• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingfan40

Slava Kozlov back to Detroit?

Rate this topic

Red Wings-Thrashers rumor 2: Slava Kozlov back to Detroit?

By George Malik

February 05, 2010, 6:58AM

I have little clue as to how the Red Wings would manage the salary cap implications of the following proposed trade, but the Fourth Period's David Pagnotta, who suggested that the Wings were interested in now-New Jersey Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk on Thursday, has posited another Red Wings-Atlanta Thrashers rumor:

February 5, The Fourth Period: So as the Devils gear up for what's expected to be another Stanley Cup run, the Thrashers are left pondering the immediate future. With Kovalchuk gone, what does that mean for the likes of Slava Kozlov, Colby Armstrong, Todd White and Maxim Afinogenov?The Thrashers aren't finished dealing. But they aren't necessarily sellers.

"We're looking daily," Waddell acknowledged. "If there's a fit out there that makes some sense, I'm certainly going to look at it."

Kozlov has a no-trade clause and will have to approve any deal the team tries to make, but with the Kings, Detroit Red Wings and Flyers supposedly interested, there's a good chance he says 'yes'.

Per Matthew Wuest's Capgeek.com, Kozlov's cap hit for the entire year is $3.67 million, and as the Wings would have exactly 20 games remaining as of the March 3rd trade deadline, they'd have to find a way to squeeze in 0.2439 percent of Kozlov's cap hit...

(pause while I punch numbers into the calculator)

Or $894,308, give or take a few thousand dollars, unless salary went the other way, and as the Wings already have to move about $700,000 to simply accommodate the returns of Andreas Lilja and Johan Franzen, we'd be talking about at least waiving/trading Ville Leino, sending Brad May to Grand Rapids, and moving one of Brett Lebda or Derek Meech.

Red Wings GM Ken Holland is doubtlessly kicking every tire, however, and he said this to MLive.com's own Ansar Khan:

February 5, MLive.com: Holland said he’s talked “a little bit’’ with potential trade partners as the Red Wings face a Monday deadline to trim at least one player and roughly $700,000 from their roster prior to Johan Franzen’s scheduled return to the lineup Tuesday in St. Louis. The Red Wings can only acquire a draft pick or future considerations in return. And when teams know you must move a player or two or lose them on waivers, that makes it harder to deal.

“All you can do is call around, get the word out,’’ Holland said.

If he is unable to make a trade, Holland said the only other option is to waive a player or two.

I can't see the Wings trading a defenseman away due to concerns about depth, Brett Lebda's status as Snapshots' official "Fire Millen" included, so file this under, "At least Pagnotta's talking about something in the realm of possibility, but it's still unlikely given that Jason Williams is currently centering the fourth line."

Before all the experts come in here to say how ridiculous this is, I think it would be a decent move. At least to stop the bleeding for a while. I've always had a soft spot for Kozlov, and I think he'd fit in pretty well being one of Pavel's trigger men. I don't know, maybe it's the thought of seeing the old #13 and the new #13 play together, but I think It would be a decent move.

Any change I would welcome, this one would bring back good memories too..

mind, we don't always see eye to eye...but i agree 1000%!! fantastic memories they are!!

now lets see if it can be done without sacrificing too much....

I'm not one to so easily get on the Nostalgia Bus.

In 50 Games Played he has 8 goals, 15 assists, and he will be 38 years old in May.

Clutch in the playoffs, okay... but when was the last time Kozzie saw the playoffs?

Does he still have it?

He is a UFA after this year.

I mean, does he want to retire a Red Wing?

Well, that's nice and everything, but I don't know if this makes much sense for us.

I would really rather a deal done with the thrashers for Afinoganov & Esposito-we ship them Williams & Leino & Lebda....

.....it may not be fair to trade Williams as hes lost most of his season but I like him as trade bait, and this trade would solve cap issues fo sho.

