• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Winged_Wheeler

How does Brad McCrimmon STILL have a job?

Rate this topic

Wow, the level of BS is just rising and rising..

For the first time in what .. 21 years this team is struggling to make the playoffs and suddenly the assisent coach in charge of defense isn't good enough and has to go ?

Are we that out of people to blame ?

He was the topic of last years defensive issues as well.

While there are certainly people just riding a bandwagon here, the gripe about the defense tanking with McCrimmon is not a new gripe, nor is it wholly unfounded.

It's unbelievable how bad this team got at defense last season when really the only heavy changes were bringing in McCrimmon and Hossa, and Hossa's a defensively responsible forward. The year before, the team was one of the top defensive teams and seemingly overnight that falls apart, along with the PK?!?

And after this season, I don't know how you can't look at McCrimmon here. While we had a period of time in which we were playing great D (after half the team got injured and we had to play good D to stay alive) earlier in the season when healthy and now that we're healthy again, the defense looks even worse than it did last year, and that's saying a hell of a lot because it was downright s***ty last year more often than not.

There's a lot more I could say, but I feel like the writing is on the wall on this one. And while I don't think anything will be done real soon, I wouldn't be surprised if a change was quietly made in the off-season. Any way you look at it, these guys aren't getting the job done under his leadership. If he can't get them to tighten up and play smarter, then it's probably a good idea to make a change.

I don't mean to stir the pot here, but does anyone think that Babs' jobs is in jeopardy?

you're an idiot, go f*** yourself. If you're to blind sighted to see he is one of the best coaches in the game get off the bandwagon please.

Edited by Wingnut in WA

I don't mean to stir the pot here, but does anyone think that Babs' jobs is in jeopardy?

Honestly, yeah it is.

Really it might be better for us in the long run to miss the playoffs.

I really have been for the most part upset with how Babcock has run the team this year, I also think that we really screwed up the cap and have had three players on our team that simply do not belong. It might be time for them to have a big meeting and figure out how to get on the same page. Really even with the injuries, the top three players on the roster have still been there. I think that the player combinations have severely limited their effectiveness, and every time Babs finds a great chemistry combo, he effs it up by playing favorites.

Turnovers are not punished, instead the main offenders get more ice time. What gives?!

Im not quick to suggest that Babcock is the best coach in the league because hes not. Hes the same guy who will drive a line into the ground until three minutes left in the game and finally decide to change things. But hes certainly the best coach we've had since Scotty.

Babcock isn't going anywhere, the problem is the salary cap and Brad McCrimmon. If the Wings slide into the playoffs this season, Babcock should have a good shot at the Jack Adams.

I agree with this thread. Whenever an opposing player is near the net, nothing is done about it. Other teams remove the opposing player from near the net or at least keep them from getting their stick on the ice. It seems to me that the Wings aren't even practicing this. The defensive coach should recognize this. Also, I have noticed many times where the d-men gang up on a single player with the puck, leaving another wide open in front of the net. Again, the defensive coach should recognize this, and practice to fix this. There are also way too many odd man rushes (usually 2-on-1). The d should recognize when to get up in the play and when not to. I have a feeling that the team was trying to focus on more offense from the d, and kinda took a dip defensively (I felt the defense was doing pretty decent before this). If the team was doing so much better defensively two years ago, and the main change has been the defensive coach, then I say it is time to replace McCrimmon. Who can replace him though? Perhaps this is why they haven't done anything about it yet.

Edited by bd2988

Ok say McCrimmon was the problem and it was glaringly obvious to everyone coaches, management, media, fans the guy that used to run the D is now running the O so its not like you have to look far to find your fix. Geesh they could even swap jobs for 2 months and see what happens.

Paul MacLean Back to defense

Interesting point to be made here Id never seen an assistant coach fired mid term its usually the whole coaching staff that goes or just the head coach but before Ottawas big surge they fired their goal tending coach and look what happened there ay they also got Alfredson back but its just kind of interesting.

hmmmmmmmm

I'll agree with ya that part of the problem with our D is with McCrimmon - however just look where most of the goals were scored today, and in the past...Right ontop (or damn near) of our netminders.

It appears to me our "puck possession" style of play/mentality has hindered our Dmen; worrying about tying-up an opponents stick is more important than knocking him on his ass...None of our current Dmen (except Lilja) appear capable of getting an opponent off of Howard's front porch thus resulting in numerous attempts to knock Howard into the net as well as scoring garbage goals...This IMO has nothing to do with McCrimmon, but more or less growing a pair.

I don't really like McCrimmon but I agree with this^. Too many garbage goals by guys standing around in front of our net. Tollefsen plays the style we need. I'd like to see him in over Lebda or even Ericsson, who looked weak in front with Stuart yesterday.

esteef

Babcock is doing a good job, and there is no reason to let him go. He has proven himself as a coach here in Detroit. The Wings have been to the last game of the finals for two years. He must be doing something right. To explain this year I would say that it is a lack of player motivation combined with injuries. There isn't much the coach can do at the end of a game, down by 1, to get that much needed goal when the players arn't hungry for the win. Babcock needs to stay. I'll start questioning the judgment of our management if we let a coach like him go.

you're an idiot, go f*** yourself. If you're to blind sighted to see he is one of the best coaches in the game get off the bandwagon please.

You're the idiot. You fail to recognize that our team has been playing like absolute s*** and when a fan has concern about it, you tell them to get off the bandwagon. We score three goals and lose 4-3 in regulation, we have a 4-2 lead on the Coyotes, we lose 5-4 in OT, We get shut out 6-0 by the Islanders. Unacceptable.

Seems like it's been a carry over from last season.

Outside of the Cup year, this defense has been the same for the last few years. We have had the offense to cover it up, but with the injuries this year, we haven't. There has been more change over than just McCrimmon coming in. Paul MacLean was the coach of the defense, so if it was only the coach, why don't the do what they did in 08. Overall, they lost the forwards coach (defense is a team concept; the forwards need to back check). Also, whenever the Wings don't do well, it is usually that they can't score. This usually covers up defensive laps. Did anyone notice that when the PK and defense went up this year, our roster was mostly third/fourth liners whose primary responsibility is defense.

It's not about this man doing his job or not

This is just disgruntled fans looking for a scapegoat.

May, Leino, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Osgood, Draper, Rafalski, Ericsson, Stuart and now we've arrived at the coaching staff.

Next week it's Karen Newman..

" Does she have to sing so loud ? "

People have been complaining about McCrimmon for 2 years. This is nothing new.

People have been complaining about McCrimmon for 2 years. This is nothing new.

It's only vastly more evident this year because the Wings don't have the powerful offense to bail them out. Last season, giving up 3, 4, and even in some cases 5 goals a game wasn't a problem because their strategy to win always was to score more than the other team. Most often times, it worked. Not this year.

While I agree the defensemen having been missing their assignments a lot (Stuart & Ericsson most obviously) it doesn't seem to me that McCrimmon has done anything to rectify or change the situation. Try something new man.

I think that it might be best to send him packing, because at least a new defensive coach would bring in a fresh approach.