• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Best trade partner(s)?

Rate this topic

Who do you think is the most suited trade partner for the Wings for what we have expendable and for what we want in return?

Please do not name actual players from opposing teams coming back to Detroit, but rather just what team you think is the best candidate for a trade for Detroit and what you think Detroit would send out to them for exchange (ie. Lebda and Leino for picks, or Meech for a prospect, or Meech and Leino for a forward, etc...)

My personal choice, is the New York Islanders - They are a young, fast team that is still growing and needs speed on the back end.

Detroit could send Lebda and Leino to NY and in return, NY could send a late round pick or two and a mid level prospect to Detroit

BOTH Lebda and Leino would get immediate minutes on that roster, possibly even in top pairing situations with their lack of depth and youth and not add a ton of cap space to a frugal NY team (who has a TON of cap space to spare) - in return, Detroit gets future picks/prospects to develop while freeing up roster spots and cap space

as with all trades in the NHL, this would be a win/win - which are optimal.

Edited by stevkrause

Who do you think is the most suited trade partner for the Wings for what we have expendable and for what we want in return?

Please do not name actual players from opposing teams coming back to Detroit, but rather just what team you think is the best candidate for a trade for Detroit and what you think Detroit would send out to them for exchange (ie. Lebda and Leino for picks, or Meech for a prospect, or Meech and Leino for a forward, etc...)

My personal choice, is the New York Islanders - They are a young, fast team that is still growing and needs speed on the back end.

Detroit could send Lebda and Leino to NY and in return, NY could send a late round pick or two and a mid level prospect to Detroit

BOTH Lebda and Leino would get immediate minutes on that roster, possibly even in top pairing situations with their lack of depth and youth and not add a ton of cap space to a frugal NY team (who has a TON of cap space to spare) - in return, Detroit gets future picks/prospects to develop while freeing up roster spots and cap space

as with all trades in the NHL, this would be a win/win - which are optimal.

Possibly ATL as well, same package, same reasons.

Guest micah

Pittsburgh, we could use a little leadership, someone who knows how to be a Champion in this new NHL.

<hides>

Pittsburgh, we could use a little leadership, someone who knows how to be a Champion in this new NHL.

<hides>

With the numbers crunch we will be in soon and the fact that Holland probably doesn't want to waive/lose guys for nothing, I thought this was actually a decent topic for debate...

I shouldn't have expected anything more than stupid replies and smart-ass comments from this board.

my mistake.

Edited by stevkrause

With the numbers crunch we will be in soon and the fact that Holland probably doesn't want to waive/lose guys for nothing, I thought this was actually a decent topic for debate...

I shouldn't have expected anything more than stupid replies and smart-ass comments from this board.

my mistake.

I've been thinking about it but I just don't know mostly because I mean... Who would actually want what the Wings are trying to get rid of? First of all, someone who in their minds has a useless 2 million expiring cap hit that the Wings could use.

I think you are onto something Steve. My spin on it is to trade who we can out of that list for a young stay at home defencemen who has AHL eligibility left. That way he could play in grand rapids not costing us any cap space and be insurance in case of an injuy. The best case scenaro imo.

I've been thinking about it but I just don't know mostly because I mean... Who would actually want what the Wings are trying to get rid of? First of all, someone who in their minds has a useless 2 million expiring cap hit that the Wings could use.

That's why I'm thinking basement dwellers that are young and have a ton of cap space and are willing to take time to see how a guy develops (NYI, ATL) would be willing to take a chance on Leino and he could get top minutes there... I even think this would be a good deal for someone like CBJ, but I can't stand the thought of trading in division, especially if Leino ever does tap that potential...

Guest micah

my mistake.

Aww, you're gonna hurt the board's feelings. Don't be so glum, chum.

That's why I'm thinking basement dwellers that are young and have a ton of cap space and are willing to take time to see how a guy develops (NYI, ATL) would be willing to take a chance on Leino and he could get top minutes there... I even think this would be a good deal for someone like CBJ, but I can't stand the thought of trading in division, especially if Leino ever does tap that potential...

