• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

themule0932

Shootouts

Rate this topic

I think we've won like 4 out of 10 shootouts or something similar. It's not great but not that terrible either. The big problem is letting games get to SO's.

It feels like the Wings usually play pretty good in OT's but can never put the game away.

Guest zackmorris

Get rid of f***in shootouts already. The novelty has worn off and frankly I'm sick of getting 1 point for losing them, I don't feel like anyone earns anything by losing.

Til then I'll just count the 1 point as an apology for how useless shootouts are. Go 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes if you have to but get rid of this s***, it's too "skills competition" for me.

Get rid of f***in shootouts already. The novelty has worn off and frankly I'm sick of getting 1 point for losing them, I don't feel like anyone earns anything by losing.

Til then I'll just count the 1 point as an apology for how useless shootouts are. Go 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes if you have to but get rid of this s***, it's too "skills competition" for me.

I hate them too, there is nothing wrong with a tie. They are a victory for the team underdog. Now it's just like well you outlasted the opponent now lets see if you can do it without the Defense that was helping you stay in the game.

They need to take more risks in OT and try to score. Maybe go with 3 forwards and one D, they already have a forward back checking most of the time anyways. They should also keep the shoot-out line up the same, Zetterberg, Datysuk and Bertuzzi/Flipulla. Williams isn't the guy I want shooting first.

Guest zackmorris

Imagine in boxing if the fight ended in a draw, so they went to a "sudden death punchfest". Whoever can land the most nose shots in 40 seconds wins.

Or in football, imagine if after a tied OT, they had a competition to see which QB could throw the ball farther, starter or backup, doesn't matter.

Why don't we just have the goalies shoot on the forwards, while the goalies keep all their equipment on and the forwards sit in the net without a mask? I mean, if we really want to turn hockey in a goddamn circus why half ass it?

They need to take more risks in OT and try to score. Maybe go with 3 forwards and one D, they already have a forward back checking most of the time anyways. They should also keep the shoot-out line up the same, Zetterberg, Datysuk and Bertuzzi/Flipulla. Williams isn't the guy I want shooting first.

Statistically Williams is very good on the shootout. I agree though, I want Datsuyk, Zetterberg, and Bertuzzi on the shootout with Filpulla filling in when Bert doesn't play.

If you lose the game, you should get no points. How hard is that to understand for the NHL? It doesn't matter if it was tied in regulation and you lost in OT/shootout.....you lost the game. Period. If you win the game, you get points. If you lose the game, you get no points. Quit rewarding teams for failing to do their jobs in the 60 minute allotted time period.

Shootouts are ******* lame. I'd feel that way if we were winning them all the time or losing them all the time.

If you lose the game, you should get no points. How hard is that to understand for the NHL? It doesn't matter if it was tied in regulation and you lost in OT/shootout.....you lost the game. Period. If you win the game, you get points. If you lose the game, you get no points. Quit rewarding teams for failing to do their jobs in the 60 minute allotted time period.

Shootouts are ******* lame. I'd feel that way if we were winning them all the time or losing them all the time.

I think the NHL gives a point for shoot out losses because they know they are unfair.

Guest zackmorris

Look at the shooting and save percentages of the worlds best shooters and goalies respectively. If that's not enough for you to start believing the shootout is not based on skill, but more luck and the ability to score on a breakaway and nothing else, I dunno what will.

3 point games are in place, solely, 100%, coooooompleeeeetely to make the playoff race more interesting. We're what? 8th or 9th? But at the same time, we're abotu 3 games away from either 12th or 4th place. Everyone is close in both conferences minus the top teams.

That's exactly what this league wants. And it sucks.

Guest Lidstromboli
I hate them too, there is nothing wrong with a tie. They are a victory for the team underdog. Now it's just like well you outlasted the opponent now lets see if you can do it without the Defense that was helping you stay in the game.

there are a lot of things with with ties

Guest lilja4mvp
Statistically Williams is very good on the shootout. I agree though, I want Datsuyk, Zetterberg, and Bertuzzi on the shootout with Filpulla filling in when Bert doesn't play.

career shootout % (prior to today):

datsyuk: 52.27

williams: 40.74

zetterberg: 30.56

bertuzzi: 30.43

filppula: 25.0 (1 for 4)

williams is the 2nd best shootout option on the wings, period. shootouts are one of the very few things jason williams does not totally suck at.

most LGW fans would probably still rather see zetterberg with another totally inept attempt in that #2 slot, though.

how did i know someone would say that. "williams is better at the shotoout, but i want to see the other guys go instead".

it's like thalf the wings fanbase is sniffing glue.

Id like to see babcock explore some other shooter options eg see what a defenceman can do?

I completely understand always putting datsyuk in, but agree that people like Miller should get more chances to show off. A lot of these guys have good hands and just don't get the chance to use them because they are on 3rd and 4th lines.

As long as Pittsburgh excels at them, they're here to stay. The moment they start to struggle, THEN the league might consider a change. :P