• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

what's wrong with the wings?

Rate this topic

I don't know how everyone can have bad seasons in the same year. Just doesn't make sense to me. What I do see is sloppy passes, they almost pass too much. I see two players six feet apart passing to each other with an opposing player bearing down on them, so they inevitably lose it instead of passing to the wide open player on the other side of the ice.

I see a lot of dump and chase, which they swore never to do a couple years ago when they won the Cup and last season.

And worst of all, I see a lot of players standing five feet away from the puck and they stand there to wait for the opposing player to pick it up and then just pick up the man and follow them around. I saw that a lot today and it infuriated me. I don't know who to cite an example, but at center ice the puck had was moving slowly and the Detroit player could have easily picked it up without exposing himself or putting himeslf out of position. He would be guaranteed to get the puck. Instead, he came to a complete stop and waited for Pittsburgh to grab it and carry it down ice.

If you want to chase the puck, actually CHASE it down.

Spot on! I was trying to explain this to my daughter. Glad someone else sees this also.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

Guest zackmorris
we'd be in 6th in the east

if playoffs were determined by position in the entire league, we'd be in 14th

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=...=nav-stn-league

Technically but if we were in the East (which we should be) we'd have a far different schedule. I think we're have alot more points too. Alot of close games probably would've went our way by virtue of alot of East teams being worst.

As with most years, that whole conference is an ugly contest.

An aging core

300+ games the last 3 seasons, and the wear and tear those 3 deep playoffs induce

Winning so much they've become complacent

Losing Hossa/Hudler/Samuelsson to free agency

Horrific injury list

Loss of their "aura". Opponents know they are vulnerable. 2 years ago a team down by 2 against us with 10 mins to go would throw in the towel, not now. They go for the jugular.

Agreed.

Once Franzen and Holmstrom come back, they have about a month to get in a groove before the playoffs.

They don't have a month they have a week at best. People think we have time to turn things around but time is up. If we don't put some regulation wins together the playoffs will be hard to see. Now with Calgary re-tooling its gonna be that much harder.

They don't have a month they have a week at best. People think we have time to turn things around but time is up. If we don't put some regulation wins together the playoffs will be hard to see. Now with Calgary re-tooling its gonna be that much harder.

We can always hope that it takes the new Flames awhile to adjust.

Guest DetroitBoy313

I feel really bad for Howard.He's putting up some great games but the players are just not there to put these games away.I really don't think it would be a horrible thing if they missed the playoffs this year.Looking at this team this year,we just don't have it.I don't think we can compete with SJ and Chi anyway honestly.Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but I lowered my expectations so I don't really get that pissed off anymore when they lose....14-10-6 the past 30 games.

Edited by DetroitBoy313

Everyone is turning the puck over WAY too much, Dats needs to shoot more, everyone knows he will pass 99% of the time. We don't have anyone on our team that can actually shoot the puck real good. I would love to see Larry Murphy become the defensive coach for detroit.

I'm certain he can't be any worse than McCrimmon. At least he would be off FSN.

:siren: ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE JUST BULLs***TING FOR NOTHING...DETROIT IS NOT GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS SO WHY ARE YOU STRESSING YOURSELF OUT ABOUT IT ????....ALL OF THE PLAYERS AND COACHES IS MAKING MILLIONS SO THEY DON'T REALLY CARE...WHY DO YOU ALL CARE ANYWAY ???...YOU ARE NOT GETTING A PENNY FROM ANY OF THEM...

DETROIT IS GOING TO HAVE A LONG SUMMER...IT HAVEN'T BEEN THIS WAY IN A LONG TIME...EVERYONE IS GOING FISHING AND HUNTING OR THE BEACH...THEY WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME...WHILE YOU ALL WILL SIT THERE WORRYING AND CRYING...SO CHEER UP...THEY WILL BE ALRIGHT !!! :siren:

Has anyone ever taught you how to spell and form a coherent sentence? Why are you asking a forum for wings fans if they care whether the wings make the playoffs? Obviously everybody here does....

Guest zackmorris
:siren: ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE JUST BULLs***TING FOR NOTHING...DETROIT IS NOT GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS SO WHY ARE YOU STRESSING YOURSELF OUT ABOUT IT ????....ALL OF THE PLAYERS AND COACHES IS MAKING MILLIONS SO THEY DON'T REALLY CARE...WHY DO YOU ALL CARE ANYWAY ???...YOU ARE NOT GETTING A PENNY FROM ANY OF THEM...

DETROIT IS GOING TO HAVE A LONG SUMMER...IT HAVEN'T BEEN THIS WAY IN A LONG TIME...EVERYONE IS GOING FISHING AND HUNTING OR THE BEACH...THEY WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME...WHILE YOU ALL WILL SIT THERE WORRYING AND CRYING...SO CHEER UP...THEY WILL BE ALRIGHT !!! :siren:

Suggesting no one on this team cares about the playoffs is a joke. I get your idea that athletes sometimes care less than the fans but you just took it waaaay overboard.

caps-lock-2.jpg

First stop with the exaggerations, they are not getting outshot every game.

