• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dobbles

Leino to Flyers for Tollefsen and a 5th Rounder

Rate this topic

This should also tell you that the Wings likely won't be making any major trades. They probably would've tried to do it now as opposed to later. Just as Kenny said, any trades we might see will be dollar for dollar most likely, as in, don't get too excited.

Being the finnish league top scorer is good but nothing special. Its different sized ice and a way softer league. Its comparable to the WHL probably and I'm sure at whatever age Leino is he would dominate that league too. Those 14 games last season he was running on adrenaline. This year with a weaker team he showed really how bad his skating was and had no way to handle physical play.

In return we got a 5th round pick, not bad. We dumped some salary, not bad. AND we got a solid 6th defenseman who can hit and fight something our system lacks completely. He's also only 25 and played over 100 NHL games. He's proven to handle the physicallity of the league and we can very well turn him into what Lilja was last year, except more effective at the physical part.

After seeing what Leino had to offer this year and the fact that he's a little baby refusing to be sent down I'm sure Holland would've made this trade. I'm sick of all these pri madonna europeans thinking theyre gods gift to hockey that the wings have been drafting.

Either draft Euro's out of North American Juniors or draft North American.

I agree that Finnish league is no where near as tough as the NHL. Still, it's the toughest league in Europe. Tougher than KHL in my opinion. It's easily tougher and much better than something like WHL. I would say Finnish league is comparable to AHL, with AHL being a little tougher and Finnish league having little more skill.

I'm not defending Leino here, just saying. Leino isn't as tough as the typical Finnish players are. He's more like a Russian.

Either draft Euro's out of North American Juniors or draft North American.

I know, right? The Wings record with drafting those damn Euro's sure does stink!

Look at these bums; Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Holmstrom, Fischer, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hudler, Filppula..................and on and on and on

You're probably best off admitting the FACT that the Wings would NEVER have dominated the NHL over the past 15 years if it weren't for their pioneering and development of the Europena draft.

:lol:

Dude, the Thrashers just traded one of the best offensive players in the last decade for nobodies.

Leino is a worthless player, and we got a guy in return who can actually do something right, unlike Leino.

Quit your whining and support your GM. He's smarter than you are you know. I just hate these posters who whine about every little thing Holland does or does not do.

Uh, Our GM is supposed to be smarter than Atlanta's GM, and is said to be one of the smartest in the league, I mean the Kovie deal is par for the course for the Thrashers, Detroit on the other hand use to be know for savvy deals that like the Stuart deal, that added a part we needed for 2 draft picks, this deal was for a low draft pick and a D-man that wasnt even a depth move. I believe giving up on Leino could easily come back and bite us, granted he has had a bad season, but, he wasn't in a fair situation, he was expected to help replace multiple established first/second line players in his first year, and do it after a lot more talent was taken out of the line up due to injuries. If the Wings had gotten a 3rd or 2nd I would have said it was a good deal, but this is ridiculous.

PS Knowing that there are idiots out there like Burke and which ever janitor runs the thrashers, why didn't we trade him there and get Kessel and Kaberle for Leino and Lebda?

Edited by Shaman464

Yes, because dump and chase is the way god intended hockey to be played.

Well ******* sure weren't what god intended to play hockey and thats what detroit has had on their hands. Leino was a puss, Ryno was a mommas boy puss and Axelson was a puss bursting with potential.

I would rather draft people who are gonna play dump and chase in North America then draft people who are gonna play like little girls from europe and stay in europe for their whole careers.

I'm pretty sure every North American the wings have drafted none have refused time in GR when its needed. We've had 3 the last 2 seasons do it from Europe.

I find it hilarious...

LGW Boards Pre Trade:

"Leino is soft and sucks he sucks he sucks makes Lang look the opposite of Lazy and Sucks"

Post-trade:

"How did we not get more than that. Holland Sucks Holland Sucks"

SugarHoneyIcedTea people on this board are never satisfied are they???

This should also tell you that the Wings likely won't be making any major trades. They probably would've tried to do it now as opposed to later. Just as Kenny said, any trades we might see will be dollar for dollar most likely, as in, don't get too excited.

I'm still pretty excited. I mean, Lebda leaving? Come on, that doesn't get you even a little excited?

I know, right? The Wings record with drafting those damn Euro's sure does stink!

Look at these bums; Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Holmstrom, Fischer, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hudler, Filppula..................and on and on and on

You're probably best off admitting the FACT that the Wings would NEVER have dominated the NHL over the past 15 years if it weren't for their pioneering and development of the Europena draft.

Yeah they got all those steals before drafting out of Europe was really done that much and before the KHL came around.

I'm not saying draft 0 europeans but they shouldn't focus their drafting on eauropeans like they used to because the steals are going to be coming less and less teh way its scouted now and with the KHL who knows who will come over to play here when they could stay there and make more money.

I'm pretty sure every North American the wings have drafted none have refused time in GR when its needed. We've had 3 the last 2 seasons do it from Europe.

