• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

playoff probability

Rate this topic

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/westernstandingsg.html

I stumbled on this nifty chart that determines the probability of some team ending the season at some place in the conference, based on where they are now.

edit: also there's an eastern conference one if you make your way back to the nhl page (link in top left)

Edited by Echolalia

This doesn't look very accurate to me. From what I can see it doesnt really take into account the types of players you have, its just a strict statistical analysis based on historical numbers for those positions.

If a truly accurate model could be produced then people wouldn't allow you to gamble on it, would they? Anyway, I don't know the exact equations they use, but it says at the top that "All future unplayed games are assumed won/lost with a probability based upon relative team strengths". How you want to interpret that is up to you.

And Vancouver overcame a three goal deficit to win the game. Nashville is winning 4-3, and Phoenix is up 3-0 right now.

Well, then we should have beaten both LA and Phoenix when we had the chance. We'd have 4 extra points right now, and both those teams would have 2 points less.

Wings just have themselves to blame for that. We need to win tomorrow to keep pace it looks like.

Alot of the teams in the standings now, in my opinion are over achieving. Phoenix, Nashville,and LA. A healthy Wings lineup can easily beat them in the standings. Sure it might take a big win streak, but it will happen.

Remember last year when we all watched San Jose games anxiously with intense fear that we would not win the conference? I miss those days.

Haha I think all of us miss those days. It is pretty funny though. "Oh lord we are not getting first place!"

Guest Lidstromboli
Remember last year when we all watched San Jose games anxiously with intense fear that we would not win the conference? I miss those days.

yeah nice and boring

aw shucks, i just ran out of wonder bread!

since my thread topic got closed, because I didn't even find this one. :rolleyes: anyway, I'll repost what i said here.

Lets face it. the Red Wings are on the verge of not making the playoffs if they continue to play as they are. Besides the injuries, there are no excuses. Its time for the old hat to be put away. Drapes, Malts, Homer, Ozzie throw Lebda in there. This teams needs a major Shake Up.

Ya, I don't think they need a major shake up. Are we quickly forgetting that this team went to the Cup finals 2 years in a row? Yes this team has played very poorly compared to its standards but this is still a good team. I hate to use injuries but you have to consider them and who has been out. The key difference between this years team and the last two years is the depth. When we have had injuries in the past we have had excellent replacement players to fill the roles. This year has not been the case and we have seen that reflected in the play. I agree that some decisions need to be made on the players you mentioned but a major shake up is not the answer, more so a few tweaks.

There's about 6 teams now battling for that final spot, and outside of Calgary, every one of them is playing better than us.

If I was a betting man, I'd take one of those 6 teams ahead of the Wings as far as the chance of making the playoffs.

You don't do major shakeups when you're a playoff bubble team. If you make a change you make a careful, surgical change that gives your team something you badly need without messing up what little chemistry you may have on your team.

You only do major shakeups if you're a bottom feeder, which this team, with all it's struggles clearly is not.

But I don't forsee the Wings adding any players, we'll just have to ride out the storm and then tweak the team in the offseason.

I am, however, one of the few who thinks the Wings still can dominate in the playoffs. We've seen them turn the switch before. Call me crazy, but I'm calling a Cup finals appearance again.