The problem is team chemistry. They lost alot of guys to free agency and had to replace them with GR guys. It obviously takes awhile to adjust to that, then they started losing guys to injuries and had to bring in more guys. Now they are getting guys back, and once again this means different guys.

I expect after the olympics they will get it together. You can't just keep switching the guys in the lineup every few games and expect it to go smoothy.

Hockey is a team sport more than any other sport and team chemistry is critical.

Patience.

Does your mom know you are using the computer?

Franzen. Hear me out on this.

One player can't make a difference by himself. I'm not saying that when Franzen gets back all will be ducky swell.

What we are missing is the element that he provided. Let's say that he would have scored 20 goal by this point in the season. Heck, even 15 would do.

How many games have we played where we have been tied at the end of regulation? Franzen is one of those guys who scores when we really need it. He's the Man of the Hour in times of desperation. If he would have had one of those 15 goals that we know he could have scored during, say, three games where we ended up going to OT and lost, that would be three more points for us. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. Those three points are big in a tight standings race.

What we are missing is the Guy Who Gets It Done. Franzen is the epitome of That Guy.

I'm not saying his injury has cost us all these games. I'm saying that we need a guy like him who steps up, and none has.

Sammy could be That Guy on the occasions where he wasn't denting goalie gear. Hossa could be That Guy in the regular season. We came into this season needing what Franzen brings. We haven't had him, and no one has stepped up to be That Guy.

I'm gonna keep this real short, partly because it's been a long, iffy day and I'm just too damned tired to duck. But I saw improvement in the Wings' play as the game went on. I saw them not giving up so easily; their passing improved; and they seemed to get more aggressive with the puck as the game progressed. We tied 'em. That's SO much better than what I had envisioned. So the hell with it. I see better days ahead.

Getting the injured players back seems to have caused a setback. They're trying to score more, taking chances, but they look disorganized. Sometimes, they seem to be getting in each other's way. Pittsburgh isn't a great defensive team, but the Wings looked like they were out of sorts all game anyway.

I still think they have a chance to get hot at the right time. Unfortunately, that won't matter if they don't start winning games. The race is too tight to be a .500 team and expect to get in with the competition in the West. Gotta put a winning streak together and soon.

Jimmy Howard is playing great. The Wings haven't seen goaltending like this in a very long time.

I am so sick of the Wings' tired old offensive style. everything hinges on the d-men moving the puck up ice and those quick, but smallish forwards to dig it out from the corners.

Sorry, but the league seems to have caught up with these younger, more athletic players. Our forecheckers are rarely first to the puck. I am hoping beyond hope, that slower-paced, grinding playoff-type hockey will reap our team more success... but I'm starting to doubt it. this team is first round fodder as it is.

:unsure:

So wait, what was the positive?

That was a pretty hilarious obvservation. Lidstrom has multiplied his total goals in a relatively short span and it's way better than seeing 1 goal on 100 shots, that's for sure. I saw Cleary parked in front of Fleury, where Holmstrom and Franzen usually would be. If he is the guy who will step up, don't hold him back and make sure nobody gives an inch if they are taking cheap shots.

I'm optimistic about Howard, who has been playing the lights out. I'm not sure it will be good enough for the playoffs and I'm not sure Osgood will have what it takes to match or raise Howard down the stretch. This isn't a 1993 situation, though, so I don't think people will hate on Howard the same way they hated Osgood for losing to SJ when we're the #1 seed. Less goalie drama and more wins is always nice, whatever the case.

I'm also hopeful that Babcock has some master plan as to getting more physical play out of the defense. I agree with a lot of others about lazy passes. Lidstrom has always led with two-way play, but the Wings need to have enforcers with speed and hitting ability, if not finesse and scoring ability. And protect the goaltender, don't play goaltender. When I see Red Wings defensemen in the goalie crease down on the ice and they make a save it bugs the crap out of me because somebody should be blocking that shot with their body at the point, either taking the shooter off the puck or with a stick check.

Getting the injured players back seems to have caused a setback. They're trying to score more, taking chances, but they look disorganized. Sometimes, they seem to be getting in each other's way. Pittsburgh isn't a great defensive team, but the Wings looked like they were out of sorts all game anyway.

I still think they have a chance to get hot at the right time. Unfortunately, that won't matter if they don't start winning games. The race is too tight to be a .500 team and expect to get in with the competition in the West. Gotta put a winning streak together and soon.

Jimmy Howard is playing great. The Wings haven't seen goaltending like this in a very long time.

This.

Lets see.....they're a puck possession team who can't possess the puck.......they've probably been outshot in more games already this year than in the past several years combined......injuries have seriously disrupted chemistry from the season's start.........well over a decade of never having a chance to draft one of the obvious "can't miss" young guns.........the salary cap............hell, even losing Scotty from the organization........and finally, an accelerated aging process over the last 12 months for alot of the so called core......I guess that's just a few things........We couldn't just cruise into the playoffs for ever, so now we get to see how the other half lives.............does anyone else find you're drinking more during the games this year?