213 replies to this topic

#41 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Broken 16 @ February 7, 2010 - 09:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uhhh... his point was that he also has players that he has an irrational fondness for. We all do.

I love Maltby.

That doesn't mean I think he's going to be a great scorer. It doesn't mean I flip out when he's scratched. It doesn't mean that I get pissed when people think he's a waste of space who should retire.

And all that said, the most important thing to know is I've got enough common sense to not shove it down everyone's throats at any and every opportunity and argue voraciously in defense of him. I enjoy what the guy does, I laugh when he runs his mouth after the whistles, and I keep it to myself 99% of the time.

It goes a long way in avoiding controversy...
-Elliot...does not panic.

#42 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (RedWingAbner @ February 7, 2010 - 09:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes it is, because it's an opinion. He was all right, but it's not a definitive fact that he was spectacular....that's immeasurable.

Filppula was ranked #39th in PPG for all forwards in the playoffs last year (and this is taking into account that he played on the third line for half of the games). We can argue semantics of what spectacular means, but that's damn good for what you think is a "third liner".

Edited by Z and D for the C, 08 February 2010 - 10:16 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#43 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ February 7, 2010 - 09:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They were only put together again lately to try and get Z going after injury. It's not a permanent thing and it never was.

This is a small point, but from the second Franzen was injured, Babcock had Zetterberg And Datsyuk together, with Filppula on the second line. Then when Filppula went down he had to split them up again. It was supposed to be permanent without Franzen until Filppula went down.

And I think with Filppula doing as well as he since since his return, we can put Datsyuk and Zetterberg together on the first line and still have an excellent second line with Franzen Filppula and Bertuzzi, without sacrificing any bottom 6 depth.

And I'm not sure how the logic goes when you say that if Z and Pav haven't been doing well together, so they'll start doing well when they're apart.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 07 February 2010 - 09:49 PM.

#44 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

i'd say flip is solid at what he does, protect the puck until he can make a scoring chance happen, kinda like dats. having said that, he doesn't have nearly the scoring touch that I so badly want him to possess. When dats shoots the puck, he is deadly, even though he doesn't do it often, he chooses his times wisely. Flip just doesnt seem to know when to shoot, and when he does, its not usually of the highest quality sometimes.

I see him being a good second liner on many teams, but with the wings, he doesnt cut it. With Franzen back, we don't need flip in the top 2, cause we have a good handful of guys that are good at scoring [b] and[/b] creating chances. On the wings, flip fits great into a third line, because he gets to play cheaper defensmen and dominate more on his shifts. Thats why i'd prefer to see him on the third line, because he would be a very talented third liner with a knack for causing scoring chances, which is great to get out of a thrid line. no doubt though that he should be a second liner, just not here in detroit at this moment. When some of our older guys (homer, bert) kick it, flip would be prime to replace them as a top 2 liner.

By the way, did I say I love the guy? wouldn't want to see him traded away.

#45 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ February 7, 2010 - 09:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a small point, but from the second Franzen was injured, Babcock had Zetterberg And Datsyuk together, with Filppula on the second line. Then when Filppula went down he had to split them up again. It was supposed to be permanent without Franzen until Filppula went down.

And I think with Filppula doing as well as he since since his return, we can put Datsyuk and Zetterberg together on the first line and still have an excellent second line with Franzen Filppula and Bertuzzi, without sacrificing any bottom 6 depth.

Oh yeah?

How strong have Bert's numbers been since Babcock broke he and Datsyuk up and started playing him with Flip more? How many goals has he scored while on the ice with Flip? How was his point production in general looking before he got broken up from Dats and since?

You know, it's real funny, because I recall a dead halt to Bert's production when he got paired with Flip, and at times he's looked like more of a play-maker on the line than a goal scorer. His 3 goals since have all come while paired with Datsyuk in an irregular situation.

So pardon me, but if Bert can dry up on a line with Flip after a steady patch of scoring (and no lack of solid play from him on a personal level) I'm terrified of what would happen with Flip centering possibly our 2 purest goal scorers once Franzen returns.

Even if you want to say that Flip can center the 2nd line, it should be painfully obvious at this point that he and Bert have ABSOLUTELY NO CHEMISTRY WHATSOEVER.

How can you expect me to trust your judgement on Flip when you seem to think that Flip and Bert are an obvious choice to exist on a line together?

These are what the lines will most likely look like when healthy:

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary
Miller-Filppula-Williams (Maltby in and out probably on this line)
Draper-Helm-Eaves

Edited by gcom007, 07 February 2010 - 10:12 PM.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#46 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

Bertuzzi's production halted well before he start playing with Filppula, chief. When Filppula got back he centered a line between Miller and Leino, not Bertuzzi.

