• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Barrie

... born and raised in SOUTH DETROIT!

Rate this topic

I've been a Wings fan since the late 1980's, is there an official beginning to the fans at The Joe singing along to Journey's Don't Stop Believing? Off hand I think it was something that started in the 2008 Playoffs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember it prior to the 2008 Cup run.

Just like the "Let's Go Red Wings" chant, if I remember correctly, it became a regular chant at the Joe in the 1995 Playoffs.

Guest Lidstromboli

it's such a bad song that's been whored out over the past couple years

gg sopranos

I've been a Wings fan since the late 1980's, is there an official beginning to the fans at The Joe singing along to Journey's Don't Stop Believing? Off hand I think it was something that started in the 2008 Playoffs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember it prior to the 2008 Cup run.

Just like the "Let's Go Red Wings" chant, if I remember correctly, it became a regular chant at the Joe in the 1995 Playoffs.

I don't think this is the type of thing you can put an "Official" date to. It happened once and became a thing. Probably because the DJ liked it. The end...

I don't know when they began playing it at the Joe, but Journey recorded the album that song is on in Southfield, and if I remember correctly they assumed it was "South Detroit". I agree the song is way overplayed, but it's still nice to hear it at JLA.

Love the song and will never grow tired of listening to it. Hairs stand up on the back when the crowd lets rip with South Detroit.
:bad:

grabbed this s*** from wikipedia.........The 2005 Chicago White Sox played "Don't Stop Believin' prominently during their championship run and Steve Perry sang the song with White Sox players AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede among others during their championship celebration. In 2008, in a tight battle for first place with the Arizona Diamondbacks in the National League West, the Los Angeles Dodgers began to play "Don't Stop Believin'" in the middle of the 8th inning at all of their home games.[12] Subsequently, the song was played at Dodger home games throughout the 2009 season, much to the chagrin of Steve Perry, a self-proclaimed San Francisco Giants fan.[12] The song is also commonly played at Detroit Red Wings and Washington Capitals hockey games.....there you go. s*** is hella played out, and it give my BUTT hairs the twichie twichie.

Edited by soultrain

I dont mind hearing it at the Joe. Especially when they were playing it at the tail end of games 1 and 2 of the SCF last season.

Total bay area band. San Francisco and such. They have quite a few songs about the bay and SF.

Really? I don't remember it in the 98 finals. I have games 1+ 2 recorded, I should watch them again and listen.

Ooops you are right, I confused it with another, the hockey town song in. :blink:

Re-watched the second game and man that was awesome. What a goal by Draper! Man I miss those days with the Thorne calls.

Edited by SiLkK19

you can tell journey must not be from michigan. there's no 'south detroit' per se. there's 'downriver' and then there's windsor. maybe toledo=south detroit? detroit is more of a east/west thing split by woodward. i'm just sayin

Yeah, what he said! It always drives me a little nuts to hear them say "South Detroit", when you would never, ever hear a local refer to it that way! Maybe I'm just a purist. When I am singing along with the song on the radio I always sing "Born and raised in Oakland County"! Doesn't fit as well, but a little more accurate. Still, I do like the tune.

I can't say for-sure when it started at the Joe or even when people started singing along, but I've been going to rock concerts since the early 90's and whenever it was played, either as an intro to a band or during intermission, the crowd would jump in.

that bit always bugged me too, ever since it first came out. if she was born in "south detroit", she was either born in windsor, or she's a mermaid and was born in the river...

but yeah...earliest i remember it playing at the joe was '08.

Don't Stop Believing, Sweet Caroline, and Rock & Roll All Night have all been staples of JLA for the last 12+ years.

Although it would be nice to bring in something fresh the Joe singing Sweet Caroline and Rock & Roll during game 5 of the SCF last year was simply amazing. IIRC the TV guys brought that up saying something like the music stops when play resumes but don't tell that to the fans at the Joe cause they're not going to stop.

So...Southfield is a nearby by suburb and they called it "South Detroit"

Sounds like a lot of people I meet from the east side that are from a suburb but like to tell me they are from Detroit. That's when I have to tell they are a tool.

So...Southfield is a nearby by suburb and they called it "South Detroit"

Sounds like a lot of people I meet from the east side that are from a suburb but like to tell me they are from Detroit. That's when I have to tell they are a tool.

Yep...Steve Perry wrote part of the song in a Holiday Inn in Southfield, Michigan. For artistic reasons he used South Detroit. True.

Don't Stop Believing, Sweet Caroline, and Rock & Roll All Night have all been staples of JLA for the last 12+ years.

Although it would be nice to bring in something fresh the Joe singing Sweet Caroline and Rock & Roll during game 5 of the SCF last year was simply amazing. IIRC the TV guys brought that up saying something like the music stops when play resumes but don't tell that to the fans at the Joe cause they're not going to stop.

First time I remember hearing "Sweet Caroline" was when the Wings beat Colorado 7-0 in game #7, 2002. The DJ played it near the end of the game, knowing Carolina was our next opponent.

Never liked Journey, but now that I live far from Detroit, it does bring goosebumps when i hear the entire Joe sing that line at the top of their lungs. When they do it at the games, I crank it up so the whole frikin neighborhood can hear it thru my stereo.

That is one of only two things I like about Journey. The other is one of their ex girlfriends named Vivian that I dated. Vivian, if you are now a Wings fan and you read this, thanks for the memories.. :D

Edited by T.Low