• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kozac

Is this Gordie Howe?

Rate this topic

Found a random cool picture on the internet. Is this Gordie?

hockey-noboards.jpg

I just got this picture in a frame for Christmas. That IS Gordie... and so is the other guy, though I don't remember his last name, I just remember thinking it was odd that they were both named Gordie.

Edited by Yzermaynard

Guest micah

As others have said, yes, that's Gordie Howe.

Those were the days. No helmets, nets or very low boards that the players would occasionally climb when the situation warranted, players who weren't wearing armoured suits (look at Gordie's barely-padded shoulders). Hockey is sometimes marketed as a rough game that it really takes a sack to play - but for better or for worse (and there is some better and some worse at play here) it really isn't played that way any more.

That check would result in 5 and a game today, along with a suspension if the guy going into the boards was hurt.

Edited by micah

That check would result in 5 and a game today, along with a suspension if the guy going into the boards was hurt.

Depends on if it was full speed or not.

Drapes gave a Pitt. player a couple shots like that into the boards standing still.

Either way, I think the league would implode if he was in the league today.

Guest micah
Depends on if it was full speed or not.

Look at the official's reaction. Either that play was at full speed or Johan Franzen's grandfather used to work for the League.

Look at the official's reaction. Either that play was at full speed or Johan Franzen's grandfather used to work for the League.

:D

However, another big difference between those days and now is the rate of said "full speed". The game was much slower, the players were smaller, the hits and the shots were weaker. The better protection came out of necessity. Seriously, how many guys had their feet broken by a puck even 10 years ago? Way less than today I'm sure.

I just did a little search on Gordies from Toronto, and there was a Gord Hannigan. His number was 22 and 23. The number on the back of that jersey looks like it is 23 or maybe a 29. And according to the website (http://www.nhluniforms.com) one stripe on the pants in 1955-1956 could have only been the Wings or Toronto. Any Red wing jersey beyond that had a number on the sleeve which you don't see in this photo.