And it's not like Bertuzzi hit his goal streak the second he started playing with Pav. Bertuzzi was hot because he was hot, not because he was playing with Datsyuk (though obviously, playing with datsyuk will make any player score more).

Edited by Z and D for the C, 07 February 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#47 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary
Miller-Filppula-Williams (Maltby in and out probably on this line)
Draper-Helm-Eaves

This i agree with for sure. love it. flip has williams as a triggerman, and miller as some net pressence down low/grinding. dominating 3rd line to me.

#48 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Bertuzzi scored 2 goals in Filppula's return (playing with Pav), he then went 8 games without a goal.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how many of the games he played with Datsyuk?

He then had 3 goals in 12 games. Just 4 of those were played on Filppula's wing. This is all going by the GDT threads.

Bertuzzi's lack of goal scoring has nothing to due with Filppula, it has everything to do with Bertuzzi. Try some other argument. Yours doesn't work.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 07 February 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#49 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (gcom007 @ February 7, 2010 - 09:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love Maltby.

That doesn't mean I think he's going to be a great scorer. It doesn't mean I flip out when he's scratched. It doesn't mean that I get pissed when people think he's a waste of space who should retire.

And all that said, the most important thing to know is I've got enough common sense to not shove it down everyone's throats at any and every opportunity and argue voraciously in defense of him. I enjoy what the guy does, I laugh when he runs his mouth after the whistles, and I keep it to myself 99% of the time.

It goes a long way in avoiding controversy...

I'm with ya on Maltby. I still think he has that certain 'something' to be an effective player in the playoffs.

#50 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (Broken 16 @ February 7, 2010 - 10:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with ya on Maltby. I still think he has that certain 'something' to be an effective player in the playoffs.

Agree.

#51 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

Filp is a very good offensively and defensively. He goes to the "dirty areas" and battles for the puck. He is much stronger on the puck than he has been in the past. He is one of our faster guys. If you see Filp as no better than a 3rd liner there is something wrong with you.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Broken 16 @ February 7, 2010 - 10:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Malts completely knocked Crosby off his game at times in the playoffs last year. I have never seen a guy run his mouth so consistently, with a few exceptions.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

At the risk of sounding like Thanksgiving at the Filppula house, I'm thankful for Val's offensive production since returning in December. He's been a member of the top 3 forwards since then.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#54 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ February 7, 2010 - 07:59PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the risk of sounding like Thanksgiving at the Filppula house, I'm thankful for Val's offensive production since returning in December. He's been a member of the top 3 forwards since then.

Couldn't agree with you more.

#55 Kwame_Kilpatrick

Kwame_Kilpatrick

Dr. Rahmani

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:13 AM

he is great and he is the heart of the club along with howie and helm
usa olympics <3

#56 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:24 AM

Looks like Babs will go back to having Fil as the third line center (Boo!).

Not my preference personally but at least he'll still get the minutes he deserves.

#57 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:27 AM

Didn't we already go through all this "overpaid" talk?

The average cap hit for guys having about the same ppg than Filppula was about 2,7M. Looking at the points, Filppula was overpaid by about 300k. But that's only when counting in also those entry level contract guys. If you compare him only to the guys who are not on entry level contracts - which would be fair IMO - he's not overpaid. It was a statistic fact, no need to argue about that. AND that's only looking at the points. All this being easily in top10 defensively among those about 50 players who had about the same ppg than Filppula.

Filppula isn't overpaid. End of discussion.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#58 RedWingAbner

RedWingAbner

My Loony Bun Is Fine, Benny Lava

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Z and D for the C @ February 7, 2010 - 09:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Filppula was ranked #39th in PPG for all players in the playoffs last year (and this is taking into account that he played on the third line for half of the games). We can argue semantics of what spectacular means, but that's damn good for what you think is a "third liner".

http://espn.go.com/n...type/3/count/41

According to that, he was ranked 46th....just behind Brent Seabrook.

#59 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Flip is 10 times the player he was when the Wings drafted him and he's only going to get better. It's been great to follow his progress and I'm pulling for him 100%. He also has a terrific attitude and is a down-to-earth kind of guy. He's going to be one of Finland's key players in the Olympics.
Thank You TeeMan

#60 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (RedWingAbner @ February 8, 2010 - 08:21AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://espn.go.com/n...type/3/count/41

According to that, he was ranked 46th....just behind Brent Seabrook.

I'm sorry, I meant forwards.