74 replies to this topic

#41 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

http://www.mlive.com...e_leino_to.html

“I don’t know if he’s just gotten worn down over time,’’ coach Mike Babcock said. “Today wasn’t his best day. Probably disappointed himself. No one battles harder than Stewie, he’s been great for us all year. So it’s disappointing for him.’’

I think he just misses his buddy Kronner.

#42 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

The problem with Stuart is that his giveaways have been epic... somehow they seem to end up in the net on a semi-regular basis. Rafalski gives the puck away with regularity, but he has Lidstrom as a backup... that helps.

Stuart will be fine. He is just infuriating to watch lately.

Let's hope he gets back on track... along with the rest of the team.

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#43 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

So uh..... We kinda need ya.

#44 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (RainingBlood @ February 6, 2010 - 05:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4.5 million a season for this? Ive never been so sick of seeing a player since Anders Eriksson. Also his whopping 2 goals and 9 assists to go along with his -11.

While his pass leading to the Kings first goal was something to be forgotten about, overall he has had a good season.

#45 RainingBlood

RainingBlood

Well thats my momma

• PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ February 6, 2010 - 11:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While his pass leading to the Kings first goal was something to be forgotten about, overall he has had a good season.

Stuart has had a few turnovers this season that have led to goals that have cost the Wings. His problem is he thinks going up the center of the ice to clear the puck or make an outlet pass is a good idea. You learn in peewee to use the boards.

Edited by RainingBlood, 07 February 2010 - 12:44 AM.

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ February 6, 2010 - 08:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They both sucked to me. Stuart f***ed up while Ericsson stood around and let him.

What a terrible pairing. WTF is Babcock thinking?

hysterical.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#47 Drapez

Drapez

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:49 AM

All things being equal, based purely on cap hit, id rather have Stuart more than any other defenseman on this team.

Lidstrom isn't a $7.45 million dollar player. Rafalski, despite DEM POINTZ, isn't worth $6.5 million. In the same sense Kovalchuk isn't worth $11 million to anyone but Atlanta. Ive got a feeling Holland was under the impression that Lidstrom was leaving last season or sooner when he signed Rafalski to his ridiculous contract WITH a NTC.

Kronwall isn't better than Stuart defensively and outside of the occasional center ice hit, Kronwall isn't as physical. Kronwall is obviously more gifted offensively but not nearly enough to make up for his defensive lapses.

In the cap era, you cannot spend $14 million on your top pairing and expect to compete.

#48 umredwing11

umredwing11

Ohh Hot Damn, Dan Is The Man

• PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (Uncle Danny @ February 6, 2010 - 08:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This might be the single greatest typo I have ever seen. Shoot, I might start using that one on purpose. Thank you, LfL.

As for Stuart, he's been pretty brutal of late. But, honestly, can you say you're surprised? He played lights out for much of the first half of the season, and is a large reason we're still even mentioning the word "playoffs" next to a phrase like "might still make." One of the biggest knocks on Stuart over his career has been consistency. So a player, known for ups and downs, who overachieved for some months has suddenly hit a slump? ZOMG. TRADE HIM FOR A BAG OF PUCKS! GET MURPH BACK ON THE ICE! WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS ONE COMING?!?!?!?

Meh. Even with his recent performances, the dude has exceeded my expectations for him this year. I think we all know that pointing the finger at any one player in only a handful of games (good or bad...mostly bad) for our situation this season is foolish.

Oh, and to whoever said Ericsson + Stuart == bad idea: Yes. Very good call.

What he said clap.gif

#49 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (Feldmarschall @ February 6, 2010 - 06:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stewie's stats show a problem any shut-down defenseman's stats will show - he doesn't generate offense so his plus/minus suffers, and to make things worse he's often paired with sub-par offensive players thanks to the Wings' numerous injuries. The first half of the season, he was spot on. His plus/minus doesn't show it, but one stat doesn't tell the whole story. I'd wager a guess that he's one of the best on the back end if you measured his performance in goals against per minute of icetime. He took hard matchups consistently, dealt with whatever garbage linemate he had, and was the best damn PKer on the team.

He's fallen off badly lately, however. Some criticism is warranted. He was a premier shutdown defenseman up until the last several games, probably the only guy consistently winning his battles and taking his assignments properly. Now he's in a downswing. Too bad that as Lidstrom and Rafalski make a push, Stuart is at a low point and Kronwall reinjured himself.

It's always something... but Stuart will come back from it. All good players do.

Not even close. He's better than E, but that's about it.

Nick - 1.86GA/60T, 1.92GA/60ES, 4.00GA/60SH
Raf - 1.95GA/60T, 1.94GA/60ES, 4.62GA/60SH
Meech - 2.09GA/60T, 2.39GA/60ES, 0.00GA/60SH
Lebda - 2.34GA/60T, 2.39GA/60ES, 0.00GA/60SH
Nik - 2.50GA/60T, 1.97GA/60ES, 9.00GA/60SH
Stu - 3.45GA/60T, 2.72GA/60ES, 8.57GA/60SH
E - 4.33GA/60T, 3.80GA/60ES, 7.78GA/60SH

Those are goals against per 60 minutes of ice time. Total, even strength, and on the PK.