It's probably easier for them since they don't have to travel so far from home and the culture in which they're used to.

Yeah they got all those steals before drafting out of Europe was really done that much and before the KHL came around.

I'm not saying draft 0 europeans but they shouldn't focus their drafting on eauropeans like they used to because the steals are going to be coming less and less teh way its scouted now and with the KHL who knows who will come over to play here when they could stay there and make more money.

Well ******* sure weren't what god intended to play hockey and thats what detroit has had on their hands. Leino was a puss, Ryno was a mommas boy puss and Axelson was a puss bursting with potential.

I would rather draft people who are gonna play dump and chase in North America then draft people who are gonna play like little girls from europe and stay in europe for their whole careers.

I think this has nothing to do with playing philosophy. The modern style (=Babcock's style) is mostly about passing and puck possession, not so much about dumping and chasing. Just because you can actually play hockey, doesn't mean you're a *****.

I think this has nothing to do with playing philosophy. The modern style (=Babcock's style) is mostly about passing and puck possession, not so much about dumping and chasing. Just because you can actually play hockey, doesn't mean you're a *****.

True but you do need some apes running around recklessly.

Uh, Our GM is supposed to be smarter than Atlanta's GM, and is said to be one of the smartest in the league, I mean the Kovie deal is par for the course for the Thrashers, Detroit on the other hand use to be know for savvy deals that like the Stuart deal, that added a part we needed for 2 draft picks, this deal was for a low draft pick and a D-man that wasnt even a depth move. I believe giving up on Leino could easily come back and bite us, granted he has had a bad season, but, he wasn't in a fair situation, he was expected to help replace multiple established first/second line players in his first year, and do it after a lot more talent was taken out of the line up due to injuries. If the Wings had gotten a 3rd or 2nd I would have said it was a good deal, but this is ridiculous.

The league is evolving every day. The economics of yesterdays cap years are profoundly different than even today's cap economics, and we're talking about a four year context here. It's nowhere near as easy to pull a deal out of a hat as it was a few years ago simply as more teams are competitive than ever.

There's only 1 team in the West that has no chance, and 2 teams with minimal chance. That leaves 12 teams with legitimate shots at making the top 8 and 2 more that could get in the running real quick.

And in the East you've got 5 points separating 13th place and 8th place. The top 5 teams are probably locked up as they've got a ten point lead, but there's 8 teams fighting for the 3 remaining playoff spots with a point range of 54-60. Again, 13th place - 54 points and 6th place - 60 points.

It's going to be a real tough year for teams looking to make moves as not a lot of teams are going to be unloading guys when they still stand a chance to make the playoffs. And on top of that, that's more teams looking for the missing piece.

I agree that in many ways Leino got a raw deal, and I do think it was unfair to expect so much out of Leino in his rookie year. I called this rough season before the season even started. I also thought he'd stick around until at least the next training camp, but again, there's only so much you can do with the cap and I don't think anyone really thought Lilja would be back this season.

All things considered, it was a necessary move. Not a great move or a bad move, but one that ultimately had to be done. Not much else you can really say about it.

I'm still pretty excited. I mean, Lebda leaving? Come on, that doesn't get you even a little excited?

You know, you're right. That will be a HUGE move for this team... :lol:

Lebda's one of the few guys we've had around that deserves at least 25-30% of the criticism he gets. Maybe more...

And that actually says a LOT.

yeah, guys like Jiri Fischer, man what a puss....

Xenophobia

yeah, guys like Jiri Fischer, man what a puss....

Xenophobia

When did I say Ficsher was a puss?

I said Leino, Ryno and Axelson were. I would love more guys like Fish on our team.

Bottom line is guys from Europe are acting like its their right to play in the NHL and don't wanna earn it. Back in the day they were happy to come over and play in the worlds best league. Now they run and hide in the KHL

We will have to see what Leino can do from afar, since he will take off and play at home. I am not at all worried about his "potential".

This team needed scoring, needed people to step up because of injuries, there was no better time for someone to show something, if they had something to show. And yet this guy was a healthy scratch. Must have work ethic problems or something, Kenny knows better than we do!

I feel bad for Leino. I was hoping that he would do well as a Wing. I hope that things work out for him in Philly, although he does not seem to fit the mold of a Flyer.

When did I say Ficsher was a puss?

I said Leino, Ryno and Axelson were. I would love more guys like Fish on our team.

Bottom line is guys from Europe are acting like its their right to play in the NHL and don't wanna earn it. Back in the day they were happy to come over and play in the worlds best league. Now they run and hide in the KHL

"I would rather draft people who are gonna play dump and chase in North America then draft people who are gonna play like little girls from europe and stay in europe for their whole careers."

Not being xenophobic?

And what do you mean exactly by saying "acting like it's their right to play in the NHL"? You mean NA players deserve playing in the NHL more than players outside NA? NHL wouldn't be the best league in the world without players outside NA.

Edited by Finnish Wing