• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsownnhl43

Valtteri Filppula appreciation

Rate this topic

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-7&id=76830

Babcock: "Fil's been great, the other two guys gotta get going"

It's only the pre-season, but Filppula looks so good right now. He oozes confidence with the puck, and is making things happen. This will be his year. 25-30 goals, 75+ points (if he and Franzen stays healthy). Maybe more. Bank on it.

I am, but I was banking on it last year too. I like all the little things he does but this season hes really just gotta start scoring. If that 2nd line becomes the legitimate scoring threat that should become, I will be a happy homer.

I haven't had the opportunity to watch every preseason game, but from what I've seen Flip and Rafalski have far and away been the Wings' best players thus far. Flip is using his speed to great effect and actually shooting the puck, high and hard. Franzen and Bertuzzi to this point appear to just be tagging along; I can forgive Mule for being a little slow after the injury and Bert is probably just being Bert, though.

It's only the pre-season, but Filppula looks so good right now. He oozes confidence with the puck, and is making things happen. This will be his year. 25-30 goals, 75+ points (if he and Franzen stays healthy). Maybe more. Bank on it.

I'm the biggest Filppula fan around (well maybe second to you!) but I see him putting up 60 points max this season. I've come to the conclusion that he is an extremely good hockey player, but for whatever reason, the points just don't really come. 18G, 37A for mine.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too fond of the second line. Does it have enough speed for Flip? Personally I'd have Huds-Flip-Franzen, I know Huds isn't quick, but he's got chemistry with Flip. I give the current second line 10 games before it's broken up.

As long as he continually produces in the playoffs and is constantly one of our best players in the playoffs, then I could care less if he has a 50 point season.

Well said. :thumbup: He's always one of our best playoff performers.

This will be his year. 25-30 goals, 75+ points (if he and Franzen stays healthy). Maybe more. Bank on it.

If that happens, all while everyone else maintains their average to above average point production, then I think you should get a prize from those who are relatively anti-Flip.

He's looked great for years. And each year was going to be "His year."

You can look great without being great.

I think people need to accept he's never going to have a breakout year and will never be anything more than a decent 2nd line center.

And each year was going to be "His year."

No. Last year was the only year he started on on the second line and then he got injured for a third of a season. 08/09 might have been but Hossa put him down the depth chart, and the year before that you couldn't have expected him breaking out his second year in the league. So that's pretty much just an excuse people use against Filppula when they really don't look at the facts.

No. Last year was the only year he started on on the second line and then he got injured for a third of a season. 08/09 might have been but Hossa put him down the depth chart, and the year before that you couldn't have expected him breaking out his second year in the league. So that's pretty much just an excuse people use against Filppula when they really don't look at the facts.

He didn't even start last year on the second line. He was still the third line center in between Leino and Williams.

Even more evidence of my point. People act like Filppula has had endless opportunity to score 70 points. He hasn't. When he has had the opportunity, he has shown he can produce. Looks at his playoff totals the past 2 years. Before getting injured in the second round last year he had 7 points in 7 games in the first round. I could go on, but it would be beating a dead horse.

Here we go again.

A healthy, rejuvenated Franzen will play on the second line and a healthy, rejuvenated Dan Cleary on the third. Franzen will skate with Valterri Filppula, from whom more is expected this year, and Todd Bertuzzi, and Cleary with Mike Modano and Jiri Hudler. Filppula and Modano may be rotated from time to time.

"When a veteran player like that slips a little bit, he doesn't have to play against the other team's top line," Holland said. "We have enough offensive players now that, even on the third line, Mike will play with two pretty skilled players who play to his strength. And he might even move up to the second hole."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101006/SPORTS0103/10060303/1128/Healthy-Wings-locked-and-reloaded#ixzz11Ymf8AjG

Fil, for God's sake, shoot the damn puck!