Franzen•Datsyuk•Holstrom

Afinoganov•Z•Cleary

Esposito•Flip•Miller

Drapes•Helm•Eaves/Malts

Norris Nick•Raffi

Stuart•Ericcsson

Kronner•Janik/Kindl

I'm not one to so easily get on the Nostalgia Bus.

In 50 Games Played he has 8 goals, 15 assists, and he will be 38 years old in May.

Clutch in the playoffs, okay... but when was the last time Kozzie saw the playoffs?

Does he still have it?

He is a UFA after this year.

I mean, does he want to retire a Red Wing?

Well, that's nice and everything, but I don't know if this makes much sense for us.

Agreed.

Even though he's had strong numbers the last five years (save for 07/08) his numbers this year have fallen way off. His cap hit is way too big for what we can work with. Personally, if we were to deal with the Thrashers I'd rather see a deal for Afinoganov.

I would really rather a deal done with the thrashers for Afinoganov & Esposito-we ship them Williams & Leino & Lebda....

.....it may not be fair to trade Williams as hes lost most of his season but I like him as trade bait, and this trade would solve cap issues fo sho.

Franzen•Datsyuk•Holstrom

Afinoganov•Z•Cleary

Esposito•Flip•Miller

Drapes•Helm•Eaves/Malts

Norris Nick•Raffi

Stuart•Ericcsson

Kronner•Janik/Kindl

You left out Bertuzzi. In your trade proposal I think it'd be something more like:

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Cleary

Afinoganov - Filppula - Miller

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Maltby

You left out Bertuzzi. In your trade proposal I think it'd be something more like:

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Maltby

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Daddy like those lines!! That is 4 great lines! I would like that as long as we don't have to give up prospects. I don't think Maxim's cap hit would be as much as Kozzie's either!

Personally, if we were to deal with the Thrashers I'd rather see a deal for Afinoganov.

<_<

I agree, but that's not going to happen. He's worth every cent of that $800,000 he's making.

In 55 games -- 17 goals and 27 assists / 44pts.

[sarcasm]

...and with Atlanta being in the middle of the playoff hunt??

(At least that's what Waddell would love his fanbase to believe.)

I guess we could trade Leino for Maxim. They make the same amount of money!!! :scared:

[/sarcasm]

Yes, because it is now evident that Waddell will take just about anyone for quality pieces.

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Maltby

:thumbup: oh my gosh lol I can't believe I forgot big Bert!

And your Lines are sick!! Get it done Kenny

<_<

I agree, but that's not going to happen. He's worth every cent of that $800,000 he's making.

In 55 games -- 17 goals and 27 assists / 44pts.

[sarcasm]

...and with Atlanta being in the middle of the playoff hunt??

(At least that's what Waddell would love his fanbase to believe.)

I guess we could trade Leino for Maxim. They make the same amount of money!!! :scared:

[/sarcasm]

I defintely see what you're saying and you're probably right. That being said, with the departure of Kovalchuk I think all bets are off on some of the other Russian players on that team. You know Antropov can't be all too happy as I believe it was public knowledge a big part of why he signed in Atlanta was to play with Kovalchuk. Afinoganov's situation is obviously different. He was a guy that all but couldn't get a contract in this league last summer. Atlanta takes a chance on him and one has to wonder how much input Kovalchuk had on that move as well. In my mind both Antropov and Afinoganov can't be too happy with yesterday's trade with the Devils. I think Max may be more available than we might think.

As well as Afinoganov has done and as good as those lines look on paper who knows how they'd mesh. To me though, an Afinoganov - Filppula - Miller line has all the tools that a solid line needs. Speed, skill, grit, hard work, defensive ability, timely scoring and on top of all of that, they're young.

Yes, I too would rather have Maxim Afinogenov!!! He's way cheaper too. More realistic and I've wanted him in Detroit for a LONG time. Ever since seeing the chemistry that he and Datsyuk have (in the Worlds I think it was).