with the mistakes he's making I still think he's a fine 5-6th defenseman at the moment. And hopefully he can straighten his game out and start moving up the depth chart. Either way it's like playing with house money when you hit on a player like Ericsson with the last pick in a draft. At the very very least he's a solid depth defenseman.

#3 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:18 AM

He's looked utterly atrocious for a while now. Giveaways galore and seems to literally just STAND in the crease without making any contact with the player he's defending. Whats the point of that huge body then? I'd be more then happy to see Meech take his spot. I think another year in Grand Rapids would do him good.

Edited by ShanahanMan, 30 January 2010 - 06:18 AM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#4 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:52 AM

Him and Stuart both have struggled lately. I don't get it. It's like there's no attention to detail on defense at all.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#5 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I think it's a sophomore season type thing. High expectations after a great playoff, full season in the NHL, higher pressure because of the injuries... All of it excuses I suppose...

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,711 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

He somehow got a hold of the Uwe Krupp video on how to play defense.

Waste of size so far. He utilized it way better last year in the playoffs.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

I think Ericsson tries to make a hard play too much, he just needs to do the simple plays down low in our zone.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#8 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

He didn't just have 2 giveaways last night, he had 2 pinpoint on-the-tape passes to the other team in a good scoring position. In the neutral and offensive zones he looks fine, but he's struggling with the rudiments of the game in the defensive zone. I can't remember the last time I saw Ericsson make a breakout while retrieving the puck along the boards where he didn't get trapped or just make the simple play. As stated above, his size is a waste. He could be an absolute behemoth of a defenseman but he very rarely uses his size effectively and relies far too much on his stick when fighting for pucks in the corner.

He'll get better with time and getting off a pairing with Lebda is imperative because it's just a recipe for disaster.

#9 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

If there isn't an image of Ericsson's face photoshopped onto a watch by the end of page one I will be very disappointed.

#10 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Posted Image

#11 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

I hope Lilja can come in a take Ericsson's spot on the PK. Maybe that'll make it a little easier on him.

#12 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ January 30, 2010 - 08:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope Lilja can come in a take Ericsson's spot on the PK. Maybe that'll make it a little easier on him.

If anything he would take Rafalski's.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#13 Pavel Hossyukstrom

Pavel Hossyukstrom

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

I'm beginning to think now why he was the last pick of the draft. dry.gif I know he's a rookie but he isn't even a decent one imo.
Champions are made of metal!!

#14 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

i don't get why he still isn't on the powerplay confused1.gif

Edited by Lidstromboli, 30 January 2010 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#15 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (Lidstromboli @ January 30, 2010 - 03:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i don't get why he still isn't on the powerplay confused1.gif

I'm with you, although Babcock likes to have a right-handed shot at the point on both PP units, but I agree that he should have gotten a more realistic shot on the PP when everyone was hurt.

I attribute most of his recent struggles on lack of confidence, which began when he went cold offensively. That and having Lebda as a defensive partner magnifies every little mistake he makes because neither of them are good enough to cover for the other when one decides to pinch in, and both of them like to.

I hope he can turn it around, because we have all seen the kind of upside he has, and he could develop into a top 4 blue-liner on this team for many years, but in the here and now it's been painful to see him (and the team as a whole) struggle this much.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#16 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Ericsson will be fine in the long run.

I really think right now he needs a stable partner on the 3rd pairing. I also think he needs to play a more physical game. I believe this is an understatement.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#17 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (rick zombo @ January 30, 2010 - 06:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ericsson will be fine in the long run.

I really think right now he needs a stable partner on the 3rd pairing. I also think he needs to play a more physical game. I believe this is an understatement.

He needs to be able to play his game, and that means being aggressive on offense and defense. He can't really do that with the partners he's had.

#18 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

He needs to start being more careful and stop being so careless. Maybe it's a matter of lack of poise. Hopefully that will change as he grows in experience.

#19 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ January 30, 2010 - 04:56AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lastly, I can't believe I beat Drake to this thread idea.

laugh.gif I'm so damn biased when it comes to Ericsson that I find my disappointment in him pretty scary right now. I know he's still getting used to the NHL game and we have to expect growing pains in the first few years of an NHL d-man's career... but hey, I wanted him to be a star from day one. tongue.gif

Good things come to those who wait?

Worst case scenario he can be a Hall Gill type of guy and be valuable for his size and strength alone. God knows Gill's hockey sense isn't better than Lebda's.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#20 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

The giveaways in front of the net in the defensive zone have really increased lately.
lighten up people, it's the internet!