• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rufio

Williams & Leino for Ponikarovski

Rate this topic

The Wings need to cut some forwards and this deal also sheds a tiny bit of salary. I think the likelihood of Burke accpeting a deal of this sort is pretty good as there is undeniable potential in Ville Leino and Jason Williams would fill in nicely (and cheaply) for the loss of Hagman.

Ponikarovski is not a star forward but Holland is not in a position to acquire a big contract without dropping an equally big one. Once the playoffs have begun, Ville Leino will become superfluous and I don't think Williams would be any more valuable than Ponikarovski. Furthermore it frees up roster and cap space so real third/fourth liners like Miller, Helm and Eaves can get ice time.

A deal of this sort is what will be needed to get anything in return for Ville Leino. Holland needs to avoid waivers like the plague so does anyone else think this could be a good option??

Edited by Rufio

I have to say it but i truley believe that Leino will make a turn around, maybe not this season but for fure next when everyones healthy. Im just saying what i believe and id keep him.

It's almost impossible for him to stick around. He's completely played himself off the team and Ken Holland cannot comply with the salary cap if he keeps players that aren't playing, on the books.

I agree he certainly could make a turnaround, but Holland is backed into a corner where he has no choice but to move players. Leino has given him no choice.

Guest Lidstromboli

haha, why would burke trade poni (19G, 20A so far this season) for a 20-30 point guy who has played more than 60 games once and a scrub who only has "potential" to his name

Although I understand the roster restrictions and cap implications of the Wings current situation, I would really hate to the Wings give up on Leino. I'm one of the posters here that still believes he has it in him to turn into a quality player in this league - albeit not anytime in the short term future.

It sucks that Holland's hand may be forced and if it is I'd hate to see Leino land in Toronto and one day turn into a player. I live in the Toronto area and can't handle all the know-it-all Leaf fans. That being said, Poni for Williams and Leino is a decent deal. Not great, maybe not even good, but it's decent.

haha, why would burke trade poni (19G, 20A so far this season) for a 20-30 point guy who has played more than 60 games once and a scrub who only has "potential" to his name

And he hasn't show any will either. Most likely Detroit would have to throw in a draft pick as well. And that scenario would work well for me and most likely Toronto as well, depending on the pick #.

I think people are undervaluing Ponikarovsky here. Granted, the guy turns 30 in April, and he hasn't had a particularly stellar career, but he had 23 goals last year, and could get 30 this year. He's also 6'4" 220 lbs. And I heard that Burke was trying to avoid losing him in either the Giguere or Phaneuf deals, and they did hold onto him. What would the Leafs benefit from dumping him for Williams and Leino?

Leino isn't in his early 20's either, and you'd have to think his trade value isn't that great when it's rumored he could be waived as early as tomorrow.

I do see some of the other posters point in thinking Ponikarovsky is being a bit undervalued here but being that I live in Toronto and watch a ton of Leaf games (usually against my will) I think many in the Leafs organization over value Poni - at times. That isn't to say that I think Williams and Leino for Poni is fair or even but Poni isn't the big body pressence many feel he can or should be.

At the end of the day I can't see the Leafs making this trade because they really are going to struggle to score goals for the rest of the season as it is and Williams + Leino is not a goal scoring upgrade over Ponikarovsky.

Plus, I don't particularly feel that Poni is what the Wings need or even want at the moment anyways.

The trade is not possible becasue we need to shed more then 200K in salary to get under the cap. You would need to find a player who makes a million or under for any trade to be worth while. Making a trade like that would solve nothing. You would still have to trade of cut lebda, meech and may if you made that deal and if my math is correct you still would be over the cap so who do you get rid of then maltby? Miller? Eaves? It makes no sense not trying to be a ****** but numbers are everything in this cap world and these numbers simply don't add up.

I have to say it but i truley believe that Leino will make a turn around, maybe not this season but for fure next when everyones healthy. Im just saying what i believe and id keep him.

It's almost impossible for him to stick around. He's completely played himself off the team and Ken Holland cannot comply with the salary cap if he keeps players that aren't playing, on the books.

I agree he certainly could make a turnaround, but Holland is backed into a corner where he has no choice but to move players. Leino has given him no choice.

Right on. Leino might end up being a player but you need to make choices and Miller has more than earned his right to stay. you gotta cut payroll and Leino will be one that is gone.