• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Best trade partner(s)?

Rate this topic

Sorry, I didn't mean to drag this off topic to a conversation about who's gonna make the playoffs or not.

...and you're absolutely right. I think these guys could be welcome additions to either of those clubs.

(Although I guess Lebda to the Isle would hurt just as much as him being a Red Wing.)

Lebda provides not only the offensive minded defenseman need but also playoff/cup winning experience.

The more and more I think about it, and as much as I'd love to get a scoring winger for them, we're getting picks for these guys not players.

By these guys I mean our expendables: Lebda, Meech, Leino.

Sorry, I didn't mean to drag this off topic to a conversation about who's gonna make the playoffs or not.

...and you're absolutely right. I think these guys could be welcome additions to either of those clubs.

(Although I guess Lebda to the Isle would hurt just as much as him being a Red Wing.)

Lebda provides not only the offensive minded defenseman need but also playoff/cup winning experience.

The more and more I think about it, and as much as I'd love to get a scoring winger for them, we're getting picks for these guys not players.

By these guys I mean our expendables: Lebda, Meech, Leino.

exactly... we're capped out, so we can't really trade for players by this point, just prospects/picks...

exactly... especially a team with a glut of defensive minded, big, slower, d-men *cough* NYI *cough* could probably use someone like Lebda and he might even step up his game being relied on heavier...

I just think the Islanders are such a perfect trade partner, as it would be a pure win/win which is what all GM's shoot for...

You weren't kidding!!

Witt on waivers

You weren't kidding!!

Witt on waivers

If Witt weren't overpaid.....ha truth be told, I actually kind of like Witt, but obviously not for that cash.

Everyone here is right though. The Wings won't be trading for a roster player - as it stands right now. The only way that could really happen, in my opinion, is if Lilja can't come back and someone is willing to take some combination of May/Lein/Lebda or Meech for a roster player. Either way, we wouldnt receive much of a player in return for that. I think we'll most likely see some picks and/or prospects in return for what we may end up moving.

The only other way we'd get a roster player via trade is if we moved a current roster player which we all know rarely happens in Detroit (at least in the Holland era).

Besides, with all the guys who have returned from injury and with Franzen coming back soon I'm not entirely sure we need to add another roster player. Well, at least until thigns settle and we can see what our needs are.

I think our lines of:

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Cleary

Williams - Filppula - Miller

Draper - Helm - Eaves

or whatever other combos ppl like

competitive around the league

If Witt weren't overpaid.....ha truth be told, I actually kind of like Witt, but obviously not for that cash.

He's a feisty SOB. Have liked him in the games I've seen him play for the Isles, but seriously overpaid.

I personally don't see a team outside the bubble going after meech, leino, Lebda or May. If your outside looking in your looking for someone who is going to trade a difference maker more player-player trades if your outside looking in your not going to want to trade your prospect on a hope that the player being traded is going to make as big as difference as the possible prospect. That being said its a excellent opportunity for a one of the top 8 team in the NHL to maybe add someone with some playoff experience for really nothing. Like maybe Buffalo. The teams in the top of the league know Detroit need to get rid of players and are looking only at cap space this team can afford to give up prospects if the trade has the potential to strengthen them for there playoff run. Especially player that have played in a few playoffs in there time and have been successful. So I am thinking more successful team will be the team looking to trade with Detroit potentially big reward at a rather tiny cost without disrupting there current lineup.

I personally don't see a team outside the bubble going after meech, leino, Lebda or May. If your outside looking in your looking for someone who is going to trade a difference maker more player-player trades if your outside looking in your not going to want to trade your prospect on a hope that the player being traded is going to make as big as difference as the possible prospect. That being said its a excellent opportunity for a one of the top 8 team in the NHL to maybe add someone with some playoff experience for really nothing. Like maybe Buffalo. The teams in the top of the league know Detroit need to get rid of players and are looking only at cap space this team can afford to give up prospects if the trade has the potential to strengthen them for there playoff run. Especially player that have played in a few playoffs in there time and have been successful. So I am thinking more successful team will be the team looking to trade with Detroit potentially big reward at a rather tiny cost without disrupting there current lineup.

The only problem with this train of thought, is that teams competing will be looking for guys to make an impact, not necessarily "role players" or projects for their case(ie Leino, Lebda) and are most likely up against the cap anyway and will need to make a player for player trade, which Detroit can't do... I think a lower level team would be more likely to bring in guys with potential(Leino) or experience(Lebda) and give up LOW level prospects(keep in mind, I'm not talking gems here) for immediate return...

I have no reasoning for saying this but I think Minnesota. Just what I feel.

I guess it's possible... Mikko Koivu and Leino may work well together, as they're countrymen, with somewhat similar styles and they could use some speed on the back end with Lebda... aren't they already dangerously close to the cap though?

I guess it's possible... Mikko Koivu and Leino may work well together, as they're countrymen, with somewhat similar styles and they could use some speed on the back end with Lebda... aren't they already dangerously close to the cap though?

I think they are close to the ceiling. They seem to enjoy the Finnish. Perhaps that's why I thought of them.

Minny:

OVERALL SUMMARY

Allowable salary through 126 days $37,081,865

Salary through 126 days $37,479,699

Salary less bonuses through 126 days $36,986,798

LTI exemption through 126 days $0

Remaining salary over 67 days $19,908,440

Remaining LTI exemption over 67 days $1,416,373

Salary cap $56,800,000

Projected final cap number $55,971,766

Potential performance bonuses $755,000

Cushioned projected final $55,216,766

Cap space $1,583,234

Acquisition space (full-season cap hit) $4,560,659

St. Louis seems to fit your idea of a team looking to add experience. Think they'd want to part with impending UFA Colaiacovo as a Wings sixth/seventh defenceman?

The next time we're in the mood for a scrappy, speedy forward, I want Dallas' Brian Sutherby at $812,000.

With the numbers crunch we will be in soon and the fact that Holland probably doesn't want to waive/lose guys for nothing, I thought this was actually a decent topic for debate...

I shouldn't have expected anything more than stupid replies and smart-ass comments from this board.

my mistake.

Don't be so sensitive.

St. Louis seems to fit your idea of a team looking to add experience. Think they'd want to part with impending UFA Colaiacovo as a Wings sixth/seventh defenceman?

The next time we're in the mood for a scrappy, speedy forward, I want Dallas' Brian Sutherby at $812,000.

You very rarely see in-division trades, but if they're willing to give up a little more in the terms of what prospect(s)/pick(s) other teams will... I agree, they definitely fit for their needs...

Edited by stevkrause

Who would actually want what the Wings are trying to get rid of? First of all, someone who in their minds has a useless 2 million expiring cap hit that the Wings could use.

Columbus should (dunno about the GM), but they are in the Central, too. They have one guy who has seen the other side of 35 on the team and will probably get a good draft spot (not sure what they've traded already). On the upside, anyone who got traded and didn't want to move away permanently would still be pretty close to "home". I would rather a team in the East, though - second-guessing early round playoff exits is frustrating.