• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsownnhl43

Valtteri Filppula appreciation

Rate this topic

I'm actually pretty let down by him this season. I expected a lot more from him and he doesn't seem to have the skills and abilities that I thought he would show by now.

He has proven himself to be an egregious goal scorer.... nobody gets as many wide-open nets as he does, but he always finds a way to miss. His goal yesterday was cool, but it was lucky, his initial backhand wasn't even on net.

He is good defensively, but for the amount we are paying him and the role he was supposed to play this season.... I'm pretty disappointed.... yes yes, I know EVERYONE's points are down, etc., but I wanted to see a whole lot more from Fil this year.

So he's gotten a point in just about every game since he's been back from his injury and people are STILL saying he isn't showing enough?

Part of being a Wings fan. It's kind of like a disease. Someone should write up a symptom profile of both the good and bad.

He's been putting up some points lately. I still wish he'd shoot the damn puck more, but Datsyuk does the same s***. Last night when Pavel went into the slot then passed to the side boards I spilled my beer :( and did like my avatar <---

Edited by Pucks

All players are over paid in sports, Flip would be near the top of my list of bang for the buck on the wings, with Rafi at the bottom of it and Bert being the top of it.

Edited by Shaman464

He needs to learn better balance and stickhandling skills.

He looks to be all over the place when he's fumbling around with the puck out there. Falling down, getting back up, losing the puck, fighting back for it. Watch Datsyuk and Zetterberg when they have the puck. Much better balance and control. He's too wild.

The only other criticism I have is his shot, which isn't very good. He needs to work on his aim this offseason.

Still, he's been one of our best forwards lately. I don't expect him to become that much better than what he is now. People here have unrealistic expectations for him.

I appreciate Val. He scored a really nice goal two years ago, and at different points in time, he's received praise from Mike Babcock AND Teemu Selanne.

Plus, point streak! Can you believe what an offensive dynamo he is? I mean, 21 points in 32 games? I am amazed that he can combine this with his amazing defense (a respectable -7 this year, thank you very much!) and still manage to bring home ONLY, ONLY $3 M.

/sarcasm.

Nice guy, decent 3rd liner, and fan favorite perhaps bordering on bicuriosity for some.

Along with Jimmy Howard, I think he has been one of our few bright spots this season. I still think he can get beter and I dont think he has reached his potential yet, but I am very pleased with his progression.

Your thoughts on Val's play this season...

Val shows up for every game and especially so in the playoffs. I don't care if he hasn't reached a certain level of scoring, if the rest of the damn team had his attitude and work ethic this season we would all be holding hands and singing together with little to complain about. Heart, the kid has it and it's not the easiest thing to find in a player. Val is a keeper. Also, I think he would be a little less wild out there if the rest of the team was playing with as much hustle as they should and could.

Edited by Stiffy

Val shows up for every game and especially so in the playoffs. I don't care if he hasn't reached a certain level of scoring, if the rest of the damn team had his attitude and work ethic this season we would all be holding hands and singing together with little to complain about. Heart, the kid has it and it's not the easiest thing to find in a player. Val is a keeper.

Ru-dy. Ru-dy. Ru-dy!

If you'll let me, I'd like to make another movie reference. It's a bit more than a chant, though.

"Coach McGinty, what will it take for your team to come back in the 2nd half?"

"Heart."

And then, Shane "Footsteps" Filppula....err...Falco took the field.

In all seriousness, heart is nice, but if you don't care if one of your "top" forwards never reaches a certain level of scoring, you should be a fan of a beer league team. Although with Filppula.....all bets are off, as he and his followers live in Bizarro world. Maybe Bizarro Filppula would be worth his pay but people would hate him? Sorry, I'm a bit punchy. Enjoy your evening.

Just a decent third liner? This is just sheer stupidity and unrivaled bias. Even gcom will admit that if you put him on the third line you would have one of the best third lines in the NHL.

Filppula could finish with 40 points in 50 games (which is within reach if he plays on the second line) and you'd still say "SEE, FILPPULA WILL ONLY EVER SCORE 40 POINTS! OVERPAID"

Just a decent third liner? This is just sheer stupidity and unrivaled bias. Even gcom will admit that if you put him on the third line you would have one of the best third lines in the NHL.

Filppula could finish with 40 points in 50 games (which is within reach if he plays on the second line) and you'd still say "SEE, FILPPULA WILL ONLY EVER SCORE 40 POINTS! OVERPAID"

Well, if gcom will admit it, then.....

So.....we have to wait through another season (his 5th) for the potential of him playing a full season for my 40 point observation to be true?

Oh no....wait.....he's never topped it in 3. But if he had a career ending injury right now, I'm sure the HHOF would put him in based on potential and his ppg.

I like the guy, but he is what he is. He's a 3rd liner. You think more of him than I do, that's fine. I have guys like that as well (Maxim Lapierre, Ryan Kesler). No biggy.

If only this post could be true if it was the last reply this thread ever has.

No need to be snotty; if not for me and my obvious anti-Filppula bias, how else would he know (perhaps somehow....hope against hope and all that) that you are soulmates?

When this team is desperate for goals and a player like Flip is making $3 million to be among the worst forwards on the team in goal scoring, there's a problem. If his 40 points were demonstrative of Datsyuk-esque playmaking ability, it'd be one thing, but they're simply not.

I've never said Flip is a bad player. I think he's a great defensive player and he's got a good attitude. I generally really appreciate defensive guys, but on this team, if you're primary asset is defense, you're a 3rd/checking line guy and you're making $1-1.5 million tops.

I think Flip's a solid 2nd line center on a lot of teams, and for that matter, I think he'd find a lot more personal success on other teams. I also think on other teams, his contract would be reasonable.

On the Red Wings, he'll always be 3rd in line at best for centers considering we've got two of the top two-way centers in the game on this squad. He racks up assists because we still have good guys around and he gets a lot of quality ice time, but he doesn't score goals and again, he's always going to be overshadowed by Dats and Z.

In the Detroit Red Wings Context, we desperately need goals which he simply doesn't provide with any sort of authority, and I think it's unlikely that he'll ever do so. It's not the end of the world for him by any means as he still has plenty of upside in other areas, but this team needs different tools right now.

We need goals. It's simple.

Even as a superfan of Flip, I don't see how you can't recognize this simple matter for what it is and admit that there's credence to the idea that his cap hit might best be used to make room for another guy who specializes in scoring goals. And furthermore, can you not admit that he'd be a better fit on other teams if you really feel he is as talented as he is considering he's always going to be the 3rd center so long as Dats and Z are here?

I have guys like that as well (Maxim Lapierre, Ryan Kesler). No biggy.

You make this so easy, dude.

All your logic here:

First 3 seasons in the NHL Kesler averaged 25 points.

First 3 seasons in the NHL Filppula averaged 31 points.

So going from his first 3 seasons, Filppula will never top 40 points. But Kesler's first 3 seasons were worse than Filppula's, so he must be a crappy 40 point third liner right? How can you possibly like him?

Oh and PS, no one is saying he should go in the HHOF. So please, stop making yourself look stupid with stupid exaggerations.