• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Swayze

Cherry ripping Lidstrom on Coach's Corner

Rate this topic

Tonight, Don Cherry was talking about Phaneuf, and brought up the Norris Trophy run 2 years ago. He started comparing him to the winner of it (Lidstrom, of course), said something like "I don't even wanna say his name, you know who i'm talking about", then he goes on to compare them by goals (10 to 17 in favor of Phaneuf), hits (20-some to 100-some, Phaneuf), fights (10-0, Phaneuf), and blocked shots (such a big lead he didn't even have to say, Phaneuf). Of course, he neglects to mention the stats that Lidstrom beat Phaneuf in, assists, points, and Plus-Minus (which was 40-12, Lidstrom). I don't know why I keep watching that guy, but I just had to vent this.

So, who else thinks the Norris should be won by the D-man with the most fights and hits? Because we could give a pep talk to Ericsson and start a website supporting him to make a run for it. Hell, let's convince Pain Train to risk his life to win one.

Guest mindfly

Yeah I saw that too... he's just like a forum troll =P

He also had to show Gretzky whine about non-calls and talk about canadian pride... what a joke

That blows.

Lidstrom has never been physical, but it has never been a weakness to his game. There are plenty of non-physical D-men who are adversely affected by it, but not Nick. I've never seen him get completely owned by someone bigger than him.

Someone should have told him that Bobby Orr was overrated just to provoke a fight.

Old Canadian fool.

Cherry is part of the minority anymore. He thinks every canadian is the biggest hardass ever and should win every award for it whereas every European is a softy and sucks. Dude needs to remove himself from hockey.

He dislikes Euro's like some people hate African Americans, Mexicans, Itialins, etc.

It's sad really, and he should be called out on it more often.

HE IS......don_imus.jpg

I ask if any broadcaster went on a U.S. television or radio station and said, "These Japanese and Dominicans are ruining the game of baseball," how long would that person remain employed?

Don Cherry's a moron.... nothing else really needs to be said.... he played 1 game in the NHL as a player, and never won a cup as a coach... why people think he has any special insight into the game is beyond me, he just has a hard on for big English speaking Canadian boys..

Guest ZetterbergFourty

What does Don Cherry know about winning a Norris Trophy anyways?

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Cherry is an *******. End of story. If the player isn't from Canada, then Cherry doesn't like him. Lidstrom at age 40 blows away anything Cherry did as a defenseman throughout his whole playing career.

Cherry is an *******. End of story. If the player isn't from Canada, then Cherry doesn't like him. Lidstrom at age 40 blows away anything Cherry did as a defenseman throughout his whole playing career.

Tollefsen blows away anything Cherry ever did as a defensemen.. the guy played 1 game in the NHL.

He dislikes Euro's like some people hate African Americans, Mexicans, Itialins, etc.

It's sad really, and he should be called out on it more often.

HE IS......don_imus.jpg

I ask if any broadcaster went on a U.S. television or radio station and said, "These Japanese and Dominicans are ruining the game of baseball," how long would that person remain employed?

Very refreshing to see that many canadians disagree with Cherry. That poll on the article was a good indication of that.

Very refreshing to see that many canadians disagree with Cherry. That poll on the article was a good indication of that.

Canadians just understand that Cherry, while a senile moron, in on-air for a whopping five minutes a week and thus can be easily ignored.

Edited by Cern

I used to be a Cherry fan, but he's lost all credibility in my mind the last few seasons. He's should have retired years ago.

Edit: Kelly Hrudey does and excellent job for CBC and should join Ron McLean after the first period instead of Don.

Edited by Barrie

What's funny is not even Calgary fans would agree with him. Phaneuf has to be one of the dumbest players in the NHL, so much freaking talent, but simply not a brain to match... out of position constantly, coughs the puck up continuously and has about 5 moments each game where you can literally read "Duhhhh, oops..." on his face.

It was a joke Phaneuf was ever runner-up for the Norris, even more of joke than Green last year.

Classic case of "hits = defense" mentality at work that year.

Edited by egroen

Don Cherry's a moron.... nothing else really needs to be said.... he played 1 game in the NHL as a player, and never won a cup as a coach... why people think he has any special insight into the game is beyond me, he just has a hard on for big English speaking Canadian boys..

And yet he has as many Jack Adams awards as Scotty Bowman.

Tonight, Don Cherry was talking about Phaneuf, and brought up the Norris Trophy run 2 years ago. He started comparing him to the winner of it (Lidstrom, of course), said something like "I don't even wanna say his name, you know who i'm talking about", then he goes on to compare them by goals (10 to 17 in favor of Phaneuf), hits (20-some to 100-some, Phaneuf), fights (10-0, Phaneuf), and blocked shots (such a big lead he didn't even have to say, Phaneuf). Of course, he neglects to mention the stats that Lidstrom beat Phaneuf in, assists, points, and Plus-Minus (which was 40-12, Lidstrom). I don't know why I keep watching that guy, but I just had to vent this.

So, who else thinks the Norris should be won by the D-man with the most fights and hits? Because we could give a pep talk to Ericsson and start a website supporting him to make a run for it. Hell, let's convince Pain Train to risk his life to win one.

Ever had a grandfather or uncle who really didn't age well? You know-- a proud, intelligent man who everyone respected that aged like an overripe banana? That's Don Cherry to me. He's always been proud to talk out of his ass about things (a male Sarah Palin you might say) but he was usually right (ok, so he's nothing like Sarah Palin). Well lately he's kept thinking like it's 1985 even when it's 25 years later.

After all, only two types of people wear a visor: ******* and people with 20/20 vision and intact orbital bones. ;)

Guest micah

Dumb comments by Cherry, a guy who understands the game better than the children who mock him give him credit for.