• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Phazon

Phazon

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

How can a team regress so quickly after 2 consecutive SC finals? Yes i know injuries is a valid excuse, but were getting guys back now. Is babcock being outcoached? Yes it could be some of the problem.

#2 sherwood40

sherwood40

Rookie

• Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Everyone is turning the puck over WAY too much, Dats needs to shoot more, everyone knows he will pass 99% of the time. We don't have anyone on our team that can actually shoot the puck real good. I would love to see Larry Murphy become the defensive coach for detroit.

Edited by sherwood40, 31 January 2010 - 03:21 PM.

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

Seems like every important guy on the team is having a career worst season, except for Howard.

They just look too scared out there and don't seem to have confidence anymore offensively.

Defensively, they're just getting out of the way and trying to see how good Howard is. There's no other explanation for this defense.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 lilja4mvp

lilja4mvp

i hate you all

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

they suck

#5 FirstSamuel1745

FirstSamuel1745

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

This one's easy. One pace for 55 fewer goals this year, combined with a slightly more porous defense, and a hospital ward full of injuries. Hard to blame anyone for this, though you might wish the healthy players showed a bit more heart.

#6 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

Lack of puck possession. It's mainly the passing game I feel that is bad.. too many giveaways, too many passes behind players or bouncing passes that can't be controlled.

#7 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (FirstSamuel1745 @ January 31, 2010 - 03:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This one's easy. One pace for 55 fewer goals this year, combined with a slightly more porous defense, and a hospital ward full of injuries. Hard to blame anyone for this, though you might wish the healthy players showed a bit more heart.

Actually the defense is better this year. They're allowing 2.69 goals per game as opposed to 2.97 last year. Just shows you how good last year's offense was.

I still think they'll be able to get rolling once they get healthy. Pittsburgh was something like 5 points out of a playoff spot at this time last year.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

Can we all just blame this on Kirk Maltby?

It's been forever since he put the puck in the net.

I blame it all on him.

#9 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 31, 2010 - 03:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems like every important guy on the team is having a career worst season, except for Howard.

They just look too scared out there and don't seem to have confidence anymore offensively.

Defensively, they're just getting out of the way and trying to see how good Howard is. There's no other explanation for this defense.

Technically it is Howard's career worst season since it is his first full season in the NHL.

hehe.gif

Posted Image

#10 Phazon

Phazon

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

QUOTE (ARice89 @ January 31, 2010 - 03:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually the defense is better this year. They're allowing 2.69 goals per game as opposed to 2.97 last year. Just shows you how good last year's offense was.

I still think they'll be able to get rolling once they get healthy. Pittsburgh was something like 5 points out of a playoff spot at this time last year.

that's the thing though. It's not much time left.

#11 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 31, 2010 - 03:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can we all just blame this on Kirk Maltby?

It's been forever since he put the puck in the net.

I blame it all on him.

I blame it on Brad May. Wing's have never had a good team with him in the organization.

#12 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ January 31, 2010 - 03:22PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im going to be honest... I hope this is his career worst season too... IF so we have a really briight future ahead of us haha....

#13 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (Phazon @ January 31, 2010 - 03:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's the thing though. It's not much time left.

Once Franzen and Holmstrom come back, they have about a month to get in a groove before the playoffs.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#14 evil204

evil204

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (sherwood40 @ January 31, 2010 - 03:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone is turning the puck over WAY too much, Dats needs to shoot more, everyone knows he will pass 99% of the time. We don't have anyone on our team that can actually shoot the puck real good. I would love to see Larry Murphy become the defensive coach for detroit.

I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of shooters. Our Stanley Cup team didn't have any shooters either. I think the problem is that we're never quick enough to get to loose pucks, always a step behind. It looks like they're coasting all the time, and there's no sense of urgency in their game.

#15 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

I don't know how everyone can have bad seasons in the same year. Just doesn't make sense to me. What I do see is sloppy passes, they almost pass too much. I see two players six feet apart passing to each other with an opposing player bearing down on them, so they inevitably lose it instead of passing to the wide open player on the other side of the ice.

I see a lot of dump and chase, which they swore never to do a couple years ago when they won the Cup and last season.

And worst of all, I see a lot of players standing five feet away from the puck and they stand there to wait for the opposing player to pick it up and then just pick up the man and follow them around. I saw that a lot today and it infuriated me. I don't know who to cite an example, but at center ice the puck had was moving slowly and the Detroit player could have easily picked it up without exposing himself or putting himeslf out of position. He would be guaranteed to get the puck. Instead, he came to a complete stop and waited for Pittsburgh to grab it and carry it down ice.

If you want to chase the puck, actually CHASE it down.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#16 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

An aging core

300+ games the last 3 seasons, and the wear and tear those 3 deep playoffs induce

Winning so much they've become complacent

Losing Hossa/Hudler/Samuelsson to free agency

Horrific injury list

Loss of their "aura". Opponents know they are vulnerable. 2 years ago a team down by 2 against us with 10 mins to go would throw in the towel, not now. They go for the jugular.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#17 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

Do you guys really think two players are gonna make that much difference? Babcock said it all in that recent interview. We're playing worse with more healthy players than we did when half our team was injured. That tells you a lot right there.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#18 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (evil204 @ January 31, 2010 - 03:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of shooters. Our Stanley Cup team didn't have any shooters either. I think the problem is that we're never quick enough to get to loose pucks, always a step behind. It looks like they're coasting all the time, and there's no sense of urgency in their game.

This seems to be the biggest problem, look what happened after we scored. We nearly took the game over then and there. It's just simply a team that needs to find their drive again. Passion is there, but not quite the drive, there's something missing about it, maybe it's the "x-factor" that we need to pick up.

#19 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Two major things I've noticed over the last few games, one positive, one negative. The D needs to step into the play more, like Lidstrom has been doing. He looks lethal when he shoots from the center of the circles. Let's face it, Rafalski and Lidstrom are pretty bad at shooting from the point. They've gotten a lot worse over time. They should pinch in and shoot, or just pass it.

I also think they need to use Datysuk better on the PP. A lot of the time I've noticed him roaming around the front of the net. They need to let him and Zetterberg shoot, maybe rotate them with the D at the point, and shoot from the top of the circle.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (TheOwl @ January 31, 2010 - 02:38PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two major things I've noticed over the last few games, one positive, one negative. The D needs to step into the play more, like Lidstrom has been doing. He looks lethal when he shoots from the center of the circles. Let's face it, Rafalski and Lidstrom are pretty bad at shooting from the point. They've gotten a lot worse over time. They should pinch in and shoot, or just pass it.

I also think they need to use Datysuk better on the PP. A lot of the time I've noticed him roaming around the front of the net. They need to let him and Zetterberg shoot, maybe rotate them with the D at the point, and shoot from the top of the circle.

unsure.gif

So wait, what was the positive?