Posted Image

#50 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (Drapez @ February 7, 2010 - 01:49AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All things being equal, based purely on cap hit, id rather have Stuart more than any other defenseman on this team.

Lidstrom isn't a $7.45 million dollar player. Rafalski, despite DEM POINTZ, isn't worth $6.5 million. In the same sense Kovalchuk isn't worth $11 million to anyone but Atlanta. Ive got a feeling Holland was under the impression that Lidstrom was leaving last season or sooner when he signed Rafalski to his ridiculous contract WITH a NTC.

Kronwall isn't better than Stuart defensively and outside of the occasional center ice hit, Kronwall isn't as physical. Kronwall is obviously more gifted offensively but not nearly enough to make up for his defensive lapses.

In the cap era, you cannot spend $14 million on your top pairing and expect to compete.

Based purely on cap hit I'd take Meech's sub-$500K over anyone. Cap hit plus the play out on the ice? Nick. No ifs, ands, or buts.

The top pairing is the only thing keeping us respectable right now. Granted it could be around $8-9M and still be as effective (swap out Raf for anyone else), but thems the breaks.

Posted Image

#51 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (Drapez @ February 7, 2010 - 02:49AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They did a pretty good job competing for the last couple years on that. It's sort of the Red Wings' entire philosophy.

After playing so well for the first half of the year Stuart has tanked hard lately. The Olympic break can't come soon enough and hopefully he can use the time off to get his head on straight.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#52 hokeychik22

hokeychik22

leapin' lou fontinato

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (brett @ February 6, 2010 - 09:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
trade ericsson and lebda for quiency!!

keep ericsson, sine he has sat that one game he looks better. he will be fine.

lebda trade, (someone from rww calls him tradebait even) don't know who we'd get for him though

#53 Wingooni_19

Wingooni_19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

whether stuart sucks or not is irrevelent....Wings have to work with what they have including stuart. I do not see him getting traded!

#54 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Jericho613 @ February 6, 2010 - 06:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Stuart's stats would look better if Kronwall wasn't hurt so much this year. Granted Stuart has his frustrating moments (Game 7 in the finals).

Game 7 forever tarnished him in my eyes.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#55 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

hehas had a bad 2nd half so far, hopefully he turns it around to his play early in the season
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#56 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

stuart needs a rest and regroup. he logged in more even strength time and short handed time then lids!

#57 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (clutchngrab @ February 7, 2010 - 12:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Game 7 forever tarnished him in my eyes.

Me too.

Kind of like Michael Corleone holding a grudge on his brother in law for Santino's death.

I'll never forgive Stuart for Game 7.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#58 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

Stuart gets into trouble when he doesn't keep his game simple. Lately he's been trying to block passes in the crease, knock down shots as they go to the net blink.gif , make passes that are too risky etc. I think all of our Defensemen should put their back to a mirror and see what it says on the jersey. If it doesn't say Lidstrom on the back, then you need to simplify your game. Play sound position, play the body in front, make smart, simple play's etc. Simple as that really.

Every time a goal goes in lately it seems Stuart or Ericsson is doing something retarded in front of the net. Rafalski's numbers would be just as awful if he played on the 3rd pair IMO. Lebda and Meech are much either, hopefully Lebda can be moved now.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#59 Stiffy

Stiffy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ February 7, 2010 - 05:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too.

Kind of like Michael Corleone holding a grudge on his brother in law for Santino's death.

I'll never forgive Stuart for Game 7.

Thank you. I thought was alone in a sea of blatant homerism where reality has no meaning and bad memories are buried under a mountain of wishes and worn out sappy cliches. Hef****** killed us in that game. He was an absolute idiot in that game. If you can't keep from playing like a complete moron in game 7 of the SCF, then what can you really expect of a player or why would you ever try? I could care less if he had a +75 this year, won the Norris with 100% of the votes and found a way to bring new life to the long dormant womb of Wayne Gretsky's mother and sprung forth to the world the hockey messiah. To invoke another cultural mobster character, Tony Soprano, when it comes to Stuart, "He's dead to me."

#60 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (RainingBlood @ February 6, 2010 - 06:35PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4.5 million a season for this? Ive never been so sick of seeing a player since Anders Eriksson. Also his whopping 2 goals and 9 assists to go along with his -11.

QUOTE (RainingBlood @ February 6, 2010 - 06:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you kidding me hef****** blows. He has single handindly costs the wings several games this season by hisf****** defensive zone turnovers that lead to goals. Take off your rose colored glasses.

QUOTE (RainingBlood @ February 6, 2010 - 06:52PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brad Stuart is a -11 Where Rafalski is a +13. You need to lay off the pipe.

Above are the posts I stopped at..... My goodness this is crap!

in case you havent noticed... the whole team is struggling right now... to blame one person is a crap thing to do and a DICK MOVE...

Ill admit that Stuart has not been Lidstrom.....Oh Wait....He's NOT!!!!!
Hell Lidstrom has not been Lidstrom.... Give it a rest...there is not ONE single player that deserves to be blamed for not holding a 3 goal lead.... how bout the rest of the team..... thumbdown.gif bad form!!!!

Trying to get a thread in about Brad? since there is one about every other player here sucking. According to all the player threads everyone sucks!!!!

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 07 February 2010 - 08:09 PM.