• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsownnhl43

Valtteri Filppula appreciation

Rate this topic

Filp is a very good offensively and defensively. He goes to the "dirty areas" and battles for the puck. He is much stronger on the puck than he has been in the past. He is one of our faster guys. If you see Filp as no better than a 3rd liner there is something wrong with you.

I'm with ya on Maltby. I still think he has that certain 'something' to be an effective player in the playoffs.

Malts completely knocked Crosby off his game at times in the playoffs last year. I have never seen a guy run his mouth so consistently, with a few exceptions.

At the risk of sounding like Thanksgiving at the Filppula house, I'm thankful for Val's offensive production since returning in December. He's been a member of the top 3 forwards since then.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Didn't we already go through all this "overpaid" talk?

The average cap hit for guys having about the same ppg than Filppula was about 2,7M. Looking at the points, Filppula was overpaid by about 300k. But that's only when counting in also those entry level contract guys. If you compare him only to the guys who are not on entry level contracts - which would be fair IMO - he's not overpaid. It was a statistic fact, no need to argue about that. AND that's only looking at the points. All this being easily in top10 defensively among those about 50 players who had about the same ppg than Filppula.

Filppula isn't overpaid. End of discussion.

Filppula was ranked #39th in PPG for all players in the playoffs last year (and this is taking into account that he played on the third line for half of the games). We can argue semantics of what spectacular means, but that's damn good for what you think is a "third liner".

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_...type/3/count/41

According to that, he was ranked 46th....just behind Brent Seabrook.

Flip is 10 times the player he was when the Wings drafted him and he's only going to get better. It's been great to follow his progress and I'm pulling for him 100%. He also has a terrific attitude and is a down-to-earth kind of guy. He's going to be one of Finland's key players in the Olympics.

I'm sorry, I meant forwards.

Not really a useful statistic anyways when the majority of the players used only participated in a handful of games. But 16 points in 23 games from a third liner is certainly good no matter how you slice it. Although I think he benefited tremendously from often playing with Hossa and Franzen, two top notch goal scorers that are capable of a lot of improvisation and don't really rely on a playmaking center much.

Flip is 10 times the player he was when the Wings drafted him and he's only going to get better. It's been great to follow his progress and I'm pulling for him 100%. He also has a terrific attitude and is a down-to-earth kind of guy. He's going to be one of Finland's key players in the Olympics.

Any ideas where he'll play in the lineup? I've heard talk on here that he might play on the first line but I've read articles that place him on the third.

Not really a useful statistic anyways when the majority of the players used only participated in a handful of games. But 16 points in 23 games from a third liner is certainly good no matter how you slice it. Although I think he benefited tremendously from often playing with Hossa and Franzen, two top notch goal scorers that are capable of a lot of improvisation and don't really rely on a playmaking center much.

Also you're only taking into account half of the players. But while it couldn't stand on it's own, it still goes back to, and supports the notion that he should be on the second line.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Any ideas where he'll play in the lineup? I've heard talk on here that he might play on the first line but I've read articles that place him on the third.
If there won't be any major injuries the first line will be Filppula-Koivu-Ruutu.

Thats why are team was so good the last few years. Our third line was full of players, like Flip, Sammy, and Hudler, who are all capable of being second line scorers.

He's versatile so he can easily be switched up and down in the lineup but he'll probably play wing on the top line due to the abundance of centers on the roster. He will definitely be seeing a lot of ice time either way.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Val's been great since returning, and is the only player besides Miller and Howard this year to actually overperform.

Hats off Val.

Flip's second goal in as many games (unheard of!) gives him his 10th point in 11 games, and 16th point in 20 games. :)

I don't think it's crazy to say that his injury actually somehow made him a better player.

I certainly think the injury made him hungrier. That hunger definitely shows. Earlier in his career his was much more hot/cold. I love how consistent he's been since December.

They should transfuse some of his blood to the rest of the team. Whatever motivates this guy to play so hard is a great thing. He looks like a teen idol, but plays so damn hard and shows no fear. Flip and Howard are bright spots this season.

They should transfuse some of his blood to the rest of the team. Whatever motivates this guy to play so hard is a great thing. He looks like a teen idol, but plays so damn hard and shows no fear. Flip and Howard are bright spots this season.

:clap:

He's busting his ass for the team and there's nothing that I love more. I wish that fire was a bit more contagious.