Maybe it doesn't have to be for a player. Maybe they can trade for a prospect that a pure toughness team like Philly or whatever who gambled on a skill guy in the later rounds but no longer wants. Then again, why would they want anything the Wings have to get rid of. Ah well, you get my point, maybe a skilled prospect that doesn't thrive in one system that the Wings are willing to take a risk on. I shall do a little research and come up with some ideas for later.

Atlanta's not in the basement this year though

my mistake.

its just micah. he always make comments like that

i could see maybe edmonton or carolina, they both are doing bad this year and might want to add a few people with a little expierence

I think they'd both be good candidates, for some reason though, I just don't see the Wings ever dealing with Carolina due to the bad blood and the competitive nature of their owners...

I more meant perennial basement dwellers, which they have been... and even this year, they're not exactly lighting the world ablaze, they're in 11th place in the east...

6 Philadelphia Flyers 59

7 Montréal Canadiens 58

8 Tampa Bay Lightning 57

9 Florida Panthers 57

10 New York Rangers 57

11 Atlanta Thrashers 56

12 Boston Bruins 55

13 New York Islanders 54

I agree that Atlanta (and the Islanders) are typically "basement dwellers," but it's a little misleading to say they're in 11th place.

They're mired in the playoff mix that is the Eastern Conference.

I'd say 1-5 are a lock for the playoffs, while Toronto and Carolina have little hope.

6-13 are separated by all of 5 points.

(Hmm... do we know of a certain other team that's stuck in a similar situation?)

Anyway, Atlanta is in the middle of this mess and can make the playoffs.

They've just got to get the right pieces for Kovalchuk to keep themselves in it.

6 Philadelphia Flyers 59

7 Montréal Canadiens 58

8 Tampa Bay Lightning 57

9 Florida Panthers 57

10 New York Rangers 57

11 Atlanta Thrashers 56

12 Boston Bruins 55

13 New York Islanders 54

I agree that Atlanta (and the Islanders) are typically "basement dwellers," but it's a little misleading to say they're in 11th place.

They're mired in the playoff mix that is the Eastern Conference.

I'd say 1-5 are a lock for the playoffs, while Toronto and Carolina have little hope.

6-13 are separated by all of 5 points.

(Hmm... do we know of a certain other team that's stuck in a similar situation?)

Anyway, Atlanta is in the middle of this mess and can make the playoffs.

They've just got to get the right pieces for Kovalchuk to keep themselves in it.

even with this said though, this still makes them a viable candidate - what do they have to lose by giving up a prospect and a late round pick to take a flier on Ville Leino and Brett Lebda... they get a speedy d-man on the back end that would be better than Popovic and a bare minimum, a good insurance in case of injury and take a chance on the untapped potential of Leino... they have tons of cap space, and both players would be very small hits for them...

For anyone who thinks that no one in the league would be interested in what the Wings would be looking to move I need to point out that if Jason Blake and his terrible contract can be moved than anyone can be.

I live in Toronto and had to watch Blake on a regular basis. Honestly, in my opinion, he has the absolute worst contract in the league and brings very, very, very little to his team. Maybe he'll turn it around in Anaheim, maybe he won't. The point is he had next to no value and yet he was moved.

As much as some ppl on this forum may dislike guys like Meech, Lebda, Leino etc. there are other teams who see potential in them, who don't know all of their bad tendencies, who are willing to take chances. The fact is anyone can be moved in this league if the right deal comes along.

For anyone who thinks that no one in the league would be interested in what the Wings would be looking to move I need to point out that if Jason Blake and his terrible contract can be moved than anyone can be.

I live in Toronto and had to watch Blake on a regular basis. Honestly, in my opinion, he has the absolute worst contract in the league and brings very, very, very little to his team. Maybe he'll turn it around in Anaheim, maybe he won't. The point is he had next to no value and yet he was moved.

As much as some ppl on this forum may dislike guys like Meech, Lebda, Leino etc. there are other teams who see potential in them, who don't know all of their bad tendencies, who are willing to take chances. The fact is anyone can be moved in this league if the right deal comes along.

exactly... especially a team with a glut of defensive minded, big, slower, d-men *cough* NYI *cough* could probably use someone like Lebda and he might even step up his game being relied on heavier...

I just think the Islanders are such a perfect trade partner, as it would be a pure win/win which is what all GM's shoot for...

Edited by stevkrause